Retired Nakia Cockatoo (2020-2023)

NAKIA A LION - 11.21AM
Tom Morris reports...

Nakia Cockatoo is a Brisbane Lions player — and fellow outgoing Cat Lachie Fogarty is set to join Carlton.

Geelong accepted Brisbane’s offer of a future third rounder, which they had received from Geelong in a pick swap earlier in the trade period.

Cockatoo has signed a two-year deal at the Lions.

The former No.10 pick had become even more steadfast in recent days that he wanted to head north.

Despite Geelong telling him a deal may not get done, the injury-prone but talented player was determined to be traded.

The Cats had offered a one-year deal on a base salary and were happy to keep him.

As reported by foxfooty.com.au earlier in the week, a stumbling block between the Lions and Geelong had been Brisbane’s lack of selections between Picks 19 and 53.

But Melbourne’s swap of picks with the Lions – which included a future third rounder – allowed Brisbane list boss Dom Ambrogio to offer it up to his counterpart Stephen Wells.

And late on Wednesday morning, with less than 36 hours remaining, it was accepted and processed.

Cockatoo played 34 games for Geelong but has not been seen at the senior level since 2018.

He is managed by the same agent – Tim Lawrence – who orchestrated Lincoln McCarthy’s move to the Lions and Lachie Neale’s trade from Fremantle.

Meanwhile, The Age reports Fogarty and Pick 38 have been to Carlton, with Picks 30 and 51 to Geelong.

Welcome to The Den, Nakia Cockatoo

The Brisbane Lions welcome highly rated former Cat Nakia Cockatoo to the Club after striking a trade with Geelong.

Cockatoo joins the club on a two -year-deal and in return the Cats receive a Future R3 selection attached to Melbourne.

The 24-year-old has played 39 games for Geelong since being taken out of the Northern Territory with pick 10 in the 2014 AFL draft.

List Manager Dom Ambrogio said the Lions’ interest in Cockatoo dated back to his draft year and the Club was thrilled he had decided to continue his career in Brisbane.

‘We welcome Nakia and Grace (& baby Lenah) to our Club as they move their family to Queensland,’’ he said.

“Nakia is a talented footballer who brings power, speed and a competitive edge that we love.

“His versatility is something that Chris will also utilise in the team with his ability to play several roles for us.’’

Cockatoo said he was looking forward to moving to the Sunshine State with his young family and was excited about the next chapter of his career.

“I’m over the moon, there’s been a bit of a wait so when I got the call that it was going ahead it was a great feeling,’’ he said.

“I’ve spoken to Fages a bit and I’m really excited by where the Club is heading and the opportunity for me up there.

“I’d like to thank Geelong, I’m so grateful for the opportunity they gave me, coming from a little town called Humpty Doo, to live out my childhood dream of playing AFL, I can’t thank them enough.

“But now I’m a Brisbane Lion and I can’t wait to get stuck into training with the boys.’’

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Unlikely to be as fast and explosive as he was back then, but still a very good player and will add to our midfield depth once he gains fitness and confidence.

Posted this on the trade thread yesterday, but this clip shows he's still got some pace. Runs away from the Carlton player with ease.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Fair dinkum stole him! Last 2 years Lions brains trust play 3d chess at the trade table.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Guernsey Numbers Revealed
Nakia Cockatoo – 12

If Nakia Cockatoo can produce half the excitement a previous number 12 generated, Lions fans are in for some fun times.

The former Cat will don the No 12 that Jason Akermanis wowed Lions fans in for 210 games during his heyday at the Club.

Akermanis won a Brownlow and three premierships while wearing the number. He shares the games record in the number with another club great, Fitzroy’s Michael Conlon.

The most recent custodian was former Merrett-Murray medallist Stefan Martin who wore the number with distinction in 133 games for the Club.

Cockatoo Continuing To Build

The excitement around Geelong recruit Nakia Cockatoo continues to build ahead of Sir Doug Nicholls Round.

“Nakia is building really well. He’s starting to show glimpses of his massive upside which is exciting,” Hahn said.

“His general aggression and attack on the contest is AFL standard and we’re hopeful he’ll continue to build.”

042006BRRI21RF.jpg

AFL injury news: Nakia Cockatoo suffers another injury setback, Mitch Duncan damages PCL

Former Geelong forward Nakia Cockatoo has been hit by another injury set-back just as he was nearing an AFL debut with Brisbane.

Cockatoo had played five VFL games in a row and was showing the explosive speed and tackling pressure he is renowned for as he built confidence in his body.

But he was taken out of last week’s game after only one possession with hamstring tightness and will not play VFL this week.

Brisbane had hoped he was only weeks from playing his first game for the Lions as a potential finals wildcard.

The club hopes he will train next week and build back up to a position where he can push for a senior game with Brisbane.

He continues to work on pushing himself through minor niggles and pains after becoming understandably cautious about his body.

The Lions have had a number of breakthroughs in allowing him to test the limits of his body without injuring himself.

But the latest setback will clearly push his potential AFL return to the last week weeks of the season.

Cockatoo is hoping to follow the path of fellow injury-prone players Joe Daniher, Grant Birchall and Lincoln McCarthy, who have thrived with the Lions’ injury prevention program.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I like how we are taking an ultra cautious approach with him. Obviously it is disappointing he felt some tightness in his hamstring, however, I think it is great that as soon as there is any minor niggle or sign of an issue we pull him back straight away. Club is fully focussed and committed to rebuilding his body and taking the slow approach. Would be great if he built up enough fitness/continuity to play senior's but most importing thing is getting him through this season largely unscathed and setting him up for a big pre season and consistent senior footy next season. It is also a great sign that as he strung some footy together in the reserves his pace and power was starting to return. I know some on here were worried in his early few games in the VFL that he had lost that athletic ability, however, I think he was just holding himself back somewhat, likely under instruction from our medical team/coaches in order to slowly build back up to things. Fingers crossed he returns to the VFL next week and can start to regain some momentum towards the end of the season.

It's time for Lions to unleash their finals wildcard

THE TIME has come for Brisbane to unleash Nakia Cockatoo.

The former Geelong powerhouse was the Lions' unused medical sub in Saturday's win over Gold Coast and should be named in the 22 to play Hawthorn on Sunday.

It would be the first time he's featured in an AFL game since April 8, 2018, when he played for the Cats against West Coast at Optus Stadium.

It's been a long, and at times difficult, first season for the 24-year-old at his new club, but he's now ready to play at the top level.

Cockatoo has played eight VFL matches this season, the most recent coming on Sunday when he kicked two goals from 13 disposals against Greater Western Sydney.

Little by little he's gained confidence in his body and built it back to an AFL standard.

With four matches remaining until the finals, it's a perfect runway for Brisbane to insert a player that could be a September wildcard.

Cockatoo has similar physical attributes to Cam Rayner – a man the Lions lost during pre-season to a ruptured ACL – and would provide another target opposition teams would have to respect.

Sunday was another sign Cockatoo was ready for the next step, running out the game strongly and putting an exclamation point on his day with a thumping goal from outside 50m that sailed well over the goal umpire's head.

Brisbane signed him last off-season following five injury-riddled years at Geelong with hopes of reviving his career in a similar vein to that of Lincoln McCarthy.

It's taken time, though.

Cockatoo has been dogged by persistent hamstring niggles that both he and the club have been incredibly patient with.

Two games in, one game rest, two games in, one game rest, and the cycle went on.

He has noticeably trimmed down in recent weeks, and even more encouragingly for Brisbane, Cockatoo has hit top speed during his recent matches, splitting packs and winning one-on-two contests with brute force.

Finding a spot for him is difficult in a team that obliterated the Suns with a 13 goals to one second half at the weekend.

Someone would be unlucky, whether it's young defender James Madden, wingman Jarrod Berry who has been in-and-out with injury, versatile Cal Ah Chee who seems to switch ends every other week, or even veteran Grant Birchall whose form has been up and down.

Cockatoo is a match-winner and now his body is ready to play ball.

Back