BigFooty Official NAB League Boys Break Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 59 - Cooper Beecken Pick 60 - Cody Gilchrist
#59 Gold Coast - Cooper Beecken (medium/tall defender from Glenelg)

#60 Gold Coast - Cody Gilchrist (key forward from Central Districts)

Pick 62 - Oscar Adams
Pick 62 - Oscar Adams - Glenelg - 194/80 Key Defender/Tall Utility

Despite picking up Allir Allir, Port still need to strengthen its key defensive stocks with both McKenzie and Jonas getting on in age and Clurey just not being all that good. So in comes Oscar Adams who had a really impressive under 16s year playing as a key defender. Whilst he's spent a lot of this year playing in the ruck for Glenelg, he will need to go back to being a key position player if he is to make it at AFL level. He's a decent intercept option, is good one on one and has strong skills.

Carlton is up Pie 4 Life

Pick 64 - Liam Podhajski
#64 - North Melbourne | Liam Podhajski | Ruck | 202cm/99kg | Calder Cannons

A 202cm mobile ruckman who can play as an extra midfielder. To date, his numbers have been good especially in his last NAB League game finishing with 21 disposals, six tackles, four inside 50s, three rebound 50s, 40 hitouts and a goal.

Thunderstruck

Last edited:
#64 - North Melbourne | Liam Podhajski | Ruck | 202cm/99cm | Calder Cannons

A 202cm mobile ruckman who can play as an extra midfielder. To date, his numbers have been good especially in his last NAB League game finishing with 21 disposals, six tackles, four inside 50s, three rebound 50s, 40 hitouts and a goal.

Thunderstruck
Very stout ruckman that you have picked, he has a bit of width about him, fair lump of a lad. ;)

So is this about the current perceived depth of this draft?

How many U19 kids were taken?

I know the two Sandi rucks were taken, and Moyle and Podhajski. Anyone else?

Two other kids I thought about, but was unsure of, were Judson Clarke and Jake Soligo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two other kids I thought about, but was unsure of, were Judson Clarke and Jake Soligo.
There's a few that aren't taken yet, and might not be that I'd be more than happy if I got in the 30's, so I think it's about individual ranking currently than anything. There's a good 4-5 that are still available that would likely be in my top 40

as for the depth of the draft, it seems like a normal draft, not overly strong or weak from my PoV (after 25 it drops off a bit, but im sure a few will rise up the ranks by the end of the year to make it a top 30-odd like most seasons.

Dylan Thomas is also 19

what i like about the Phantom Drafts is that players we are unsure of are either confirmed by other draft watchers to be good or still seen as unsure by the group of draft watchers and i appreciate the collective PoV through this exercise.

Pick 68 - Kalin Lane
may as well finish the draft gents, who is up? is it Thunderstruck

Nope I will take my last pick.

Not going to wait on Thunderstuck

With Pick # 68 West Coast Select: Kalin Lane. Ruckman 204 cm 93 kg . Claremont.

download-38.jpg download-37.jpg

Lane is a 19year old who has come on and progressed nicely each week, since the start of last year.
His development in the latter part of last season was marked and whilst he wasn't drafted I am sure he was seriously looked at.
He started the season playing in the reserves and last week made his league debut - 27 hit outs 11 disposals and a goal.

I have kept tabs on him for a while now and he is slowly growing into his body, he has big broad shoulders that will give him the frame work to add some serious size in the next four or five years, he has very long arms and for a guy his size is good at ground level.
Kids his size take time to mature , body wise , but he shows to much ability to pass on him.

As a young developing ruckman he suits our list need.

Obviously between now and the draft his progress in the seniors will be closely monitored by the respective recruiting teams.

**************************************************************************************************************************

By way of general information for those of you who don't get to see a lot of WAFL football there are two players that I would like to bring to your attention, that you may not know much about that I think are worth keeping tracks on as the season progresses.

Jye Amiss East Perth: 195cm 83 kg a KPF who is a very accurate kick at goal and if his team mates can get him the ball on 8-10 occasions then he is good for 2-3 goals. Truth is I almost took him with the pick that I took Luke Taylor with, what gave Taylor the nod was the fact that he can play both ends.

download-31.jpg

Jack Avery Perth: a Mid / Def another 19 year old and I would not be at all surprised if he get taken in the mid season draft.
He is with out doubt the most " on fire " payer in the WAFL Colts at the moment.
He has only played two games because his clearance from Claremont to Perth was held up in the first week of the season.
In his two Colts game this season he has racked up: 26 and then 39 possessions. He is a contested beast - 190cm and 83 kg.
For those of you wondering why he left Claremont its because he wants to play League football to draw the attention of the recruiters and Claremont has a very well established side that would have been difficult to break into. So the move to Perth will greatly increase his chances to play League.

download-27.jpg

Last edited:
Pick 66 - Sam Darcy
Pick 66 - Sam Darcy (Oakleigh Chargers/ Vic Metro) - Tall Defender/ Ruck - 197 cm 73 kg

sam darcy.jpg

Definitely not the highest player left on my board but at some stage this draft I had to take a developing KPD prospect like I think the Giants should, and long term, I think Sam can develop into something that'll compete well with the new age 200cm+ athletic beast forwards like the Kings. Only slightly built and not exposed much at NAB League, or any representative level, Sam boasts some good speed, aerial prowess and skills for a player of his height, performing well in the Ruck and in defence at such a light weight and slim build is something I like in a player, it signifies to me that he's got game sense rather than just size.

Again, a very long term project, but a necessary one positionally, and one that's shown some promise early on

Thunderstruck up again

Last edited:
Pick 69 - Hugh Hamilton
Pick 69 Hawthorn - Hugh Hamilton - Bendigo - 182cm 85kg

i was tossing up between him and Chance Doultree from Gippsland who i also rate, but i went for the forward for the Hawks, brother of Cooper Hamilton who has been good up forward for Bendigo and thats it for the draft unless we do a rookie draft in which case i take Chance Doultree, Shay Linke was another one i was considering.

Macca19

Last edited:
Nope I will take my last pick.

Not going to wait on Thunderstuck

With Pick # 68 West Coast Select: Kalin Lane. Ruckman 204 cm 93 kg . Claremont.

View attachment 1112105 View attachment 1112106

Lane is a 19year old who has come on and progressed nicely each week, since the start of last year.
His development in the latter part of last season was marked and whilst he wasn't drafted I am sure he was seriously looked at.
He started the season playing in the reserves and last week made his league debut - 27 hit outs 11 disposals and a goal.

I have kept tabs on him for a while now and he is slowly growing into his body, he has big broad shoulders that will give him the frame work to add some serious size in the next four or five years, he has very long arms and for a guy his size is good at ground level.
Kids his size take time to mature , body wise , but he shows to much ability to pass on him.

As a young developing ruckman he suits our list need.

Obviously between now and the draft his progress in the seniors will be closely monitored by the respective recruiting teams.

**************************************************************************************************************************

By way of general information for those of you who don't get to see a lot of WAFL football there are two players that I would like to bring to your attention, that you may not know much about that I think are worth keeping tracks on as the season progresses.

Jye Amiss East Perth: 195cm 83 kg a KPF who is a very accurate kick at goal and if his team mates can get him the ball on 8-10 occasions then he is good for 2-3 goals. Truth is I almost took him with the pick that I took Luke Taylor with, what gave Taylor the nod was the fact that he can play both ends.

View attachment 1112115

Jack Avery Perth: a Mid / Def another 19 year old and I would not be at all surprised if he get taken in the mid season draft.
He is with out doubt the most " on fire " payer in the WAFL Colts at the moment.
He has only played two games because his clearance from Claremont to Perth was held up in the first week of the season.
In his two Colts game this season he has racked up: 26 and then 39 possessions. He is a contested beast - 190cm and 83 kg.
For those of you wondering why he left Claremont its because he wants to play League football to draw the attention of the recruiters and Claremont has a very well established side that would have been difficult to break into. So the move to Perth will greatly increase his chances to play League.

View attachment 1112116
very well aware of both, especially Jack. ;)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back