Opinion NAB Challenge - Who do you want to see?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well what I look forward to in every preseason is not just which young kid is putting their hand up for senior selection but how the team is functioning as a whole. Sure the preseason is used by many a side to experiment but this season I want our team to hit the season proper in full flight. So on that I'll be interested in how we move the ball. Team structures. How we defend. That sort of s**t. Some indication as to how serious we are in setting our selfs up for a Big Season. :stern look
Very true. I am tired of seeing us trying to implement stuff in the first half of the year that just doesn't work only to go back to basics later in the year and play catch up. Hopefully whatever strategies we put in place are effective from the get go. FWIW we have been focussing a lot on ball use under pressure and quick movement, with best early option the focus. This is evidenced by no clear direction for attacks (as in we don't focus solely down the middle or down the wings, we are taking the best option and working on using it well under pressure (fundamentals yay)).

I just hope we give most players a go and then when it comes to the last game, play the best 24 of the pre-season. Our ball movement, ball use and forward structure have been poor for a while. If there is an answer found, I don't care if Scotty T or Drew get left out, we go with what works. Drew may kick 40 odd goals a season but he rarely stands up against the best sides.

The 3rd game should be our best 26 (or however many in the squad) and use it for genuine match practice so we are properly tuned up for round 1 (for a change). I would like to see the 1st and 2nd games rotate the squad a bit more, but at the same time make sure our key midfield, forward and defensive combinations have at least one game together, especially the midfield mix with Wellsy back in the fold.

A few specific things I will be looking out for:
- Garner, Anderson, LT, and Turner auditioning for small forward spots,
- Daw being played in tandem with Goldy at some stage,
- Durdin, Fordham, Clarke, and Hibberd getting a gig,
- the form and fitness of Hansen and Thompson, coming off a poor 2015,
- enjoying the class unit of Wellsy, Boomer, Higgins, and NDS,
- and just having the footy back.

I would like to see our best 22 not play more than 2 games.

Full dress rehearsal against the Hawks in the last match.

Before that i would like to see Maj, Wood, Black, Durdin, Dumont etc all play lots of minutes against the Saints and Pies.

Not opposed to the new draftees playing some game time if the club thinks they are up to it.

The 3rd game should be our best 26 (or however many in the squad) and use it for genuine match practice so we are properly tuned up for round 1 (for a change). I would like to see the 1st and 2nd games rotate the squad a bit more, but at the same time make sure our key midfield, forward and defensive combinations have at least one game together, especially the midfield mix with Wellsy back in the fold.

Agree.
You,BTron,Zondor and Moti have the right idea about our best team on the park for the last NAB game. We need to hit the ground running from round 1 with our draw being easier in the first half than the last. If we are going to be top 4, we need to be top 4 minimum from round 12 on wards. Our last NAB game is V Hawthorn, so it will be a good test for us to get everything right for round 1 V Adelaide.

The first 2 rounds will be good to rotate the fringe players and see if we have found some improvement from them to push for a round 1 birth, and to see if Wellsy and Anderson are ready. For me, I'm a huge Will Fordham fan from what I've seen on the net. If he can play well in the NAB, I'm sure he will be elevated quickly. All of the above will play at some stage, with Wellsy, Boomer, Higgins,Swallow and NDS playing the last 2 NAB games to gel as they really haven't had the chance at any time, due to injury.

Prelim team last year, could be rotated with player/s in first 2 rounds of NAB in bold:
The senior players with potential senior players next to them IMO are most at risk to lose their position

B

HB

C

HF

F

FOL

I/C

SUB

Agree.
You,BTron,Zondor and Moti have the right idea about our best team on the park for the last NAB game. We need to hit the ground running from round 1 with our draw being easier in the first half than the last. If we are going to be top 4, we need to be top 4 minimum from round 12 on wards. Our last NAB game is V Hawthorn, so it will be a good test for us to get everything right for round 1 V Adelaide.

The first 2 rounds will be good to rotate the fringe players and see if we have found some improvement from them to push for a round 1 birth, and to see if Wellsy and Anderson are ready. For me, I'm a huge Will Fordham fan from what I've seen on the net. If he can play well in the NAB, I'm sure he will be elevated quickly. All of the above will play at some stage, with Wellsy, Boomer, Higgins,Swallow and NDS playing the last 2 NAB games to gel as they really haven't had the chance at any time, due to injury.

Prelim team last year, could be rotated with player/s in first 2 rounds of NAB in bold:
The senior players with potential senior players next to them IMO are most at risk to lose their position

B

HB

C

HF

F

FOL

I/C

SUB

you make a good point, but it would be turning a blind eye to an obvious reality if you don't think the coaches are lining up potential replacements for Dal Santo.
by years end he won't be a starter.

Go in at full strength with a no prisoners attitude for one of Eddie's wild card spots. Then I'd be fine with getting smashed in round one...

McKenzie and Daw for the upside.

you make a good point, but it would be turning a blind eye to an obvious reality if you don't think the coaches are lining up potential replacements for Dal Santo.
by years end he won't be a starter.

NDS' durability is unquestioned, but he is 33 this year. He still has 2+ years with us, just with his cool head in finals and exceptional skills....he picks himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is very good, I can't wait for the NAB game against Hawthorn and then the season proper.

It's been a long preseason.

Swallow, Gibson and Brown with his hip are all underdone, I would rather not see any of them until they are 110%.

Play Dumont, Wells and Wood instead.

Want to see everyone who has never played a game push for selection.

Atley - Tarrant - Thompson
MacMillan - Durdin - Mullet
McKenzie - Dumont - Fordham
Wagner - McKay - Turner
Black - Daw - Wood
Pruess - Jacobs - Clarke
Hibberd - Gibson - Montford - Hansen - Wright - Nahas

I call this team the possibles.

Ramping up for round 2 with the probables:

MacMillan - Tarrant - Thompson
Atley - Petrie - Wells
Higgins - Dal Santo - Harvey
Garner - Brown - Turner
Ziebell - Waite - Cunnington
Goldstein - Swallow - Anderson
Jacobs - McDonald - Thomas - Firitto

I just hope we give most players a go ...

I was just reading that when a bunch of people on tv started singing "Come on give us a go". (It was a Spicks and Specks replay.)

Funny little coincidence. Must be a good omen for the premiership tho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back