Nacon Acquires Australian Developers Big Ant In $54.8 Million Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
“Financing aside, the deal is probably the most significant and sizeable acquisition of an Australian studio in recent memory. Interestingly, Big Ant is aiming for $9.4 million in operating profit for 2021-22.”

Gee wouldnt it be good to have a game developer that makes decent money like that to develop an AFL game.

The best thing about this deal is that it doesn't hinder, only helps with whatever direction Big Ant is choosing to go.

This direction I do know, but it's not up to me to announce anything.

Last edited:
The best thing about this deal is that it doesn't hinder, only helps with whatever direction Big Ant is choosing to go.

This direction I do know, but it's not up to me to announce anything.
Blink once for AFL or twice for dirt track.

“Financing aside, the deal is probably the most significant and sizeable acquisition of an Australian studio in recent memory. Interestingly, Big Ant is aiming for $9.4 million in operating profit for 2021-22.”

Gee wouldnt it be good to have a game developer that makes decent money like that to develop an AFL game.

Even if it's just something to start with! Such as AFL in the style of NBA Jam sessions, like what they did with Big Bash. Or AFL classic teams!!
Evolution doesn't have classic teams/players.

The problem is that Evolution is a game that exists over two versions with updates, it'd be awesome for BA to get AFL rights, but then even they might be thinking, "well it's starting all over again", you might want a guarantee of at least 3 versions to build upon etc...etc..

If they can do an AFL game then awesome.

Last edited:
Based on who purchased Big Ant, you are more likely to see continued focus on building upon the foundations laid by Big Ant's Tennis and Cricket series', and adding Rugby Union to the mix (esp. given the publishers connections in Europe and love of Rugby). If Big Ant also gets the chance to expand to working on AFL again great, same goes for NRL.

Hopefully AFL and NRL can be convinced at some point that they need to be working with the best sports game development house in Australia. And lastly... so what if publisher is not based in Australia - boohoo - who cares. Aussie sports gamers just want the best outcome. Sorry HES (not sorry). AFL and NRL take note - this Aussie studio was purchased by an overseas suitor for very good reason.

Just wish Big Ant all the best of success - and hopefully still fairly decent independence in their creative design making. :thumbsu:

Apologies to all above, just came across this thread now - thanks for the very kind words :)

D1Matman it's been an amazing few months, great growth in the Studio, complete independence with regard to the titles we develop, and an expanding portfolio.

It is our aim to make Melbourne the sports game development capital of the world!

I think I've read that Big Ant is working on a rugby game, but they don't seem to be involved in this recently announced one. Maybe Nacon is going to have two rugby game series under them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After playing Evolution 2 for the first time, dear God does that need to happen.

Hey it's not that bad. For the first time WW appear to have made solid progress on the gameplay, I would be really interested to know how much of it comes from simply porting the game to UE4 vs genuinely wanting a big improvement.

All that aside, Ross liking 'make an AFL game!' would be all over the game media if it were a global sport. I imagine it's a big tick for interest, and a huge question mark on proving to Nacon how much money they would make. A big problem could be - last I was privvy to the details, which is a few years back now - the AFL actually charged for the licence which severely limited profitability. This is incredibly pig headed and if anything they should be pouring money in for obvious reasons. There is no reason why a top shelf AFL game wouldn't be more fun to play than Fifa or Madden when you throw in tackles, bursting through packs and speccies.

*If* it is true the AFL charges and will continue to do so, I could see that same pig headedness increasing the price simply because Nacon are at the table. For a title that probably only sells 50,000 units give or take. It's sheer madness.

Last edited:
Hey it's not that bad. For the first time WW appear to have made solid progress on the gameplay, I would be really interested to know how much of it comes from simply porting the game to UE4 vs genuinely wanting a big improvement.

All that aside, Ross liking 'make an AFL game!' would be all over the game media if it were a global sport. I imagine it's a big tick for interest, and a huge question mark on proving to Nacon how much money they would make. A big problem could be - last I was privvy to the details, which is a few years back now - the AFL actually charged for the licence which severely limited profitability. This is incredibly pig headed and if anything they should be pouring money in for obvious reasons. There is no reason why a top shelf AFL game wouldn't be more fun to play than Fifa or Madden when you throw in tackles, bursting through packs and speccies.

*If* it is true the AFL charges and will continue to do so, I could see that same pig headedness increasing the price simply because Nacon are at the table. For a title that probably only sells 50,000 units give or take. It's sheer madness.

I agree with you but unfortunately the AFL won't be shelling out for anything or giving any licencing away for free with the amount of money they are losing in these covid times.:(

Nope, the gameplay is the same as all their other poor efforts, just with a graphical upgrade and more irrelevant settings that didn't change the flow of the game or the physics, etc. AFL Live 1 was the closest to getting anywhere near PES quality. Live 1 had a more natural flow and movement to it, whereas Evolution 2 is far too stiff and jagged. I'm not sure why this "moving game engines" means: "better gameplay" when they're 2 different things. And if you mean, "they're gonna get better because of this, just wait." We've been through 12 years of bad footy games from them which isn't a good omen. A bit of a different topic, too, about The AFL's bad business practices not using their brand as a marketing exercise instead of making a quick buck with their awful games.

Nope, the gameplay is the same as all their other poor efforts, just with a graphical upgrade and more irrelevant settings that didn't change the flow of the game or the physics, etc. AFL Live 1 was the closest to getting anywhere near PES quality. Live 1 had a more natural flow and movement to it, whereas Evolution 2 is far too stiff and jagged. I'm not sure why this "moving game engines" means: "better gameplay" when they're 2 different things. And if you mean, "they're gonna get better because of this, just wait." We've been through 12 years of bad footy games from them which isn't a good omen. A bit of a different topic, too, about The AFL's bad business practices not using their brand as a marketing exercise instead of making a quick buck with their awful games.

Not sure I understand your last point and obviously each to their own whether WW are improving.

Going back to their earlier efforts there were two huge issues. i) the WW games failed to leave behind their Wii heritage, with Live 2 in particular being a travesty and ii) the AI was broken. Every centre square bounce the CHB would run forward meaning whoever won the tap had an easy pass to the CHF who could often goal. It was joyless and unplayable.

To say that is unchanged is a bit of a stretch. Not only is that problem fixed, but Evo 2 is the first game where a good spine and a fast midfielder may not cut it against a good team. Even Live 1 had this issue, as did every other AFL game ever made. And let's not forget Live 1's bumping problem which BA ran out of time to fix. Also with Evo 2 (and Evo 1) you have sliders, so any gameplay element you don't enjoy like HTB and too many balls ups you can pretty much remove. The earlier games didn't have this, another huge improvement.

This is probably sounding like a WW love fest but it's not. If Live 1 got a HD upgrade and new team lists then Evo 2 would be in trouble, of this I have no doubt. And the game is ten years old.

I'm genuinely excited that the Nacon acquisition might pave the way for unfinished business, remembering that Ross had a plan and was never allowed to complete it because the AFL baulked at the idea of doing the hard yards for a proper game. What we need more than anything else is a passionate gamer in a senior management position at the AFL. I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a gamer at my own work these days, surely it's just a matter of time.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand your last point and obviously each to their own whether WW are improving.

Going back to their earlier efforts there were two huge issues. i) the WW games failed to leave behind their Wii heritage, with Live 2 in particular being a travesty and ii) the AI was broken. Every centre square bounce the CHB would run forward meaning whoever won the tap had an easy pass to the CHF who could often goal. It was joyless and unplayable.

To say that is unchanged is a bit of a stretch. Not only is that problem fixed, but Evo 2 is the first game where a good spine and a fast midfielder may not cut it against a good team. Even Live 1 had this issue, as did every other AFL game ever made. And let's not forget Live 1's bumping problem which BA ran out of time to fix. Also with Evo 2 (and Evo 1) you have sliders, so any gameplay element you don't enjoy like HTB and too many balls ups you can pretty much remove. The earlier games didn't have this, another huge improvement.

This is probably sounding like a WW love fest but it's not. If Live 1 got a HD upgrade and new team lists then Evo 2 would be in trouble, of this I have no doubt. And the game is ten years old.

I'm genuinely excited that the Nacon acquisition might pave the way for unfinished business, remembering that Ross had a plan and was never allowed to complete it all because the AFL wanted to make money and not spend it. What we need more than anything else is a passionate gamer in a senior management position at the AFL. I can't swing a dead cat without hitting gamer at my own work these days, surely it's just a matter of time.

It felt exactly the same movement and flow wise as The Wii version from 2011, how is that "improving"? It's definitely validating to say they haven't improved, especially when Ross observed Wicked Witch were using their old animations from 2011 for Evo 2. Maybe graphical and settings it improves, but that's all the superficial unimportant stuff, the sliders are irrelevant without actual decent gameplay. You're also nitpicking a lot of the smaller flaws with Live 1's gameplay (yes, it's very rough around the edges, since it was Big Ant's FIRST attempt), but it flowed and felt natural compared to Evo 2. I'd prefer a new game and a complete overhaul. In fact, a indie developer is currently making their own one, which already looks far better gameplay wise than Wicked Witch's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back