NAB cup 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that Sinclair should be trailed in defence . Tall , athletic , can cover the ground well !
We have enough tall forward depth in lamb McInnes and tunners .

He moves like Gardiner did... As cumbersome as you'll see in an undersized ruckmen.

It will be interesting to see what we do come draft time this year. Do we keep going hard for mids or do we refresh our tall stocks? We probably need one more KPD and one more ruck on the list.

I can imagine our cull being quite severe again this year with the likes of:

McGinnity
Butler
Tunbridge
Karpany
Main
Colledge
Waters (retire)
McInnes
Hill

Lucas (rookie)

All on shaky ground. Highly unlikely we will delist all but each player needs to show improvement in order to retain a spot on the list in 2016.
i think mcinnes could be safe at least for another season.We lack KPF depth and I would be targeting one in the next draft
Im hoping at least 2 from that list really lift this year but cant see who.maybe Tunbridge and main

i think mcinnes could be safe at least for another season.We lack KPF depth and I would be targeting one in the next draft
Im hoping at least 2 from that list really lift this year but cant see who.maybe Tunbridge and main

I, too, believe McInnes will survive this year's cull. He either develops and becomes a player, or he survives, at least for this year, as big man insurance. Besides, there's enough delist-worthy players ahead of McInnes for that dishonor.

I'm hoping to see WC prioritize the selecting of a line-breaking wingman with their first pick this year, not only because they require genuine pace in the midfield, but with Rosa being from the class of 2004 it's time to draft in and prepare the way for the long term successor to his role on the wing. (And if WC want pace in that role it isn't going to come from Masten.) If WC are going to miss the finals then I'm all for them bottoming out in order to select from the top end of the draft. If WC wanted Pickett last year, it turned out they didn't have the currency. The same will occur most years, and it's why I don't want to see WC notching up late season wins this year if they're already going to miss the finals. But that's not the only reason for bottoming out. If Coniglio is open to heading back west, WC have the opportunity to trade him in with the use of their 2nd round selection and not their 1st if they finish low enough. That could be a big leg-up for the club. I fear that if WC finish mid-table and have pick 10 at their disposal, they'll see it as a fair deal and hand it over in a heartbeat. It may well be a fair deal, or close enough to, (some may disagree) but WC really need a trade win to get a leg-up on their rivals. Even trades don't assist WC surpassing their rivals. So, WC can make the handing over of their 1st round pick out of the question if they finish low enough, for not even WC's weak-willed trade negotiators would be spineless enough to hand over pick 5, for example, for Coniglio.

Kennedy is a year younger than Rosa, so drafting in his eventual replacement can be put off for one more year. Kennedy's position as a KPF demands top priority at a draft, IMO, so it should be the focus of the 2016 draft with WC's earliest selection. Kennedy turns 28 in late August, so his replacement will have 3-4 years development before taking over from Kennedy as his career winds down. The timing coincides well enough with the typical development time of a KPF.

Last edited:
We axed Carter after his first contract and so I figure if Karpany doesn't improve (but to be fair he probably will) he will face a similar fate. Didn't realise about Colledge.

Carter being axed was about more than mere form, because you can accept certain players taking longer than others to develop.

The problem with Carter was his role/ size, and therefor his scope not just for short term improvement as a long term best 22 player.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I, too, believe McInnes will survive this year's cull. He either develops and becomes a player, or he survives, at least for this year, as big man insurance. Besides, there's enough delist-worthy players ahead of McInnes for that dishonor.

I'm hoping to see WC prioritize the selecting of a line-breaking wingman with their first pick this year, not only because they require genuine pace in the midfield, but with Rosa being from the class of 2004 it's time to draft in and prepare the way for the long term successor to his role on the wing. (And if WC want pace in that role it isn't going to come from Masten.) If WC are going to miss the finals then I'm all for them bottoming out in order to select from the top end of the draft. If WC wanted Pickett last year, it turned out they didn't have the currency. The same will occur most years, and it's why I don't want to see WC notching up late season wins this year if they're already going to miss the finals. But that's not the only reason for bottoming out. If Coniglio is open to heading back west, WC have the opportunity to trade him in with the use of their 2nd round selection and not their 1st if they finish low enough. That could be a big leg-up for the club. I fear that if WC finish mid-table and have pick 10 at their disposal, they'll see it as a fair deal and hand it over in a heartbeat. It may well be a fair deal, or close enough to, (some may disagree) but WC really need a trade win to get a leg-up on their rivals. Even trades don't assist WC surpassing their rivals. So, WC can make the handing over of their 1st round pick out of the question if they finish low enough, for not even WC's weak-willed trade negotiators would be spineless enough to hand over pick 5, for example, for Coniglio.

Kennedy is a year younger than Rosa, so drafting in his eventual replacement can be put off for one more year. Kennedy's position as a KPF demands top priority at a draft, IMO, so it should be the focus of the 2016 draft with WC's earliest selection. Kennedy turns 28 in late August, so his replacement will have 3-4 development before taking over from Kennedy as his career winds down. The timing coincides well enough with the typical development time of a KPF.

Going into 2016 barring no injuries we'll be in a much stronger position regarding our KPP stocks with Lamb, Powell, McGovern and Barrass all with another year of experience.

This would be our KPP stocks excluding McInnes, and i don't see the likes of Tunbridge or Main being any more worthy of delisting to than McInnes who has had substantial time to show the required level of football at WAFL level.

Kennedy - Full size KPF.
Darling - Undersized KPF with utility.
Lamb - Undersized KPF with utility.

-/-/-/-

McGovern - Full size KPF/ KPD.

-/-/-/-

Mackenzie - Full size KPD
Brown - Full size KPD that can play small.
Barrass - Full size KPD

Schofield - third tall defender
Powell - third tall defender with utility to play up the ground.

-/-/-/-

Naitanui - full size ruck/ resting forward.
Lycett - full size ruck/ resting forward.
Sinclair - undersized ruck/ forward.

Passing my eye over the 2016 draft i don't think West Coast should or reasonably can over look mediums or smalls at that first selection. The draft has too many high end prospects that demand attention in their own right. It would be irresponsible to pass such players over.

We do need another full sized KPF on our list in the next few years, preferably a top end prospect. It gives us flexibility as to where we'll use McGovern.

At this stage McInnes hasn't shown anything to suggest he's likely to maintain a best 22 position in a competitive position and there is little reason to think that will change.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Kennedy is a year younger than Rosa, so drafting in his eventual replacement can be put off for one more year. Kennedy's position as a KPF demands top priority at a draft, IMO, so it should be the focus of the 2016 draft with WC's earliest selection. Kennedy turns 28 in late August, so his replacement will have 3-4 development before taking over from Kennedy as his career winds down. The timing coincides well enough with the typical development time of a KPF.
Most of the best quick running mids or wings hve come from mid to late first round. Danger, Hill, Rioli, I Smith, Jetta, S Motlop.

The early picks tend to be used on the KPPs or big bodied miss who you can build a midfield around

I see mcinnes now as a tweener. I still think he has the utility to play as a KPD and think it's his second best role and probably the role he is most likely to suit playing with us.

His other role which i think he has almost as much chance of being used by us is in the leigh brown / lynch mould where he plays forward and relieves the ruck. He is undersized for a ruck at 197cm but it's probably his best area of the ground, if he was 2 inches taller he would be being developed as a ruck and be one of the better prospects in the league for my mind. If he can play this way and average a goal a game at AFL level he is well worth having not only on our list but more than likely on other teams lists who don't have the ruck strength we have in nic-nat and lycett.

For a team that only has 1 good ruck and average secondary key forwards he could very well fill a role as an all over the ground utility, particularly in 1-2 years time once he starts hitting his peak.

Fmac will most certainly have to go back to the WAFL next week, unless there is an injury concern to NN or Lycett, considering the selectors don't really see him as a KPP option yet. Hopefully he can perform well in the WAFL as a KPP, but he might have to help out Johnson in the ruck for now, as there doesn't seem to be any other ruck options at EP.

I see mcinnes now as a tweener. I still think he has the utility to play as a KPD and think it's his second best role and probably the role he is most likely to suit playing with us.

His other role which i think he has almost as much chance of being used by us is in the leigh brown / lynch mould where he plays forward and relieves the ruck. He is undersized for a ruck at 197cm but it's probably his best area of the ground, if he was 2 inches taller he would be being developed as a ruck and be one of the better prospects in the league for my mind. If he can play this way and average a goal a game at AFL level he is well worth having not only on our list but more than likely on other teams lists who don't have the ruck strength we have in nic-nat and lycett.

For a team that only has 1 good ruck and average secondary key forwards he could very well fill a role as an all over the ground utility, particularly in 1-2 years time once he starts hitting his peak.

McInnes does need to add strings to his bow, and being played as a KPD can only enhance his skills and awareness on the footy field. He seems a pretty decent mover for his 197 cm, so not sure why they haven't followed the Shooter development curve in playing him forward, back and in the ruck - seems to have been a good template. I could very much see McInnes playing a similar role to David Hale.

Passing my eye over the 2016 draft i don't think West Coast should or reasonably can over look mediums or smalls at that first selection. The draft has too many high end prospects that demand attention in their own right. It would be irresponsible to pass such players over.

We do need another full sized KPF on our list in the next few years, preferably a top end prospect. It gives us flexibility as to where we'll use McGovern.

At this stage McInnes hasn't shown anything to suggest he's likely to maintain a best 22 position in a competitive position and there is little reason to think that will change.

We can say the club shouldn't overlook the quality mediums and smalls in most draft year's, for there's usually a fair amount of such quality in the top-end of the draft to choose from. At some stage the club should bite the bullet and select a top-end KPF; and the timing for such coincides well for 2016 and Kennedy's career drawing to its conclusion and the development time necessary to get a young KPF up to AFL standard. To say it would be irresponsible to pass over such quality mediums and small is to overlook quality talls available at the same time. It thus comes down to a matter of needs-based recruiting. (I'm not a believer in selecting best available regardless of position.) It's hard to say what those needs will be at the conclusion of 2016 given we don't know what type of players WC will draft and trade for in the interim and, the development of the younger players you've mentioned.

I agree that McInnes has underwhelmed thus far, but I wouldn't have his head on the chopping block this year, for talls take longer to develop and some additional patience can be shown to him without hindering list management. Talls aren't dime a dozen due to taking so long to develop and come good, so I'm no longer one to be hasty in deeming them worthy of the scrap heap without giving them every opportunity. If WC clear out 5 main list list cloggers this year, McInnes will automatically be near the top of the list for next years cull, unless he can dramatically turn his form around. It won't hurt to keep a slow developing tall one more year just to see if he'll come good, especially when there's better delist options that can make up the number. What may assist in bringing McInnes to make up the number among the culled this year is if one or more rookies become worthy of being upgraded onto the main list.

It also comes down to how WC view McInnes. Do they see him as a KPP or ruck depth? Ideally the club should have a fourth ruckman as depth, but as a KPP McInnes may well just be slow to develop. We'll be able to better gauge how his development progresses or not throughout the year. It's early to make these calls, and I'm sure to change my stance here or there as the season concludes as I'll have more information to draw upon, not just wrt player development and draft and trade prospects, but list management options, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the best quick running mids or wings hve come from mid to late first round. Danger, Hill, Rioli, I Smith, Jetta, S Motlop.

The early picks tend to be used on the KPPs or big bodied miss who you can build a midfield around

I'm aware many clubs choose to snap up talls early in order to get in before the best get taken by rivals, but if WC want a Harley Bennell, Stephen Hill or Jarrad Pickett, they're going to need the currency to get in very early.

We can say the club shouldn't overlook the quality mediums and smalls in most draft year's, for there's usually a fair amount of such quality in the top-end of the draft to choose from. At some stage the club should bite the bullet and select a top-end KPF; and the timing for such coincides well for 2016 and Kennedy's career drawing to its conclusion and the development time necessary to get a young KPF up to AFL standard. To say it would be irresponsible to pass over such quality mediums and small is to overlook quality talls available at the same time. It thus comes down to a matter of needs-based recruiting. (I'm not a believer in selecting best available regardless of position.) It's hard to say what those needs will be at the conclusion of 2016 given we don't know what type of players WC will draft and trade for in the interim and, the development of the younger players you've mentioned.

I agree that McInnes has underwhelmed thus far, but I wouldn't have his head on the chopping block this year, for talls take longer to develop and some additional patience can be shown to him without hindering list management. Talls aren't dime a dozen due to taking so long to develop and come good, so I'm no longer one to be hasty in deeming them worthy of the scrap heap without giving them every opportunity. If WC clear out 5 main list list cloggers this year, McInnes will automatically be near the top of the list for next years cull, unless he can dramatically turn his form around. It won't hurt to keep a slow developing tall one more year just to see if he'll come good, especially when there's better delist options that can make up the number. What may assist in bringing McInnes to make up the number among the culled this year is if one or more rookies become worthy of being upgraded onto the main list.

It also comes down to how WC view McInnes. Do they see him as a KPP or ruck depth? Ideally the club should have a fourth ruckman as depth, but as a KPP McInnes may well just be slow to develop. We'll be able to better gauge how his development progresses or not throughout the year. It's early to make these calls, and I'm sure to change my stance here or there as the season concludes as I'll have more information to draw upon, not just wrt player development and draft and trade prospects, but list management options, too.

Poach Tom Hogan! Must be part of our "Purchase MFC" plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back