Training Nakia Cockatoo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The head recruiter is also responsible for trades. You are knocking his trades.

they have to want to come to the club to be able to trade for them.

the only A grader we have brought in is dangerfield. The rest have just been solid contributors in and out of the Best 22 and VFL sides, or just solid best 22 players. We haven’t brought in any A graders besides dangerfield, yet we have lost probably 15 genuine star A grade all Australians.

by any logic it’s just great coaching and recruiting to keep us competitive given the cards we have been given compared to the cards we have lost

That's a fair call. I do know he was a little frustrated with the club last year for holding him back when he was right to go and I do think the club is being a little bit too cautious. This latest set-back is on the minor scale though so I'm sure we'll see him early in the season at VFL level.

All I'm saying is let's not write his career off just yet given it was his knee issues that have previously held him back. PCL injuries can be worse than doing your ACL at times.

I think I feel like one reaches a point where mentally I let my realistic hopes and expectations go, the draft pick used etc is gone. Not written off tile he off our list but mentally now he has moved into area of hope more than expectation.

He probably reside where menzel was for years, and tehn he finally did come back but the player was , was no more.

The lesson to be learnt with NC is that one or two early picks is not enough. Even with the best selection process , it can be an ordinary draft or have a bit too much bad luck. My bet is most clubs have had worse out comes with earlier picks. StKilda for example with mcCartin. How soory would we feel for ourselves is we finally had a top5 pick and that outcome occurred. Yet they now have King..but who knows..he had already done a knee. 20 years ago we started to build with Corey and the Bartel..then had Tenace.

NC has one thing going for him. Compare his situation to someone like Simpson or other like him. If NC can managed to get and stay fit , he will get selected. He probably the most talented player on our list. Certainly top5

Last edited:

Probably the best in the business.

You don’t loose 13AA players over the span of 9 years including other great best 22 while only bringing in one A grade mid in through trade whiLe still finishing top four each year unless you have a very good head recruiter and also a top coach.

Common sense pretty much why we havent dropped off a cliff, we just have great people working at the club.

The players we have traded in comprise only 1 single A grader. And thats dangerfield.

The rest is the quality work of wells and Scott

Ablett has been pretty close to A grade the last couple of season I’d have thought.

He was a star. From nowhere too. To think that after 07 we lost Egan and Nathan Ablett and keep moving forward is hard to believe. Both could’ve been absolute superstar CHB & CHF and that’s not even a reach as far as I’m concerned.

It's not really. Egan may not have developed any more but he was already very good.

Nathan Ablett I'm firmly convinced could have been absolutely anything. Hawkins has developed into a very, very good key forward for us. But I still think Ablett had him covered and was only starting to scratch the surface of what he could do.

He was a star. From nowhere too. To think that after 07 we lost Egan and Nathan Ablett and keep moving forward is hard to believe. Both could’ve been absolute superstar CHB & CHF and that’s not even a reach as far as I’m concerned.

Imagine N Ablett and Hawkins in their prime with guys like SJ and Chappy at their feet...
Would have won another flag atleast.

It's not really. Egan may not have developed any more but he was already very good.

Nathan Ablett I'm firmly convinced could have been absolutely anything. Hawkins has developed into a very, very good key forward for us. But I still think Ablett had him covered and was only starting to scratch the surface of what he could do.

I think people forget what Nath was doing as a kid with less than 20 games experience.
Look at Zion in the NBA, that's what Ablett was doing when he felt like it.

Ablett has been pretty close to A grade the last couple of season I’d have thought.

True, but he did fall of a cliff second half of last season with his soreness. Is only a shadow of his former gaz.

My point is look at the talent that has gone out of our side compared to the players traded in, then analyse how crap our draft picks have been.

Yet we keep finishing top four and performing. Does the sun shine different in geelong?? Are we honestly that arrogant entitled and a great deal of naive to think geelong just ”should ” have been a top team for a continuous period of 12 years?? And that if we didnt win 5-6 flags it is a failure??

Nakia cockatoo coming back in ( if he actually does play) will help alot to keep us a top side and competing for a flag.

I think Nakia can be a real game breaker this season and I hope his body doesn't let him down. I would think the club has worked hard to make sure that his leg muscles are not disproportionately strong relative to the rest of his body. But I like the patient, cautious approach as all the training does not replicate the flood of adrenaline that will hit his body when he has the ball in front of him near goal in a match for premiership points. I would give him 4 weeks in the VFL before considering him for an AFL game. I want his going in September rather than April. For mine, a fit Cockatoo is definitely best 18. Happy to wait a little longer.
Yes, some players are able to deliberately perform at 95%, to prevent injury, and still contribute strongly. Nakia cannot. It’s either 100% or nothing. Danger mentioned this about him too that he needs to know when to go hard and when to go less hard.

If it’s like the KROCK one ... just that they are both benefiting from the enforced break in terms of recovery

and when I say KROCK.. I could be entirely wrong there
Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think so. Worst possible outcome.

He's in his sixth season at the club. Only 34 games. Perennially injured, and hasn't come close to justifying a spot in the team. The hype about him bears no semblance to reality anymore.

I truly don’t get this. Cockatoos best has given us glimpses that he could be a genuine AA elite footballer. Have you really ever stopped to think about how hard they are to come by? And yet you dismiss him out of hand - yes he’s had
Injuries but s**t he’s still young enough to come good. But after dismissing him, you’ll defend Constable till the cows come home, who, has had 2 years of playing time, not injured, and shown multitude of reasons why he’s GHS mark 2. I just don’t get your thinking at times - and this isn’t a dig, it’s a “help me understand” question.

Don't think so. Worst possible outcome.

He's in his sixth season at the club. Only 34 games. Perennially injured, and hasn't come close to justifying a spot in the team. The hype about him bears no semblance to reality anymore.

I'm not medical person..but I'm wondering if NC will be a bit like Vardy... who has now moved into having and afl body after many years of issues. A year off playing hurt or help ..I don't know.

Last edited:
I truly don’t get this. Cockatoos best has given us glimpses that he could be a genuine AA elite footballer. Have you really ever stopped to think about how hard they are to come by? And yet you dismiss him out of hand - yes he’s had
Injuries but s**t he’s still young enough to come good. But after dismissing him, you’ll defend Constable till the cows come home, who, has had 2 years of playing time, not injured, and shown multitude of reasons why he’s GHS mark 2. I just don’t get your thinking at times - and this isn’t a dig, it’s a “help me understand” question.

I'm not sure if anyone knows if his body can gradually mature like Vardy or will stay too fractious but the one thing we know with a high degree of certainty...his best is good enough, in fact his best is possibly in the best handful at the club.

I'm not medical person..but I'm wondering if NC will be a bit like Vardy... who has no moved into having and afl body after many years of issues. A year off playing hurt or help ..I don't know.
Huh? Vardy has hardly been injury free at west coast. Been injured multiple times. Nothing significant, but this story keeps growing and growing until some people believe he is immortal.

Huh? Vardy has hardly been injury free at west coast. Been injured multiple times. Nothing significant, but this story keeps growing and growing until some people believe he is immortal.

Not saying he is bulletproof or immortal. Just afl ready to play repeat games.
After 5 to 6 years where he played 25 games in total with a max of 10 games in a one season for us ..he has played 22 in his first year at wc and 43 in 3 years. Im sure he has been injured at times too but he has managed to be able to play more there than at anytime at Geelong. Im sure most would love to get 17-22 games out of NC in a season

Not saying he is bulletproof or immortal. Just afl ready to play repeat games.
After 5 to 6 years where he played 25 games in total with a max of 10 games in a one season for us ..he has played 22 in his first year at wc and 43 in 3 years. Im sure he has been injured at times too but he has managed to be able to play more there than at anytime at Geelong. Im sure most would love to get 17-22 games out of NC in a season
I'd be happy if he just finished a few games.
Or, more to the point, just a few first halves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back