Discussion NAFL Reserves 2018-19 - Franchise Bids and Discussion

Discussion in 'Footy Jumpers and Graphic Design' started by Bacon Warrior, Jul 8, 2018.

1. SilvaComet

SilvaComet West Brisbane Head Coach

Western Bulldogs
    NAFL Premiership
    NAFL Championship
    NAFL League 1

Don't mind the idea of geographic conferences; maybe South (VIC, TAS, SA, NZ) and North (WA, NT, QLD, NSW, ACT)

Shoud wait until at least 20+ bids get submitted before even considering a split though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. rorydelight

rorydelight Rookie

Adelaide
    State: Tasmania
    nickname: Tasmanian Falcons
    colours: navy, orange, gold, white

3. tigerz18

tigerz18 Club Legend

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Fulham FC, Real Madrid
    NAFL
    NAFL Ressies
    NAFL Ammos

The Half Back likes this.
  4. SilvaComet

Western Bulldogs
  5. kdavva74

kdavva74 Certified SFA Turncoat

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Brighton, Las Vegas Bears
    NAFL Pub League?

6. Storm20

Storm20 Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Everton, GGFC
    NAFL
    NAFL Magoos
    NAFL Magees

7. just_kick_it

just_kick_it Premium Gold

Port Adelaide
    Maybe a bit obscure but how about naming the 2 Reserves divisions after colours. The Reserves can be NAFL Reserves Red and the possible Reserves 2 can be NAFL Reserves Yellow for example

caloschwaby likes this.
  8. caloschwaby

caloschwaby The One and Only

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Boston Celtics, Melbourne Renegades
    Perhaps we could have grading matches?
    The problem I see coming about is if one of the new bids that will be put in 3rd division would actually be more suited at playing against the higher tier of the 2nd division.
    In that case this team would have to wait 2 seasons in order to reach the 1st's (that's if the design is good enough).

No idea where to go on from this idea though, so thoughts?

9. craegus

craegus Badge free since '08

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal
    Prior events has had teams moved to more appropriate divisions after designs have been submitted, even after the season has started. So the is precedence that would not require grading matches.

El_Scorcho and caloschwaby like this.
  10. El_Scorcho

El_Scorcho Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
    I definitely agree with FT that everyone should have the opportunity to get promoted to the 1st division after 1 year if they're good enough.

I'd suggest splitting conferences geographically in some way, probably southeast and northwest.

tigerz18, caloschwaby and Andonis1997 like this.
  11. cannavo

cannavo Man Don't Dance

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Yes
    Going way back, I finished off the first ACFFL season and had the top half of Div 2 move up and bottom half of Div 1 move down. Made sense since it was fewer teams and no-one kicked up a fuss about it.
    https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/acffl-finals-thread.992503/#post-27946820
    Thoughts on 8 going up and 8 going down?

akkaps likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. El_Scorcho

El_Scorcho Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
    Between the 1st and 2nd division? Way too many. The 1st division needs to be really hard to get into and really hard to stay in.

13. craegus

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal
    That is true, but I think that the risk with conferences is that people are going to specifically target where they place teams to try and get an easier run, or that it is going to happen by sheer chance that one conference is going to be way over balanced with strong designs that makes the other conference seem weak.

This will then mean that designers who could be fighting it out for a finals spot and a chance at promotion are potentially going to miss out to weaker teams just purely by having two conferences (if keeping a 8 team finals series only 4 teams from each are going to make it through).

The best example of this in the real world at the moment is the Super Rugby. Every conference gets a team in the finals, but it is at the cost of teams that actually have better records which happened last year when the Brumbies qualified with 34 points (by winning the Australian conference) and the Blues who had 37 points missed the finals.

As I have said, and I am not knocking anyone, but I have been very lucky with the Can-Am that all conferences have been fairly even each season, but it is purely down to luck.

At least with a 3rd division, designers are going to settle into a division that most likely makes sense, and for those who are new and could do with some time to improve the moving from the 3rds to reserves gives them time to perfect their work. It may mean having to wait an extra season to have a chance at the top flight, but at the same time if this league is getting this big, then it may seem the most logical move. I know there was doubt over a 2nds back when it came about as people who deserved to be in the top flight would miss out, but it has worked.

caloschwaby, akkaps and Barrybran like this.
  14. craegus

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal
    Agree, at the most the bottom 2 are relegated, and that would be last being automatically, and 2nd last through a playoff. Lower levels if included could be a larger number but never more than 4 each (with 3 probably being the right number {1 or 2 automatically, and the other/s through playoff/s}).

El_Scorcho likes this.
  15. Freight Train

Freight Train Shuey for PM.

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Bournemouth, Glory, Raptors
    If it were split into conferences, then skill balance would definitely be factored in - even if divisions have to be randomly drawn based on seeding or something.

16. akkaps

akkaps Hall of Famer

Carlton
    I did think about conferencing it. As it would be easier to move up and down. But I felt that we should this completion Australian. And by that I mean, in local AFL leagues, we can sometimes see up to 5 divisions. If this was an American sport or based in America, I would have definitely gone with conferences over divisions.

caloschwaby likes this.
  17. Dylan8

Dylan8 Hero of Kvatch

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool FC
    You might just have to do some qualifiers like we've done for FIRA and cut the folk who don't make it. Having three NAFL competitions running simultaneously for 20 rounds is going to get old and voting/interest will drop more than it usually does.

18. Grandsun

Grandsun Club Legend

Gold Coast
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Stars, Melbourne Vixens,
    Im not convinced as NAFL is a popular league and will always keep people interested. I think the way to go is NAFL Reserves have all the returning teams (including those who are returning from a few years ago), then the NAFL Colts would be for new teams.

19. craegus

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal
    The lower leagues don't have to have as many rounds, if needed a single round robin could be implemented for the lower divisions. Then only the top flight would play the longer season.

That would be the basis I would go for (depending on numbers) for the first season, unless a design is not fitting of the league it is in (like FT when he entered the first time and was promoted instantly to the top flight).

After that the top 2 divisions would be locked for those who have qualified for it, then the 3rd division would be for new entrants. Basically the reserves division would shift to being the 3rd division with a new 2nd division replacing it. Then if the numbers drop to a level that cannot sustain 3 divisions, the 3rd division would cease to exist and the 2nds would revert to the old format of being the reserves and new entrant level.

Barrybran likes this.
  20. SilvaComet

Western Bulldogs
    State: PNG
    Nickname: Devils
    Colours: Red, Black, Gold

21. craegus

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal
    As per the OP.

* Teams only allowed in Australia and New Zealand.

Bacon Warrior likes this.
  22. Bacon Warrior

Bacon Warrior Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Swan Districts, Phoenix Coyotes
  23. PhenomenalV1

PhenomenalV1 Dead Basketball Team Enthusiast

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Victoria Titans/Giants, Dragons FFC
    Eh, not really interested in doing competitions anymore. Personally, I think I feel more at home working on portfolios.

Bacon Warrior and just_kick_it like this.
  24. SilvaComet

Western Bulldogs
    You would spoil he fun

25. just_kick_it

just_kick_it Premium Gold

Port Adelaide
    Im loving your NBL portfolio that youre doing at the moment!