Retired Nakia Cockatoo (2020-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cockatoo: "I Thought About Giving it Away"

With his eight disposals and one goal, Cockatoo was a rare highlight for the Lions in their 12-point loss to Hawthorn, getting through his first game at senior level since early 2018.

Since last playing for Geelong, the powerhouse 24-year-old has had a horror run with injuries, battling to overcome persistent hamstring problems this season.

He described Sunday's game as an "amazing experience", playing for the first time since the recent birth of his daughter.

Cockatoo said the past few years had been a mental battle.

"It (finishing) crossed my mind at points, when I'd get another niggle, but I think mentally I've been pretty resilient," he said.

"Footy is still a dream of mine, to keep playing, and hopefully now I can take the next step and get some consistency with my footy and my body as well."

Although not getting a ton of disposals, Cockatoo's ball use was striking in a flat performance by many of his teammates.

He said despite his long absence from senior level, the game came back to him quickly.

There was no doubt about the highlight though.

"Kicking my first goal, that felt so surreal," he said.

"Callum Ah Chee, we've become pretty close, him giving me my first goal for the Brisbane Lions (with a handball) was pretty special.

"I didn't have a lot of the footy on the weekend, but just running patterns and getting to the ball and hitting my kicks, I guess all the preparation in the VFL and working with physios and trainers added up."

Gee, it was awsome seeing Cocky playing. So happy for him and the club getting him up. His tackles look great and some of his kicks through the corridor is what we've been missing. Glad he didn't give it away, could be a jet for us.

2021 Season Review: Hipwood & Cockatoo

It was a tail of two stories for Eric Hipwood and Nakia Cockatoo, as one returned after 1211 days away from footy, while the other was ruled out for the year with an ACL injury.

It was better news for Geelong recruit Nakia Cockatoo, who returned to AFL football after 1211 days on the sideline through injury.

Having played his last game in Round 3 of 2018, Cockatoo made his Lions debut in Round 20 v Hawthorn, finishing with 8 disposals and kicking a memorable snap goal, much to the delight of his teammates.

In an emotional guernsey presentation, Nakia was grateful for the patience of Brisbane’s medical staff and admitting to the team there were times when he considered “giving the game away.”

Played as a pressure forward, ‘Cocky’ as he’s affectionately known around the club impressed with his powerful tackling and second efforts around the ball.

A player with plenty of upside and X Factor about him, Cockatoo will be looking to bring plenty of spark into his 2022 campaign.

Cockatoo Goes Bang

The Lions venture west to Perth was full of unknowns.

With Lachie Neale still injured and Jack Payne a late out, Fremantle at Optus Stadium became a daunting task.

But it was Nakia Cockatoo’s impact around the ground that gave Lions faithful insight into the 24-year-olds power.

After the ball hit the deck on the Fremantle 50m arc, Cockatoo fumbled under pressure before recovering to provide a second, third and fourth tackling effort that eventuated in a Fremantle turnover.

While Nakia would walk away with just 8 disposals, it was his 6 tackles and 2 goals that did the talking.

Some of the footage of Cocky looking lean in the off-season vids has me salivating at the thought of him being fit.

Luckless Lion shines alongside former No.1 pick in match sim

NAKIA Cockatoo continued an impressive run through his second pre-season at Brisbane with a strong showing in Friday night's match simulation at Hickey Park.

After forcing his way into the Lions' team for the final seven games of last season, Cockatoo has carried the continuity into 2022 with an uninterrupted run of training.

It's the first time the 25-year-old has enjoyed an injury-free pre-season since his rookie campaign with Geelong in 2015.

And the results are steadily coming.

Spending most of his time at half-forward, Cockatoo was also thrust onball for a handful of centre bounces as coach Chris Fagan mixed his midfield combinations.

Cockatoo became more involved the longer the three, 15-minute sections wore on, linking well between the midfield and forward line, using his power and speed to find space.

Injury-plagued Lion in best shape ever, finally ready to launch

SOME advice from his uncle and a simple pre-season formula has Nakia Cockatoo physically and mentally in the best shape of his career.

Cockatoo has been a pre-season standout for Brisbane, noticeably leaner, more explosive, and able to get to more contests than when he first headed north from Geelong 15 months ago.

It's been a puzzle the 25-year-old has constantly worked on solving, and the pieces – both on and off-field - are only now starting to fall into place.

After some hamstring niggles early in his time at the Lions, Cockatoo played the final seven games of the 2021 season, including two finals.

That gave him a springboard into the off-season and a chance to gain some genuine fitness and continuity with his body – something he hasn't had since being drafted in 2014.

Cockatoo told AFL.com.au playing at the end of last year gave him "a massive confidence boost" that he took into the past few months.

"I didn't really change too much in the off-season," he said.

"It was just getting in those (running) session we do at Coorparoo a couple of times a week.

"Just running with those boys, just doing the program, has helped a lot.

"Getting back for pre-season, I wasn't easing into things, I hit it full of run.

"Being able to train, do the gym sessions, preparation, it's been really consistent. That's the main thing for me, that consistency, which I haven't had the last three or four years."

Cockatoo has genuine x-factor for Brisbane, training primarily at half-forward, but also thrown into the centre square by coach Chris Fagan a few times to create havoc with his powerful frame.

Being physically healthy has been just a part of Cockatoo's development.

He is settled with partner Grace and one-year-old daughter Lenah, living 30 minutes east of the Gabba at Brisbane's bayside.

"We're in a great place. Grace has been amazing and we love going on walks, going to parks with Lenah," he said.

Moving to Brisbane also bought him closer to his uncle, former Essendon and Port Adelaide forward Che Cockatoo-Collins, who lives on Stradbroke Island – a 30-minute water taxi off the east coast - with his wife Delvene and their family.

"I've got a lot of Cockatoo family in Queensland," Nakia said.

"My uncle Che always talks about balance in anything you do.

"Last pre-season I was going there most weekends and hanging out, going to the beaches.

"Having that connection around me has been amazing."

The Brisbane Lions have locked away the comeback kids on the eve of the season with Nakia Cockatoo and Noah Answerth committing to new deals.

Cockatoo has extended his deal to the end of 2023 while Answerth is locked away for another three years.

Cockatoo has become the latest success story for the Lions Strength and Conditioning team.

He arrived at the Lions at the end of 2020 having last played at senior level in Round 3, 2018.

He battled hamstring issues in his first year at the Lions but eventually built a block of fitness in the VFL and forced his way into the senior side for the final seven games of the year, including the Club’s two finals.

He returned for his second pre-season in superb shape and has been a standout on the track and in the AAMI Series matches.

“Nakia has so much power and explosiveness, he can really impact the contest,’’ Daly said.

“We’ve already seen flashes of what he is capable of and believe that with all the hard work he has put in to get his body right, he can become a very important player for us.’’

Any Lions fans who have attended pre-season training will attest there has been a beaming smile plastered to Cockatoo’s face right throughout every session, no matter how extreme the conditions were.

“I’m just really excited,’’ he said.

“It felt like last year I was able to get some consistency back in my training and it really felt good to be able to build my form in the VFL and it gave me a lot of confidence to be able to work my way into the senior side.

“I feel really positive about what lies ahead, and I am really looking forward to the next two years and improving on my game.

“It is a great place to be, we’ve got a good squad of players here, everyone chips in and I feel like there is a great work ethic at this Club.’’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL Lions Down Dogs in the Wet

Nakia Cockatoo put together one of his strongest games of the season so far, slotting two crucial goals and gathering 23 possessions, three marks, and two behinds in the win for the Lions.

Around the state leagues: No.2 pick puts hand up, Dee's day out, Lion responds

Darcy Fort (21 disposals, a goal, 35 hitouts and 10 clearances) and Nakia Cockatoo (23 disposals and two goals) were also good contributors.

Cockatoo Calls Time On Career

230345_Nakia_Retirement_Article_Header.jpg

Brisbane Lions forward Nakia Cockatoo has announced his retirement after 49 games across nine injury interrupted seasons with two clubs.

The 26-year-old spent the first six seasons of his AFL career with Geelong after being drafted as a top 10 pick from the Northern Territory in 2014, before arriving at The Gabba at the end of end of 2021.

Brisbane delisted the explosive forward at the end of 2022 before reselecting him in the rookie draft.

Cockatoo informed his teammates of his decision at the Club on Wednesday afternoon ahead of the Lions Club Champion Dinner.

“Nakia is one of the nicest people you could meet in football and has been a much-loved member of our Club that will be missed,” Lions general manager of football Danny Daly said.

“Being a top 10 pick highlights the potential and talent Nakia had as a footballer, but unfortunately for him injuries and his body provided challenges throughout his career.

“However, to play 49 games of AFL football, including some of those being finals, is something he should still be very proud of.

“We wish Nakia and his family all the best with their life after football and thank him for his service to the Brisbane Lions.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back