Bumped NAB Cup - Three things you'd like to see (#123 p5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see Aish or Treloar being fit for NAB Cup with their chronic injuries.

Truly truly bizarre comment. Posters bang on about TG, but here's the real wolf in sheep's clothing...

Anyway stepping back to reality for a second.

1. Cloke moving further afield. Not to provide a more consistent lead up option, but in a role reminiscent of Richo in 07 (I think). He has the tank to spend more time 80-100 metres from goal and I can't think of a better bail out option for the defenders. His play reading ability isn't good enough to spend time on the ball ala Blicavs, but I'd hate to be a defender stuck on a HFF against him as he pushes up to the wing and then bursts back to the F50. In that sort of role he could put up a 180-200 mark season and still be good for two goals a game plus it'll ween us off our reliance on him I50, IMO.

2. A need for speed in the back half. Our ability to win the ball in that back 50 through 2015 was quite strong, but once we did everything else fell to s**t from there. Ramsay, Marsh, Williams and Sinclair form the nucleus of a quick defensive group throw in the marking options of Reid and Langdon, the negating of Brown plus Aish, Varcoe and Pendles to play behind the ball then things start coming together, IMO.

3. No tinkering with two ruckmen. I have no issue whatsoever with taking two into any match, but I personally don't want to see two pure ruckmen in the game at any one time.

Actually I'd like to see none of the senior players given any game time in the NAB cup. Basically just play our VFL side. We can't afford a repeat of the last two seasons when players dropped off in the second half of the season.

Actually I'd like to see none of the senior players given any game time in the NAB cup. Basically just play our VFL side. We can't afford a repeat of the last two seasons when players dropped off in the second half of the season.

So we'll start the season without any match fitness and underdone.

Time managed exposure of established senior players with all the players who haven't cemented themselves into the "best 22" given extended opportunities. Players like Sinclair, Ramsay, Goodyear, Cox, Witts, Broomhead, Aish, Howe, Marsh, Maynard, De Goey, Moore, Macaffer and Oxley. These guys need to stake a claim and the NAB cup gives them that opportunity.

No great expectations on any of our draftees, if they play that's a bonus.

I think that forward (in the VFL) is where Caff is going to need to come back, but he is very little chance to break through there. He is not a tall forward type, so would be competing against our other non-KF forward types who can mark, in particular Elliott, Howe, Fasolo. There is also the likes of Broom, Aish, Sidey, etc who will also get forward spots ahead of him. Tough times ahead for Caff.

Last year Pendles played two games out of the midfield - one forward and one back. And got BOG (or close to it) in both, so no doubt sending him down back would be a move that would work as well. I just think though that his ultimate influence on the game (by setting up our forwards and kicking them himself) would be greater in the forwardline, and he is also a great overhead mark for his size as well. But he may indeed go back, as Bucks has said that he wants Sidebottom to spend more time forward of the centre, and Swan will probably spend some time down there as well.

I don't see Caff breaking through anywhere. Up forward though I'd look for him to become more of a marking and goal kicking presence. He showed he could do that at times early career and showed it as a junior, and if he can balance that with his tackling and pressuring game, while I like you suspect it's beyond him. That's the only chance I see as Crisp and Greenwood both are clearly better as taggers/negating mids and down back he doesn't offer anything, anyone else doesn't. So it's going to be a hard year no matter where he is positioned.

Pendlebury can play anywhere. Midfield, forward or back. He is good and a difference maker anywhere.

In my previous comment though my point was I think we have the personnel not to need to use Pendlebury at half forward. Maybe situationally here and there. But ultimately the delivery of Broomhead/Fasolo/Phillips if they can all earn best 22 positions should be enough with all three really good playmakers who like Pendlebury have the same ability (both skill execution, vision and decision making ability) to hit good inside 50m targets. So my hope anyway is they'll be so good Pendlebury won't need to play forward, but we'll have to wait and see to know for sure. The NAB Cup/Challenge or whatever it's called this year for me is when they all for me need to be tried in this role/s as a group to see if they can do this.

Ben Reid intercepting marks in defensive 50, and drilling those low 45 metre passes, just like 2010/11.

Jamie Elliott to play with genuine intensity/ Realising that he has the ability to be a genuine star, instead of drifting in and out of games, fumbling, looking like he's always trying to do just that little bit too much. Do the basics Jamie, and you could be anything.

As always, in the NAB Cup, you just want to see a kid do something that makes you think he'll be a player. I'd love to see Crocker kick a few, and throw his hat into the ring for Rd 1.

Posters not panic and call for Bucks sacking if we happen to drop a game in this 'nothing' pre-season competition

Moore to play CHF (Cloke only to play in our last pre-season game)

Cox to be given 1st Ruck duties in one of the games

None of the player rushing we saw last year!!! Especially in the back half.... If I see one more goal kicked by the opposition alone in the goal square, I will tear, what's left of my head hair, out!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3. I want our defence to be picked on 3 things: a) One on one ability in the air and on the ground
b) Kicking skills (sorry Tooves, Frosty, Langers??) and c) Decision making. We have the cattle to be choosy down there now, lets not let ourselves down choosing people that can't do one or more of these things.
Agree with all that, but I'm especially keen to see highly skilled running players [Varcoe, Aish or someone else playing off half back].

1/ I'd like to see evidence that the players trust their teammates to win the contested ball in congestion and hold their structure and be a release into space. This was something spoken about by Buckley at the fan forum, I believe. Hopefully we see the work applied to address this. Especially as we have an incredibly deep midfield.

2/ One quirky thought that I hope may play out - Ramsay, Sinclair, Williams, Varcoe out of the back half at the same time, just to see what pure leg speed does for us in rebound transition. Not suggesting this is the way we go for the season, but just as an indicator of what could be.

3/ Jarrod Witts. Lot said. Lots to do.

Cox to pay some forward time with ruck relief. He showed good leading patterns at times in the VFL and is reasonably quick off the mark with good hands on the lead. If he can translate these skills to AFL level he can become a real handful on the lead. If he gets a break on an opponent he has 10cm height plus excellent vertical leap meaning he is very hard to stop in that situation

I hope to see Reid up forward with Frost, Brown and Marsh holding the bigger backmen duties at least trialled because I believe this combination is potentially our most dangerous

I want to see Aish, Fasolo, De Goey, Crisp and Greenwood step up and become better again in 2016. This group is a key to our improvement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back