Nail your colours to the mast. Acceptable win/loss 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I personally think that who ever takes us on as coach is in for a hiding next year. The club has set the standard. 3 seasons worth of turning over the bulk of the list and filling it with kids, 9 wins is sack worthy for the coach. So the inference is that anyone else is better.

I would be happy to be wrong, I want the club to be doing well, but - and at this point, without knowing the drafting/trading, presuming that Langdon goes and BHill may also go, at best we get 6 wins next year. i.e. backwards.

Your crystal balls and no edits to perfect your future predictions with any hindsight...

Now that doesn't address what I think is an acceptable amount of wins. Obviously, better. 10 wins, it takes time to get everyone on board with a new game plan and standards etc. So finals not necessary, but obviously a bonus.

New Coach means they get a free shot/another chance to re-build. 6 wins.

I think the club knows it's in for some extended dark times and need a fresh coach to take some pressure off.

We need some durable talent desperately.

A new coach of a club in transition and turmoil gets a blank cheque in this regard. Just needs to show that they can do the job, and sometimes that entails going backwards.

Depends on our trade and draft
assuming Langdon and BHill walk and we just hit the draft, probably around 8-9 wins. If BHill stays however 11-12 wins, and probably a similar result if we lost BHill but gained Kelly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we don't finish in the top 4 I'll be very surprised

In the top 4 draft picks that is.

Honestly though, don't we need to wait for the list, the fixture, the coach and all the usual influencing factors to reveal themselves before even attempting to forecast?

If Lyon was coaching in 2020, I expected 6th on the ladder or better or Lyon was gone ... regardless of injuries. Not even I would have been making excuses for his contract to be renewed.

In 2011, Freo had 9 wins. Lyon took the helm in 2012 and Freo ended finishing 7th with 14 wins. 6wins/5losses in the first half of the season as the players learnt the new game plan and 8wins/3 losses in the 2nd half of the season (plus 2 finals 1win & 1loss).

So, in 2020, if we have a reasonable run with injuries, I would expect something similar to Lyon's 2012.
If we have another bad run with injuries or luck, then at least still being in contention for a finals spot come round 23.

10 plus is the base.

12 is doable.

Youngsters (2 - 4 year players) start to blossom. Brayshaw & Cerra into midfield rotation. Logue taken under the wing of Joel & Alex, plays as a third tall back. Dixon forces his way into the best 18.

McCarthy is read the riot act, grow up, behave and realise your talent.

I don't think getting more than 9 wins is the pass mark for a new coach. More important that our game plan has gone forward whilst not surrendering our ability to play good defensive structures.
Barring injury and taking into consideration newcomers we have a good enough list on paper to compete for a finals spot however we still have lots of players with no skills so who knows :p

Quite a few obvious factors to sort yet. Ie coach, players in/out, CEO & the ******* S&C dept so we can keep players on the park.

The other factor is the RTB factor, he has been in the place a long time & a new coach & assistants have to change the way the players think to adapt to a new game style.

It’s hard to change that after years of hearing the same message & it will take time for the players to trust any change after relying on being so defensive for so long. Not only trust it, but then perform it without going back into old habits.

In particular not setting up so deep defensively & trusting a new zone with less players in it to allow for options on an earlier turnover. That is what is meant by attacking football.

If the players buy in, then give the new coach 8-10 in his first year, with a steep improvement the following year. In saying that, if we can keep a spine on the park, then a brief look at finals is not out of the question.

Who ******* knows.

Hill could prove to be irreplaceable and the new coach could be a deadset potato

Or we could have a great injury run, have a couple of rookies really break out and find some innovative game plan.

I will be pleasantly surprised if we are any better than rock bottom after this torrid year... sacking ( in my view) has blown our chances.
Hoping I am wrong, 50 percent wins is all I dare dream, just for the stability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back