Preview NAB Challenge (Round 4): North Melbourne v Hawthorn (Sat. Night at Etihad Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said this before, but I don't think Dumont will ever get an extended run in this team.

Without a proper run at it this year, i could see him looking at a shift home or elsewhere. Done absolutely nothing wrong and deserves a go at it but just cant see who he pushes out for long periods.

Yeah, but he just isn't that outside class (he can play there, but is better suited inside)

IMO, he'll seek opportunity elsewhere and I wouldn't blame him.

It's the balancing act all good clubs have to do.

Hawthorn have had no issues blooding players in key roles over the course of a season. Brad needs to learn to give Swallow, JZ, Cunnington, Wells, NDS etc rests at certain points in the season.

It's all down to how strong you start the season and your position on the ladder. It will be interesting how Brad tackles this situation, not only with Dumont, but Wood/Black, McDonald/Mullett/Hibberd etc

He's publicly come out and said he has a responsibility to the next 2-3 years, not just this year, lets see if he can prove it.

I don't think they will play both McDonald and Mullett, I think the coaches will prefer Garner and Anderson vs McDonald and Mullett.

3 of Garner, Anderson, McDonald and Mullett will play.
Yeah agree i'v thought the same thing that McDonald and Mullet are fighting for one spot this year.

And speaking of Dumont i'm suprised he is not in the team.

I'm willing to put forward the suggestion that if Garner's form doesn't pick up, maybe it's worth Dumont taking his spot for that half-forward/mid role and get him to play more minutes up forward and Ziebell up forward more.

I think Ziebell needs to play forward giving Dumont an extra run at it.

I think he is a very natural footballer with elite vision.
This. I know criticising Ziebell can sometimes go down poorly on here and this might be a little crazy, but with a run of games I could see Dumont being a more effective inside mid than Ziebell. From what I've seen he has better composure in traffic and better vision than Jack, he's more in the Cunnington mold of inside mid with poise, composure and vision, rather than the bustling wrecking ball style of Ziebell and I personally prefer the former style rather than the latter.

Jacobs less so because of his role imo, but definitely Gibson/NDS are huge chances of falling behind especially if Clarke has a cracker first season. NDS is still good enough, but cant rely on his past to get him picked this year imo. Few big calls to be expected this year and NDS/Gibson could be one of them.

If Dal is left out at any point this year other then a "rest" then i can see it being the beginning of the end for him.

The only problem I have with Jacobs being a career tagger is that taggers can burn out very quickly. We need him to take the next step and win the ball

This. I know criticising Ziebell can sometimes go down poorly on here and this might be a little crazy, but with a run of games I could see Dumont being a more effective inside mid than Ziebell. From what I've seen he has better composure in traffic and better vision than Jack, he's more in the Cunnington mold of inside mid with poise, composure and vision, rather than the bustling wrecking ball style of Ziebell and I personally prefer the former style rather than the latter.

Even give Dumont that last bench spot, allows ziebell and cunnington to spend more time forward.

Dumont is quite dangerous in the forward 50. I recall him kicking multiple goals for norwood in his junior years.

He is also quite capable across half back too, he can fill multiple roles which is why I think he should be developed.

Even give Dumont that last bench spot, allows ziebell and cunnington to spend more time forward.

Dumont is quite dangerous in the forward 50. I recall him kicking multiple goals for norwood in his junior years.

He is also quite capable across half back too, he can fill multiple roles which is why I think he should be developed.

He's basically a carbon copy of Jack and Ben.

Can we fit all three in?

He's basically a carbon copy of Jack and Ben.

Can we fit all three in?

I'd prefer to get Anderson, Garner, Dumont, Cunners, Ziebell, Higgins & Thomas all rotating from mid/forward

Macmillan, Dal, Atley, Mullett, McDonald, Jacobs, rotating Defence & mid

I'm sure I've missed a few or whatever but you get the drift

It's the balancing act all good clubs have to do.

Hawthorn have had no issues blooding players in key roles over the course of a season. Brad needs to learn to give Swallow, JZ, Cunnington, Wells, NDS etc rests at certain points in the season.

It's all down to how strong you start the season and your position on the ladder. It will be interesting how Brad tackles this situation, not only with Dumont, but Wood/Black, McDonald/Mullett/Hibberd etc

He's publicly come out and said he has a responsibility to the next 2-3 years, not just this year, lets see if he can prove it.

This I agree with. We just have to start strong and be in a position to rest some of those inside guys (or alternatively rest a HFF / HBF and relocate someone like JZ or Cunnington for a couple of weeks. Swallow is a rest only option IMHO.

They are both natural accumulators, Clarke is more outside and links the play better though, he stretches the lines, which is probably needed more from a bench player.

Jacobs/Gibson and potentially NDS would want to have strong starts to the season.

What's NDS' contract situation? With the Vet's list being abolished, we won't be losing a huge amount of output on the field if we give his game time to Dumont or Clarke next season, on probably 25% of the wages.

With you on this too. Especially NDS. Dumont is an accumulator yes but he's probably seen as too similar in type to Swallow, JZ, Cunnington. I'd be keen to get him in rest Swallow and push Ziebell to CHF for a week here or there - then see what happens. Dumont may take the bull by the horns a la Jacobs '15 and make himself unmoveable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mullet & McDonald are gunning for Firitto/Wright's spot.

Dumont has more chance of being cabcharge's man of the year than getting a game at the moment.

The only problem I have with Jacobs being a career tagger is that taggers can burn out very quickly. We need him to take the next step and win the ball
Kane Cornes and Brady Rawlings would disagree with this!

Jacobs often looked lost and out of position before he started tagging. last year he averaged 15 disposals getting taken to the ball. If he builds on this and keeps learning to get his own ball he could easily turn into a very good midfielder in his own right. The tagging role is going to be very interesting this year. Players cant go to the bench to try and disrupt a tag if tis not a planned rotation....but then they might just do so to throw the oppositions planned rotations out.

Is Ben Brown hurt or something?
Spotted him leaving aami park with his girlfriend
Today is the player's day off so they could have been doing anything

What's NDS' contract situation? With the Vet's list being abolished, we won't be losing a huge amount of output on the field if we give his game time to Dumont or Clarke next season, on probably 25% of the wages.

Dal Santo missed a lot of football last year and had the most serious injury to recover from his career IIRC. the effect injuries have can be heavily under rated on this board.

Expecting a really valuable year from Dal. The ultimate pro who hasn't missed a beat this pre season.

Kane Cornes and Brady Rawlings would disagree with this!

Jacobs often looked lost and out of position before he started tagging. last year he averaged 15 disposals getting taken to the ball. If he builds on this and keeps learning to get his own ball he could easily turn into a very good midfielder in his own right. The tagging role is going to be very interesting this year. Players cant go to the bench to try and disrupt a tag if tis not a planned rotation....but then they might just do so to throw the oppositions planned rotations out.

There are always exceptions. Although both played other roles too. Also, let's not put Jacobs in the Cornes & Rawlings convo yet.

Just saying if Jacobs can't start wining more of the ball he will be overtaken IMO. That's not to diminish what he's done, just that he needs to add another string to his bow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back