Training Nakia Cockatoo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are very altruistic and commendable. . I am a bit peeved that all this time he has given us nothing, and that he needs a change of team and state to suddenly tear it up.
Plus Lions are a real threat to be up there for some time.
But better them than Tigers or Hawks, so not a total downer for me.

My feeling is we were spun the line from the club , taking our time , long term player etc etc ... and in the end all the time has been a waste.

We may as well be more ruthless an let injured players go earlier , the time given to him to get right has not been valued by him.

One of the most bizarre things I have consistently read on here was the amazing potential that people thought Cockatoo had.

Should have moved him on 2 years ago.
I'm one of those people. The most excited for me about a player we've got since Nablett. Kept me excited about the club for a while.
He's kind of done though now unfortunately even he does get right.
F**k all footy at any level in 3 years.

Much of a muchness between the draft swap 6 yrs ago originally btwn us & Adl. Both Cocky and Lever had pre-draft injury concerns.
Adl got the points early with Lever etching out close to 100 games plus being an integral part of that crow's era that got them to gf. Since leaving Adl and coming to Melbourne he done a knee (again) Cocky has looked everything a dusty figure or Rayner *like, but soft tissue has muted him.
Good luck Cocky I for will have faith in that you can play the game and have the talent.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is all just words. Time is the only thing that will tell us whether this decision pays divs or costs us.

Reality says its time. F3rd round pick(Melb) might grease the Cameron machinery or select a 10 year player next year.

And that's where we are. Sit back and watch. Enjoy the intrigue

Last edited:
I'm one of those people. The most excited for me about a player we've got since Nablett. Kept me excited about the club for a while.
He's kind of done though now unfortunately even he does get right.
F**k all footy at any level in 3 years.

I hear ya. What could have been? I'm too numb to even come up with any utensil-related innuendos. Bit stiff I know...

Much of a muchness between the draft swap 6 yrs ago originally btwn us & Adl. Both Cocky and Lever had pre-draft injury concerns.
Adl got the points early with Lever etching out close to 100 games plus being an integral part of that crow's era that got them to gf. Since leaving Adl and coming to Melbourne he done a knee (again) Cocky has looked everything a dusty figure or Rayner *like, but soft tissue has muted him.
Good luck Cocky I for will have faith in that you can play the game and have the talent.

Reckon I'd rather have those two first round picks Adelaide got when Lever left than anything Cockatoo has given us. It really isn't even close

What did Adelaide end up with from their Lever trade? A lot more draft capital than we got for Cockatoo for sure, not sure who they actually picked.

One of the most bizarre things I have consistently read on here was the amazing potential that people thought Cockatoo had.

Should have moved him on 2 years ago.

Yes, but far better judges of football than you can see the potential, notably players like Dangerfield and Selwood. It's rare that a player has Cockatoo's level of physical presence coupled with extreme speed and creativity. He is physically intimidating 'inside', quick and skillful on the outside. That potential was not reached at Geelong due constant injuries—34 games in six seasons. It may never be reached due to injury; Brisbane will find out.

General poor message around the AFL with players, it seems - McCarthy, Cocky, and now Fogerty as well ALL claiming the biggest reason for their move is their confidence in another club doing a proper job on their rehab/injury management, and McCarthy has proven that correct. If Cocky and Fogerty stay on the park and play good footy, I hope there is at least ONE indelendant Director on our Board who asks the question and doesnt get snowed by Cook, etc, on our injury/medical approach.

General poor message around the AFL with players, it seems - McCarthy, Cocky, and now Fogerty as well ALL claiming the biggest reason for their move is their confidence in another club doing a proper job on their rehab/injury management, and McCarthy has proven that correct. If Cocky and Fogerty stay on the park and play good footy, I hope there is at least ONE indelendant Director on our Board who asks the question and doesnt get snowed by Cook, etc, on our injury/medical approach.
Aside from the always injured utensil, we had a full list to choose from in the GF. That's a pretty rare feat, especially if you subscribe to the "Geelong Retirement Home" line of thinking.

Linc was playing game after game for us before he left. What exactly did the brisbane medicos do to "fix" him, considering he wasn't injured when he left?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but far better judges of football than you can see the potential, notably players like Dangerfield and Selwood. It's rare that a player has Cockatoo's level of physical presence coupled with extreme speed and creativity. He is physically intimidating 'inside', quick and skillful on the outside. That potential was not reached at Geelong due constant injuries—34 games in six seasons. It may never be reached due to injury; Brisbane will find out.

How was he intimidating exactly?

Players are just as prone to bias as everyone else. Remember when Dangerfield uttered a line about McCarthy to the effect of "where have you been hiding this bloke?" Of course, people switched their brains off - because if one player says it it must be true - and pretended he was this superstar the whole time. Which he never, ever was. And has gone to Brisbane and continued on that path.

Cockatoo was close to the most overrated player I can ever remember on this board. One spectacular goal in a pre-season game equated to instant best 22 and stardom. He never ever proved himself and never ever justified the hype.

But he was intimidating. Course he was.

Fogarty has been available for selection for bulk of this season, so clearly our medical staff did something right as it's not like he's been only sitting in the medical rooms. We also need to remember with Fogarty that when he was out with injury last year & not playing VFL, he did decide to play basketball with mates - that's not the best look for someone who's apparently rehabbing

And thanks to dazbroncos for this from McCarthy in an interview with Krock earlier this year:

Linc McCarthy on KROCK.
on being fot at BL -
2 reasons - the weather seems to be a factor.
Also stated that his approach at BL is far better and more serious than when at GFC. Took some harder lessons to learn once he moved and realsied that he was not as applied to the his rehab at GFC as at BL. Change of scenrey helped him realise it and the change he's made has shown results.

Interesting he putting his hand up as the party at fault and not the GFC medicos that worked to get him back.

I know that the injury, rehab & medical team discussion can sometimes be simplified down to the idea that we apparently are doing well enough with injured players & they have to go elsewhere to get their body's right - but what contribution or role does the player have in their rehab

Over recent years the likes of Guthrie, Menegola, Kolodjashnij, Taylor, Henderson, Blicavs, Stanley & Parfitt have battled injuries, and our medical team has had no issues with rehabbing them & getting them back on the park - so clearly our medical team ain't too bad, and doubt there's a team who hasn't had a long term injury they've tried to deal with

I'll leave the last work to McCarthy who has spoken highly of our medical team:

"I was still very fortunate to be involved in such a great club. All the people there are amazing. The community down there is awesome," he said.

"I've never really tried to look back and look at regrets and stuff like that, I've just tried to learn a little bit from it. The guys had a great support network back there, the medical team was brilliant, it just didn't work out for me.

"My only disappointment was not being able to repay the faith that Geelong had in me for all the years. Just the work they all put in to try and get me out on the park. I feel like I'm forever in debt to those guys."

Not sure on this claim.
Pretty much wide of the mark... IMO.

How was he intimidating exactly?

Players are just as prone to bias as everyone else. Remember when Dangerfield uttered a line about McCarthy to the effect of "where have you been hiding this bloke?" Of course, people switched their brains off - because if one player says it it must be true - and pretended he was this superstar the whole time. Which he never, ever was. And has gone to Brisbane and continued on that path.

Cockatoo was close to the most overrated player I can ever remember on this board. One spectacular goal in a pre-season game equated to instant best 22 and stardom. He never ever proved himself and never ever justified the hype.

But he was intimidating. Course he was.

Superstar? Typical overreach and hyperbole. People were talking about his obvious potential, which is rather different from claiming he is a proven star.

As for intimidating, he has poll-axed multiple players in his short career. As I said, his combination of attributes— physical presence, speed, and skill—is rare. Therefore, he has potential, which means his abilities have yet to be proven consistently.

And as for your haughty 'switching off the brain' comment, I can only shake my head in amused disbelief. This from a bloke who mistakes blanket negativity and personal opinion for critical thinking.

Perhaps they are, perhaps they are not

Out of all the draft picks over the last 20 years, Cockatoo was only behind Hawkins for my level of excitement. It’s a real shame he’s leaving as we have invested so much time into his injury management

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pcl was understandable. An impact injury.

The continual pinged hammies is a different matter. Suggestions he was holding back running speed to protect them, so he could move to qld for a 2 yr contract. I’m still not fully convinced those hamstrings will last. Time will tell.

It will be interesting to see.

Agree....Yes I know he's at the Lions now, but I hope he can put a career together up there...he just seems like a good kid...

All the best to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back