BigFooty Official NAB League Boys Break Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
With 4 Rounds of State Leagues/ NAB League Boys action under our belt and a break from NAB League Boys, all the best and brightest draft watchers bigfooty have to offer are collaborating to bring a Mock Draft, in which draft watchers will be picking for their assigned club. As is standard with mid-season mock drafts we've altered the rules a bit to give the best chance at a quick draft with the purpose of forming an early consensus view/ getting names out there for the rest of the year.

Rules/ modifications;
  • There will be NO bid matching for this draft, meaning; F/S, NGA and Northern Academy Selections are part of the open pool (if there's any comments along the lines of "Why was this not matched" you'll likely be thread banned)
  • Every team will make at least 2 picks and can pass at any point
  • The Draft will last 4 rounds
  • The order is based off of the Round 5 AFL Ladder, which Lore keeps up to date here

Selectors;
Adelaide - Thunderstruck
Brisbane - briztoon
Carlton - Pie 4 Life
Collingwood - Pie 4 Life
Essendon - eDPS
Fremantle - Ysaye
Geelong - Bastyy
Gold Coast - Chris25
GWS - PMBangers
Hawthorn - Davo-27
Melbourne - Chris25
North Melbourne - giantroo
Port Adelaide - Macca19
Richmond - Smythe
St Kilda - Knightmare
Sydney - andleanback
West Coast - Monocle
Western Bulldogs - Wizard17

Last edited:
Draft Order/ selections
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Round 1
1. North Melbourne - Jason Horne
2. Hawthorn - Nick Daicos (Collingwood F/S)
3. GWS Giants - Campbell Chesser
4. Gold Coast Suns - Jacob Van Rooyen
5. Essendon - Tyler Sonsie
6. St Kilda - Matthew Roberts
7. GWS Giants - Josh Sinn
8. Carlton - Matthew Johnson
9. Brisbane Lions - Josh Rachele
10. Fremantle - Jack Williams
11. Richmond - Arlo Draper
12. Adelaide - Ben Hobbs
13. West Coast - Joshua Browne
14. Richmond - Josh Gibcus
15. Port Adelaide - Josh Goater
16. Sydney - Ned Long
17. Brisbane Lions - Sam Banks
18. Western Bulldogs - Morgan Ferres
19. Gold Coast Suns - Lewis Rayson

Round 2
20. North Melbourne - Finn Callaghan
21. Hawthorn - Neil Erasmus
22. Hawthorn - Toby Conway
23. Gold Coast Suns - Nasiah Wanganeen
24. Geelong - Rhett Bazzo
25. Richmond - Joel Fitzgerald
26. Geelong - Josh Fahey (GWS Academy)
27. Carlton - Mac Andrew (Melbourne NGA)
28. Melbourne - Isaiah Dudley (Adelaide NGA)
29. Fremantle - Alex Lukic
30. Geelong - Max Chipper
31. Adelaide - Blayne O'Loughlin (Adelaide NGA)
32. West Coast - Corey Warner
33. Richmond - Miller Bergman
34. West Coast - Luke Taylor
35. Sydney - Blake Howes
36. Adelaide - Matthew Dnistriansky
37. Collingwood - Cooper Murley

Round 3
38. North Melbourne - Youseph Dib (Collingwood NGA)
39. Melbourne - Hugh Jackson
40. Collingwood - Jase Burgoyne (Port Adelaide F/S)
41. Richmond - Charlie Molan
42. Essendon - Darcy Wilmot
43. St Kilda - Connor MacDonald
44. GWS Giants - Braden Andrews
45. Gold Coast Suns - Jacob Edwards
46. Brisbane Lions - Max Heath
47. Collingwood - Lachlan Rankin
48. Geelong - Josh Ward
49. Collingwood - Cooper Hamilton
50. Brisbane Lions - Tyreece Leiu
51. Richmond - Jacob Young
52. Essendon - Jai Serong
53. West Coast - Kade Dittmar
54. Gold Coast Suns - James Willis
55. Melbourne - Lukas Cooke

Round 4
56. Hawthorn - Dylan Thomas
57. Port Adelaide - Harvey Harrison
58. Brisbane Lions - PASS
59. Gold Coast Suns - Cooper Beecken
60. Gold Coast Suns - Cody Gilchrist
61. St Kilda - Ned Moyle
62. Port Adelaide - Oscar Adams
63. Carlton - Jack Peris (St Kilda NGA)
64. North Melbourne - Liam Podhajski
65. Adelaide - Saxon Evans
66. GWS Giants - Sam Darcy (Western Bulldogs F/S)
67. Adelaide - Harry Tunkin
68. West Coast - Kalin Lane
69. Hawthorn - Hugh Hamilton
70. Port Adelaide - Brad Jeffries
71. Sydney - PASS
72. Brisbane Lions - PASS
73. Western Bulldogs - Cody Raak

Last edited:
Pick 1 - Jason Horne
Pick 1 - Jason Horne - Midfielder - 184cm/78cm - South Adelaide/South Australia

1618553020055.png
images.jpeg

The ultimate proto-type midfielder, Horne is a quick, powerful, tough goal-kicking midfielder who can play on the inside and outside while possessing a good leap and has strong overhead marking. Touted as the #1 pick for a while now, this year is no different, continuing on his good form in the SANFL seniors.

Davo-27

Last edited:

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Pick 2 - Nick Daicos

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Pick 2 Hawthorn - Nick Daicos - Midfielder - Oakleigh - 183cm 72kg

i think the top pick will boil down to Horne or Daicos come draft night, Daicos is a game winner from the midfield, gathers a heap of poss and is a beautiful kick at goal, works well under pressure, a real gem of a midfielder.

PMBangers you're up

Last edited:
Pick 3 - Campbell Chesser
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Pick 3 - Campbell Chesser (Sandringham Dragons/ Vic Country) - Midfielder - 186 cm 83 kg

chesser.jpg

A kid that has shown his class as a hybrid mid and defender over the years, given the GIANTS need for a mix of speed and composure through a midfield role, Chesser best fits the role for those around this mark, able to slot onto a wing ideally and then work his way into a rover role to start giving us something different through stoppages and combine well with fellow Sandy boi Tim Taranto as a receiver from the clearance winner (and Hopper/ Green are around to, the chemistry just isn't as high energy). His ball use moving forward would ideally give our strong marking forwards like Himmelberg, Riccardi, Hogan, Greene, etc. the best chance to mark inside 50 with his delivery, and fix our issues with scoring shot placement (a lot of marks taken in weird spots)

What drew me to Chesser over Sonsie was his work in transition and two way running in particular, whilst Sonsie is more impactful around stoppages, Chesser is more willing to run defensively, win the ball back and then getting some spark behind it going forward

Chris25 up with Suns

Last edited:
Pick 4 - Jacob Van Rooyen
Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
I was planning to take solely SA kids, and I easily could here with a few good ones on offer this year. But I'll save that for my other picks.

#4 Gold Coast - Jacob van Rooyen

Someone must have tipped Twomey off about my pick because he's gone and written a puff piece about him today. I thought Gold Coast should have taken a tall last year, as much as I liked Elijah Hollands. But it might work out for the best as I like van Rooyen more than Zac Reid and Nik Cox. He's genuine KPF size at 195cm and has the running ability to play away from goals and allow Ben King to stay deep. I've always said the one thing you can't teach is marking - you either have strong hands or you don't, coaching and gym sessions isn't going to help that. And van Rooyen can mark the ball.

eDPS

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm shocked :p
Not saying it's going to happen but by some chance and miracle but if North was lucky enough to get a priority pick before the draft and not after round 1 you be tempted to take Daicos as a priority to shove it up, Collingwood. then take Horne at 1.
But we all know the AFL will bend over to the other clubs -Including the ones that have had them in the past and cheated the system to make sure we don't receive one.

Pick 5 - Tyler Sonsie

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Pick 5 - Essendon - Tyler Sonsie - Eastern Ranges - Midfielder/forward 181cm 76kg

Essendon add to their midfield depth with the damaging Tyler Sonsie, unlike many other midfielders Essendon have Sonsie is a goal kicker and could easily play round 1 next year in a forward pocket causing headaches. A bit too one way at the moment he will need to improve his defensive side but not many players in the pool have his level of impact with ball in hand as a player who can kick and handball of either foot just as well as recent draftee Nik Cox.

Knightmare for saints

Pick 5 - Essendon - Tyler Sonsie - Eastern Ranges - Midfielder/forward 181cm 76kg

Essendon add to their midfield depth with the damaging Tyler Sonsie, unlike many other midfielders Essendon have Sonsie is a goal kicker and could easily play round 1 next year in a forward pocket causing headaches. A bit too one way at the moment he will need to improve his defensive side but not many players in the pool have his level of impact with ball in hand as a player who can kick and handball of either foot just as well as recent draftee Nik Cox.

Knightmare for saints

Bargain

Pick 7 - Josh Sinn
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Pick 7 - Josh Sinn (Sandringham Dragons/ Vic Metro) - General Defender/ Midfielder - 186 cm 72 kg

sinn n chess.jpg

Taking the Brisbane Lions approach of bringing in two teammates that are also close friends, I'm thrilled to be adding Josh Sinn to my draft alongside Campbell Chesser. Whilst there's questions over Josh's capacity to move into a midfield role, contested game and even his disposal (weirdly) I'm appreciating what I'm bringing in, a ******* good footballer.

With electrifying pace, a deep understanding of the game, agility and skill Sinn is a high end prospect for a reason, providing dashing run off the half back, able to impact aerially and at ground level extremely well, with his commanding of teammates highlighting his leadership. Form wise there's no doubt his skills have needed improving, and they have been gradually throughout the year. something something form is temporary class is permanent! I honestly don't have a concern about whether he moves into the midfield or not, he's going to be a valuable piece to whichever team is lucky enough to end up with him, and has shown his versatility to go forward and impact on the scoreboard, so worst case you've got a plug n play type that can play from Round 1

Welcome aboard Josh!

Pie 4 Life up next, ironically picking for Carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Pick 9 - Josh Rachele

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Pick 9. Brisbane Lions.
Josh Rachele.
Murray Bushrangers. 180cm. 78kg.

Josh Rachele won the 2019 U16 Division 1 MVP as well as the Vic Metro MVP of the carnival.

Rachele ticks a lot of boxes for Brisbnane. Duel position player either through the midfield or up forward, possess genuine speed, and a very good user of the ball by foot.

Rachele can play multiple positions, something that Lions coach Chris Fagan is asking more of from his midfield players. He played through the midfield at the U16 championships, able to win his own ball at stoppages and use his explosive power to burst from congestion and break away from the contest at speed or pick out targets by foot, finding players inside the centre of the ground, or move the ball forward by foot with precision passes to team mates in the forward 50.

When not playing through the midfield, Rachele can go forward and play as a marking forward, thanks to his strength, athleticism and leap, and his ability to out position his opponent.

Last edited:
Pick 10 - Jack Williams

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Pick 10 - Jack Williams (Utility) ~195ish cm, East Fremantle
Last year everyone talked about his promise, and this year the hyper train about his potential has continued to roll in. I feel I am (based upon output) still taking him a bit early, but this is a very early mock draft so in the immortal word of a generic teenager of the 21st century: "whatever" (or rather I am calling him out on where I think we might be talking about him at the end of the year). There are some aspects though that I think in the mind of recruiters they are going to jump at. Things I like at this stage are:
  • His versatility as a tall; he has been playing forward, ruck and defence, and consequently in the colts he has been getting lots of marks, shots on goal, goals (and unfortunately also lots of points), hitouts and reasonable numbers of disposals and tackles as well. That is going to be appealing to a lot of clubs, and a club like Freo would love a raw prospect that could be any one of those things
  • Probably further to this I think his marking is something that a club can build on
  • He has the fabled "Basketball" background which mean his movement through traffic is above average.
  • I think or understand he is at the bottom age bracket (?) which in the mind of some means potential+. He seems to have rapidly progressed since last year which means his trajectory is good.
Things I am uncomfortable at this stage: basing it a lot on potential rather than a big body of results; I wonder if I am not getting too cute ignoring Bazzo who has a lot more results behind him? What is his eventual position or is he a "Jack of All Trades and Master of None" (Sorry had to pull that pun for the first time! :p). Also what kind of attitude and behaviours does he bring with him - is he diligent in preparation? Does he have the right mindset for this? These feel unknown at this stage.

Bastyy here comes Geelong....

Pick 11 - Arlo Draper
Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
GBay-WSox-Bulls-Blackhawks-LSU-UNC
PICK 11 - Richmond - Arlo Draper - 185cm 71kg - SA/South Adelaide

Arlo is a big mid/fwd, with growth to come on he will fill out to be a perfect hybrid mid/fwd size. He has the one on one smarts and a high game iq, can find the goals and good overhead. fwd leading patterns are great and will most of the time lead at the ball giving himself space from his opponent with good body work. In the middle he uses his smarts to read the ruckmen and wins clearences as well as blocking and sheparding for other teammates. Once that has occured his ability to spread quickly to provide options or clear a path and drag opponents with him is excellent. He is a team first player and always looking for the best option and has great skills by hand and foot, and uses his non preferred when required instead of being pidgeon holed into only using his dominant side which is a good practice to have. Arlo tackles well, wins clearences, marks, has good footy iq, good 1v1, hits the scoreboard and works up and down the ground with a high work rate.

up next is Adelaide with Thunderstruck

Last edited:
Pick 13 - Joshua Browne
Selection # 13: Joshua Browne. 185 cm 77 kg Midfielder . East Fremantle.

download-26.jpg

Browne first caught my attention last season when I went to watch Jack Carroll play for The Sharks in the Colts.
I was surprised that the under ager Browne was upstaging Carroll.

Browne gets a lot of it and is a free running player, there is no doubt that of the eligible WA midfielders, Matthew Johnson is number 1 but the gap between him and Browne is closing.

One to watch closely as the season unfolds.

Last edited:

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Selection # 13: Joshua Browne.

Midfielder . East Fremantle.

At work so write up tonight.

Smythe is on the clock.

he is an impressive kid, good TER, has a good personality and seems an extrovert, also competitive, on top of that plays footy really well, seems a lock for first round, another quality kid from East Freo.

Pick 14 - Josh Gibcus
Mar 26, 2017
Inner Sanctum
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
GBay-WSox-Bulls-Blackhawks-LSU-UNC
Pick 14 - Richmond - Joshua Gibcus - 195cm - 84 kg - GWV/Vic C

Josh's start to the year.. excellent. He is moving well, his hands are terrific and is winning most of his 1v1's. Intercepting at will and using the ball very well. Josh sets up play with his rebounding, plays the arc very well and is being very vocal. All excellent traits to be displaying at this stage. He has a big kick on him and is a great size with plenty of growth to come. Showing his is quite adept at controlling the back 6 and being the main man in defence eluding to the fact his confidence is high, and his games so far this year show his growth in those areas and he was too hard to ignore here at this pick.

up next Port with Macca19

Last edited:
Pick 15 - Josh Goater
Pick 15 - Port Adelaide - Josh Goater - 190cm Midfielder - Calder / VM

Tall midfielder with breakaway speed, skill and goalkicking ability. Port need to replenish its midfield stocks and the Goat fits the bill perfectly.

Sydney up - andleanback

Pick 16 - Ned Long
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Pick 16 - Sydney - Ned Long - Northern Knights
Midfielder/ forward - 192cm/82kg

Sydney should be looking to re generate their inside midfielder stocks for the future with kennedy and parker closer to the end than the start, theyve added midfield pieces through previous drafts but none possess the skillset and size of Long.

The big body inside mid has been on fire in the first weeks of the nab league season quickly making up for lost time last year. Long has demonstrated that he's got more to his game than just grunt work in the midfield, at times playing as a pseudo key forward and providing a great option around the ground for his knights teammates. He has great goal nous and doesnt need much to turn a scoring opportunity into a goal. He has a great set of hands whether he's quickly releasing the ball from stoppage, or clunking the ball aerially around the ground. He's a footballer who has great footy IQ and shown he knows how to use his big frame to his advantage to knock opponents off balance at ground level or in marking contests, which is a rare trait for a young player. When Long fills out he will be a weapon for sydney and be a match up nightmare for opposition coaches.

briztoon

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back