Nail your colours to the mast. Acceptable win/loss 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
If Lyon was coaching in 2020, I expected 6th on the ladder or better or Lyon was gone ... regardless of injuries. Not even I would have been making excuses for his contract to be renewed.

In 2011, Freo had 9 wins. Lyon took the helm in 2012 and Freo ended finishing 7th with 14 wins. 6wins/5losses in the first half of the season as the players learnt the new game plan and 8wins/3 losses in the 2nd half of the season (plus 2 finals 1win & 1loss).

So, in 2020, if we have a reasonable run with injuries, I would expect something similar to Lyon's 2012.
If we have another bad run with injuries or luck, then at least still being in contention for a finals spot come round 23.
As I said, 9 wins this season could be a good omen.

we got 9 wins in 2011 and 9 wins in 2002. We backed up both seasons playing finals the next year.

Both 2012 and 2003 got us 14 wins and 8 defeats.

I can see freo get 14 wins with a good coach and a good injury run

It is way too early to be asking this. Nobody can actually give a proper answer until we have a new coach and the trade/FA/draft are all over.

At this stage, I'd say about what we did this year with more consistent performances and the young guys continuing to improve would be fine for me.

Jul 20, 2018
Expecting us to not land any big names in the off season (Kelly / Gus) and we will go to the draft with some good picks

With that, and a new coach with a refined game plan

7 wins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommo

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2003
Freo is where my heart is
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FREO
My worst case scenario is Landon and BHill leave, the other bottom 6 teams improve more than us, and we struggle to adapt to the coaching changes, or coach is a spud.
Finish in bottom three.

I have low bar, so if all goes well, I’d like to see us do the reverse of this year and beat teams we should and lose respectably to better teams. That would be acceptable.

So happy to tread water with 9 wins (with respectable losses)

Would not be surprised if we go backwards and finish bottom 3.
I can potentially see next year being another annus horribilis.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Honestly though, don't we need to wait for the list, the fixture, the coach and all the usual influencing factors to reveal themselves before even attempting to forecast?

If injury is irrelevent as a reason for not getting into the finals - which is the hard line from the board resulting in the head coaches sacking 1 week before the seasons end... Why should any of these things matter? Or are you already "accepting mediocrity" and making excuses for the new coach ;)

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
If injury is irrelevent as a reason for not getting into the finals - which is the hard line from the board resulting in the head coaches sacking 1 week before the seasons end... Why should any of these things matter? Or are you already "accepting mediocrity" and making excuses for the new coach ;)
Show me in my posting history where have I ever used the term accepting mediocrity. You're projecting, my friend.
If you really want to know people's predictions the thread is about three months premature. But of course you don't really want to know them at all.

I'd rather Freo's list than Port's

The reason I say this is the spine of Freo is good. Also having bona fide A graders in Fyfe and Walters.

4th-9th would be my call on Freo 2020; and
10th-15th for Port 2020

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jusjoshin

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2008
Gosnells
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, East Side Hawks
Depends on who we get in trade for Hill et al. If we get a drop in winger, probably 12+ wins, otherwise 8+

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's no point using past seasons as a baseline, as we underperformed heavily due to poor coaching and the medical team.

2019 should have seen 12-13 wins and finals, and I am setting that as the minimum for a pass mark. But it will require a complete overhaul of S&C.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

It is going to be interesting seeing all the 'no excuses - sack hiim' brgade make excuses if we aren't doing well next year.

The president has said not playing finals is unacceptable - so finals at a minimum. If it was Ross I would expect more so finals as the pass mark is giving some leniency.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Show me in my posting history where have I ever used the term accepting mediocrity. You're projecting, my friend.
If you really want to know people's predictions the thread is about three months premature. But of course you don't really want to know them at all.

Sorry Square Peg, I was taking the piss out of Dale Alcock, I put in that wink thingo to try and show I wasn't being serious about your post (obvously poorly done, these emoticon thingos are a bit new fangled for me). Alcock has stated what is acceptable, no finals is not acceptable according to the board, and injuries are no excuse, so why should anything else be an excuse? It's been well bandied around in these parts that "excuses" (apparently no such things as legitimate reasons) are just accepting mediocrity.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sorry Square Peg, I was taking the piss out of Dale Alcock, I put in that wink thingo to try and show I wasn't being serious about your post (obvously poorly done, these emoticon thingos are a bit new fangled for me). Alcock has stated what is acceptable, no finals is not acceptable according to the board, and injuries are no excuse, so why should anything else be an excuse? It's been well bandied around in these parts that "excuses" (apparently no such things as legitimate reasons) are just accepting mediocrity.

All good
The thing is there's a possibility the club could admit they have failed the last one and be about to embark on another rebuild. This offseason will be fascinating. If we trade out Hill, Tucker and Langdon, trade in no one of note and go to the draft with a bunch of first and second round picks and a new rookie coach talking about a five year plan of course we aren't playing finals next year.
I'm not an apologist for the board stuff ups around Lyon's dismissal but I also think the dynamic has changed now. Maybe it will be that they try and bring in Kelly and put some hard-to-refuse deal in front of a young winger like gold coast did with Bowes and we are topping up to have a crack at finals again. But I reckon we could as likely try to be restarting again

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
It is going to be interesting seeing all the 'no excuses - sack hiim' brgade make excuses if we aren't doing well next year.

The president has said not playing finals is unacceptable - so finals at a minimum. If it was Ross I would expect more so finals as the pass mark is giving some leniency.

What gets me is the Sack Lyon Brigade have been out in force in 2019 blaming Lyon constantly after our losses.
Lyon is now gone, so why aren't they on this thread talking up our chances in 2020?
I seriously thought that Freo were a lock for finals in 2020 with Lyon coaching and with some luck, 6th or better. That was simply based on the improvements in 2019 from 2018 and considering our shocking run of injuries and progress of our rebuild.

I'm now seeing what I was afraid of ... that is, far too many just wanted Lyon gone without actually having a good hard think of how much better/worse Fremantle were going to be without him in 2020.
It generally feels like they are now afraid that they got what they wanted.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Finals plain and simple. We have the list, get the new coach in, train the boys under the new game plan and then come into 2020 firing. Undefeated would be the most ideal situation but 11 wins and finals would do

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
Hard to really say at this point. We have no coach, don't know how many players are leaving, and whether the strategy going forward will be to trade in experience or go hard at the draft.

We're currently losing Ed "what's DE" Langdon, and Bhilly, but hopefully Shilly and Giro can fill their running shoes.

But, the coach is the big IF for me. If it's a JLo, I'll give him some slack to learn the ropes as he goes about learning the top job. If it's Woosha or Scott, then they need to hit the ground running and little slack if any will be given to the board for poor results. If Suma's given the head job, well I won't be watching then anyway and good luck to you all for the future, I've enjoyed the back and forth, however agro it sometimes gets, it's been a blast.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
premiership crazy i know but i like our spine and we rarely lost contested ball this year.
Stephen hill at his best is better than brad.
If we draft stephens, better disposal than langdon so im not worried about our wings

Our contest ball should become better due to improvement out of cerra, brayshaw and tucker which should result in walters getting more forward.
Sturt being the third bannana behing hogan and tabs results in him flourishing.
Add henry to the forward mix and suddenly you have a very potent forward half.

I like our backline when fit.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
When did the Board say that Lyon was sacked because we didn't make Finals this year?

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
When did the Board say that Lyon was sacked because we didn't make Finals this year?
They inferred it when they acted only once finals were not a mathematical possibility. It was their reasoning for the bizarre timing of the announcement with a week left to go in the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back