Sep 14, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens

NAKIA A LION - 11.21AM
Tom Morris reports...

Nakia Cockatoo is a Brisbane Lions player — and fellow outgoing Cat Lachie Fogarty is set to join Carlton.

Geelong accepted Brisbane’s offer of a future third rounder, which they had received from Geelong in a pick swap earlier in the trade period.

Cockatoo has signed a two-year deal at the Lions.

The former No.10 pick had become even more steadfast in recent days that he wanted to head north.

Despite Geelong telling him a deal may not get done, the injury-prone but talented player was determined to be traded.

The Cats had offered a one-year deal on a base salary and were happy to keep him.

As reported by foxfooty.com.au earlier in the week, a stumbling block between the Lions and Geelong had been Brisbane’s lack of selections between Picks 19 and 53.

But Melbourne’s swap of picks with the Lions – which included a future third rounder – allowed Brisbane list boss Dom Ambrogio to offer it up to his counterpart Stephen Wells.

And late on Wednesday morning, with less than 36 hours remaining, it was accepted and processed.

Cockatoo played 34 games for Geelong but has not been seen at the senior level since 2018.

He is managed by the same agent – Tim Lawrence – who orchestrated Lincoln McCarthy’s move to the Lions and Lachie Neale’s trade from Fremantle.

Meanwhile, The Age reports Fogarty and Pick 38 have been to Carlton, with Picks 30 and 51 to Geelong.

ZoBlitz

The Ghost Who Walks
Sep 20, 2004
Brisbane/Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Welcome to The Den, Nakia Cockatoo

The Brisbane Lions welcome highly rated former Cat Nakia Cockatoo to the Club after striking a trade with Geelong.

Cockatoo joins the club on a two -year-deal and in return the Cats receive a Future R3 selection attached to Melbourne.

The 24-year-old has played 39 games for Geelong since being taken out of the Northern Territory with pick 10 in the 2014 AFL draft.

List Manager Dom Ambrogio said the Lions’ interest in Cockatoo dated back to his draft year and the Club was thrilled he had decided to continue his career in Brisbane.

‘We welcome Nakia and Grace (& baby Lenah) to our Club as they move their family to Queensland,’’ he said.

“Nakia is a talented footballer who brings power, speed and a competitive edge that we love.

“His versatility is something that Chris will also utilise in the team with his ability to play several roles for us.’’

Cockatoo said he was looking forward to moving to the Sunshine State with his young family and was excited about the next chapter of his career.

“I’m over the moon, there’s been a bit of a wait so when I got the call that it was going ahead it was a great feeling,’’ he said.

“I’ve spoken to Fages a bit and I’m really excited by where the Club is heading and the opportunity for me up there.

“I’d like to thank Geelong, I’m so grateful for the opportunity they gave me, coming from a little town called Humpty Doo, to live out my childhood dream of playing AFL, I can’t thank them enough.

“But now I’m a Brisbane Lion and I can’t wait to get stuck into training with the boys.’’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Guernsey Numbers Revealed
Nakia Cockatoo – 12

If Nakia Cockatoo can produce half the excitement a previous number 12 generated, Lions fans are in for some fun times.

The former Cat will don the No 12 that Jason Akermanis wowed Lions fans in for 210 games during his heyday at the Club.

Akermanis won a Brownlow and three premierships while wearing the number. He shares the games record in the number with another club great, Fitzroy’s Michael Conlon.

The most recent custodian was former Merrett-Murray medallist Stefan Martin who wore the number with distinction in 133 games for the Club.

Remove this Banner Ad