Training Nakia Cockatoo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our worst top10 draft pick since Steven Hooper

He's shown just enough to suggest there's some serious talent within, so I can't blame them for taking the punt.

Unfortunately the intervening time has revealed that his body (and mind?) is likely to be too fragile for that potential talent to be mined to its fullest extent. Hindsight is always 20/20.

As it sits it's quite likely we'll never know what he could've been.

He's shown just enough to suggest there's some serious talent within, so I can't blame them for taking the punt.

Unfortunately the intervening time has revealed that his body (and mind?) is likely to be too fragile for that potential talent to be mined to its fullest extent. Hindsight is always 20/20.

As it sits it's quite likely we'll never know what he could've been.
True but the club could have shopped him around last year. His issues were very well known

I would. Blicavs rucked against Natanui and got murdered.
Not that it's a good strategy but we've won plenty of games with putrid ruckwork and we probably could have come away with that one if injuries hadn't struck.

Cocky was doing his best to make up for lost time though, and if his body was alright is say he'd push someone out based on what he showed then.

As I remember we were strongly in control of that match until I think Guthers, Cocky then GAJ all went down and the skinny teenagers we had out there fell apart. Wouldn't square that one specifically on the ruck stocks
We were never in control of the match. We were terrible in the first qtr so they put cocky in the middle and he got us back into the match but we were never on top.

Pardon the intrusion, but sorry to hear he's had a setback. I really rate Cockatoo, and have since I first saw his pre-draft footage when dominating that all stars game. It's nothing you guys dont already know, but I think he's your next gun if/when his body sorts itself out.

FWIW, I'm a Physio who's really passionate about trying to get to the root cause of common injuries and dysfunction and what I've found over the years is that almost every Hammy issue is back related.

From what I can see of Nakia (admittedly through Insta and various pics of him on the net) - he gets into shocking spinal shapes when he sits. It sounds boring, and a little too obvious at times, but it gets missed/not focused on enough from what I see. In the industry, we focus so much on strength, running technique, hamstring flexibility etc, which are all important components, but sometimes we miss the influence of the back on hammy function.

Despite being an amazing athlete, a guy like Nakia can still clock up a number of hours a day sitting, and if his default shape is poor, it can set those hammies up to fail over time. The body recruits the hamstrings to help "support" an overloaded low back over time which spells trouble if you spend the rest of your day trying to be explosive and awesome as an AFL footballer (or just being active like the rest of us to be fair).

On a positive note it seems he's only experiencing Hamstring tightness, but that usually suggests he's still not practicing good spinal shapes during his less-athletic moments - sitting on the couch, team meetings, driving, socializing etc. As the great Rom Burgundy says - it's boring, but it's a part of his life.

Sort that out and my experience suggests there's absolutely a future for him with you guys.

Obviously can't confirm any of this first hand as I've never assessed him, but it fits with what I'd expect to see clinically with Hamstring issues.

Hopefully he gets on top of this minor setback and we can see him ripping through the AFL this year.

*If interested, I wrote something regarding Cyril and his hammies a few years back, hopefully it gives Nakia's issues a little more context.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon the intrusion, but sorry to hear he's had a setback. I really rate Cockatoo, and have since I first saw his pre-draft footage when dominating that all stars game. It's nothing you guys dont already know, but I think he's your next gun if/when his body sorts itself out.

FWIW, I'm a Physio who's really passionate about trying to get to the root cause of common injuries and dysfunction and what I've found over the years is that almost every Hammy issue is back related.

From what I can see of Nakia (admittedly through Insta and various pics of him on the net) - he gets into shocking spinal shapes when he sits. It sounds boring, and a little too obvious at times, but it gets missed/not focused on enough from what I see. In the industry, we focus so much on strength, running technique, hamstring flexibility etc, which are all important components, but sometimes we miss the influence of the back on hammy function.

Despite being an amazing athlete, a guy like Nakia can still clock up a number of hours a day sitting, and if his default shape is poor, it can set those hammies up to fail over time. The body recruits the hamstrings to help "support" an overloaded low back over time which spells trouble if you spend the rest of your day trying to be explosive and awesome as an AFL footballer (or just being active like the rest of us to be fair).

On a positive note it seems he's only experiencing Hamstring tightness, but that usually suggests he's still not practicing good spinal shapes during his less-athletic moments - sitting on the couch, team meetings, driving, socializing etc. As the great Rom Burgundy says - it's boring, but it's a part of his life.

Sort that out and my experience suggests there's absolutely a future for him with you guys.

Obviously can't confirm any of this first hand as I've never assessed him, but it fits with what I'd expect to see clinically with Hamstring issues.

Hopefully he gets on top of this minor setback and we can see him ripping through the AFL this year.

*If interested, I wrote something regarding Cyril and his hammies a few years back, hopefully it gives Nakia's issues a little more context.

Thanks for the contribution, though surely our physios know this? Wouldn't they?

I haven't decided yet.

Which reminds me of a story I once heard.
My dad was a POW in Changi, and he was one of the lucky ones who was too badly injured to get sent to the railway.
His lifelong heroes were the 2 surgeons who saved his leg, Dunlop and the other less well known one, a Salvo named Corlett (after whom I was later named, which was lucky, Weary would have been a bit tough at school).
Anyway, he had a fairly black sense of humour, and one day he spent 20-30 minutes examining a badly-wounded bloke on the table, then straightened up and just stood there saying nothing for a good 10 minutes.
It was too much for the bloke's mate, who finally burst out "Well Doc, is he going to make it?!"
"I haven't decided yet"
Your real name is Corlett LeDeux?

Thanks for the insightful post. Hawthorn did a good job getting on top of Cyril's hamstring issues so we can only keep our fingers crossed we have a similar outcome.

Would've been West Coast. He played well.
Silly move playing him first game back at Optus though. Ablett too.
No ruckman as well. Just genius all round.

Was there at that game - played a sublime 2nd 1/4 in the midfield.
Copped a knock to the PCL late in the quarter and didn't return.
I can understand the Club persevering as his potential is huge but , as others have mentioned, he may not have the body to play to that potential.
Hope he does though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back