Discussion NAFL Reserves 2017/18 Franchise Owner & Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We totally should have a rivalry round. No need to design seperate guernseys for it, but I think it'd be a pretty cool idea seeing Gold Coast v Gold Coast, Hoogs v Illawarra, Darwin v Victoria River and Dandenong v Gippsland all in the same round
Ok a rivalry derby event has been in the works for a while... official announcement is not far away

upload_2017-9-5_17-58-18.png
The Battle about to launch in Eastern Victoria.

The Greater Gippsland Bears and the Dandenong Brown Bears launched the “Clash of the Ranges” at the Melbourne Cricket Ground today.

Although the Eastern Victorian Derby will be played at Dandenong’s Shepley Oval and Greater Gippsland’s Morwell Recreation Reserve, the launch was held at the home of Australian Football to highlight the fact that this fixture will be big in Victorian and NAFL Football for the years to come.

The two teams today held a press conference to officially reveal the cross-regions name and logo. ‘Clash of the Ranges’ will be used throughout the league and by the both clubs to promote the matches between the two teams.

The name for the Eastern Victorian Derby was the brainchild of both Presidents of the competing clubs and recognises the ‘Ranges’ of Eastern Victoria.

Bears President Grandsun said the launch of the ‘Clash of the Ranges’ was an important step forward for NAFL football in Eastern Victoria.

“Just as the AFL has the Showdown in Adelaide, the Derby in Perth, Battle of the Bridge in Sydney and the Q-Clash in Queensland, now we have a fitting name for our own game, Clash of the Ranges.”

“There is a real refresh to NAFL football in Eastern Victoria with the inclusion of Dandenong and the rebrand of the Greater Gippsland Bears from the Gippsland Stars so this blockbuster fixture couldn’t come at the better time for football in the region.” Martin said.

“We want this to be a big event for the people of Victoria and there is no bigger event in sport than a local derby. We think this will become one of the greatest rivalries in Australian sport.”

The Battle about to launch in Eastern Victoria.

The Greater Gippsland Bears and the Dandenong Brown Bears launched the “Clash of the Ranges” at the Melbourne Cricket Ground today.

Although the Eastern Victorian Derby will be played at Dandenong’s Shepley Oval and Greater Gippsland’s Morwell Recreation Reserve, the launch was held at the home of Australian Football to highlight the fact that this fixture will be big in Victorian and NAFL Football for the years to come.

The two teams today held a press conference to officially reveal the cross-regions name and logo. ‘Clash of the Ranges’ will be used throughout the league and by the both clubs to promote the matches between the two teams.

The name for the Eastern Victorian Derby was the brainchild of both Presidents of the competing clubs and recognises the ‘Ranges’ of Eastern Victoria.

Bears President Grandsun said the launch of the ‘Clash of the Ranges’ was an important step forward for NAFL football in Eastern Victoria.

“Just as the AFL has the Showdown in Adelaide, the Derby in Perth, Battle of the Bridge in Sydney and the Q-Clash in Queensland, now we have a fitting name for our own game, Clash of the Ranges.”

“There is a real refresh to NAFL football in Eastern Victoria with the inclusion of Dandenong and the rebrand of the Greater Gippsland Bears from the Gippsland Stars so this blockbuster fixture couldn’t come at the better time for football in the region.” Martin said.

“We want this to be a big event for the people of Victoria and there is no bigger event in sport than a local derby. We think this will become one of the greatest rivalries in Australian sport.”

Greater Gippsland Bears and the Dandenong Brown Bears

bear-fight.jpg

Also, don't put the Q-Crap in the same sentence as the showdown ever again.

yesss! the QCLASH is the greatest derby in Aussie football

...so you're telling me that two teams that haven't made the 8 in this decade have the greatest derby in Australian Football that has only begun this decade?

You're an absolute laugh cobber - I dunno whether it's the Derby or the Showdown that's better, both are miles beyond the Q-Clash and Battle of the Bridges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno whether it's the Derby or the Showdown that's better
The Derby never makes the headlines in Vic, Showdown does and therefore it is better. #anypublicityisgoodpublicity

By that rule actually the Derby is worse than the Q-Clash!
I know you're joking, but my line of thinking was all relative. The fraction that makes the difference between each team is what I'm counting. Eg: Derby 6/46 = 13.04%, Showdown 1/43 = 2.33%, Q-Clash 3/13 = 23.09%, Sydney Derby = 38.46%.
Also, the quality of the teams involved Eg: Both SA teams in finals, Both NSW teams in finals, One WA team in finals, No QLD teams in finals.

Showdown is probably better than the Derby simply out if the vitriolic disdain between Port and Adelaide.

Tad less intense with the Derby as Freo will always have the "baby brother" tag, at least til they win a cup.

I feel like there is more hatred in the Showdown compared to the Western Derby, but that could just be because my team is involved. I think a lot of it comes down to having both teams 'up' at the same time. Early Derbies weren't great while Freo were rubbish (Eagles won the first 9 or 10 didn't they?), but likewise the Showdown felt like a yawnfest around 2010-11.

I feel like there is more hatred in the Showdown compared to the Western Derby, but that could just be because my team is involved. I think a lot of it comes down to having both teams 'up' at the same time. Early Derbies weren't great while Freo were rubbish (Eagles won the first 9 or 10 didn't they?), but likewise the Showdown felt like a yawnfest around 2010-11.
The Derby always had spice, even when we dominated Freo, until the big brawl. Since then it hasn't been the same, I feel.

Showdown is probably better than the Derby simply out if the vitriolic disdain between Port and Adelaide.

Tad less intense with the Derby as Freo will always have the "baby brother" tag, at least til they win a cup.
Also 'state side' vs 'established SANFL side' is probably a bit more authentic a contest than 'state side' vs 'rabble trying to redefine Fremantle football heritage'.

It's the whole history of Port's attempted entry in the 80's until the move to AO in my opinion that makes the Showdown more unique compared to simply location based rivalries.

Interesting, I felt it was the other way around. But maybe thats just a view from afar.
For a while Freo were definitely harder at it because they wouldn't let us bully them around anymore but I feel that was a moment where both teams realised that its two games in a season as opposed to being the season. Maybe I'm out of the loop not living in WA anymore but I was there up to 2011 and I do feel that Derbies meant more before the brawl than after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back