Training Nakia Cockatoo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gees you look at things from biased angles. West coast were 5 goals up at one point in the first half. The most we ever got ahead was by a couple of goals.
What I'm saying is despite insipid ruckwork we were able to take back 5 goal deficit and get 3 goals ahead. I don't know how you can pin the whole thing on ruckwork when we had the ascendancy for basically a half of footy

Gees you look at things from biased angles. West coast were 5 goals up at one point in the first half. The most we ever got ahead was by a couple of goals.

We spent a lot of tickets to get in front yet , had Fogarty converted one tough one and a very easy one in the last, we would have been about 20 points up mid last 1/4 (IIRC). Eagles may not have pegged us back from there.
Ablett played HBF in the 3rd and had it on a string until that sprint tore his hammy :(

Ok.. this is the Nakai Cocaktoo thrread

Those wanting to relive 2018 losses go elsewhere.

There is a game day and autopsy thread for it.

Next post will end up there.

Move on.

GO Catters

I think with Nakia, climate has to be a factor. I myself have experienced moving from the NT to Melbourne, and unless you are used to that type of a cold climate it takes time for the body to adapt. Nakia has gone from playing his entire football career in the summer, 35 degree heat, 90% humidity, to straight away a climate that barely gets above 10 degrees during football season, and even worse into a professional taxing environment. I understand that plenty of other NT footballers survive just fine in Vic (even Cyril took time to overcome numerous soft tissue injuries), but Nakia you would agree is built quite uniquely to other NT footballers. I have everything crossed despite the latest setback his body can turn it around, but objectively I just don't think it will stand up.

I think with Nakia, climate has to be a factor. I myself have experienced moving from the NT to Melbourne, and unless you are used to that type of a cold climate it takes time for the body to adapt. Nakia has gone from playing his entire football career in the summer, 35 degree heat, 90% humidity, to straight away a climate that barely gets above 10 degrees during football season, and even worse into a professional taxing environment. I understand that plenty of other NT footballers survive just fine in Vic (even Cyril took time to overcome numerous soft tissue injuries), but Nakia you would agree is built quite uniquely to other NT footballers. I have everything crossed despite the latest setback his body can turn it around, but objectively I just don't think it will stand up.
He has been in Vic for what 5 years now should be plenty of time to adjust more likely his body just isn't suitable for AFl

He has been in Vic for what 5 years now should be plenty of time to adjust more likely his body just isn't suitable for AFl

And how long has his been constantly injured for? Four-Five years? I'd be confident in betting a slab that if he went to the GC or Lions he wouldn't be getting injured as much

And how long has his been constantly injured for? Four-Five years? I'd be confident in betting a slab that if he went to the GC or Lions he wouldn't be getting injured as much
Maybe the warmer weather would help but my comment was mainly about him needing time to adjust to Vic weather being colder which he has had plenty so more time wont fix that if it is the problem

Not that it's a good strategy but we've won plenty of games with putrid ruckwork and we probably could have come away with that one if injuries hadn't struck.

Cocky was doing his best to make up for lost time though, and if his body was alright is say he'd push someone out based on what he showed then.
If we had a ruck, blicavs on darling and no injuries we would of won by 6-10 goals. With injuries we should of won by 2-6 goals. But we lost cos we didnt play our best ruckman (or second best for that matter) and didnt play our full back at full back and then had injuries.

Cocky was injured plenty as a junior too, Bennell up in the GC/Perth...

It's way too hard to try and pin something down as "the thing". Even if you're a physio you'd have some ideas, informed by various things, but you cannot have a definitive certainty.

At this point in time I don't see why this injury can't be a small niggle and overcome. It might be more, it might be the last nail in the coffin. But there isn't enough evidence to believe that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we had a ruck, blicavs on darling and no injuries we would of won by 6-10 goals. With injuries we should of won by 2-6 goals. But we lost cos we didnt play our best ruckman (or second best for that matter) and didnt play our full back at full back and then had injuries.
We did play Nakia cockatoo in that match, the player this thread is about. To get back on topic - he was electric that match and had he been fit there's a reasonable shot we win despite the awful ruckwork

Thanks for the contribution, though surely our physios know this? Wouldn't they?
It's tough to know. The cats medical team are great and as an industry we're becoming pretty sophisticated at conditioning the hammy. I just see a lot of missing perspective at the same time. You'd like to think they're hammering Cockatoo on the boring details, but many dont yet, only because it's not standard practice yet.

Thanks for the insightful post. Hawthorn did a good job getting on top of Cyril's hamstring issues so we can only keep our fingers crossed we have a similar outcome.
Just as a side note, from my perspective the Hawks did an amazing job with his Hammies but more so from a buffering perspective, not a cure. They really strengthened his back, hips, hammies, calves etc which made them more robust, but his base postures were horrible. To me, those hammies could have come back at some point if he kept playing.

If you keep an eye out, you'll see the same issues with Bennell, Darcy Moore, Jamie Elliott, and anyone else with persistent calf, hammy, quad and probably groin issues (Daniher). Its criminally underrated.

Article from the AFL site...just great news!! 😫😒

EXCITEMENT around Geelong's Nakia Cockatoo has been put on hold as the livewire forward continues to manage his troublesome hamstrings that will rule him out of round one.

Cockatoo, who enters 2020 on a one-year contract, remains at least a month away from playing matches at any level after yet another frustrating pre-season.

The 23-year-old had impressed on the training track up until January, even prompting superstar Cat Patrick Dangerfield to label him a potential point of "difference" for Geelong this season.

However, he has been backed off his loads in recent weeks after complaining of the same hamstring soreness that restricted him to just 40 minutes of VFL football for the entire 2019 campaign.

"The body's going OK at the moment, it's just trying to get my hammy strength back up to 100 per cent," Cockatoo said on Sunday.

"Hopefully, I’m back fully training soon and playing some footy.

"I'm making sure I'm doing everything right in the gym and making sure I'm up-and-running for training sessions.

"I want to make sure everything is all right before I do go 100 per cent.

I think it's just back to full training for three or four weeks, and then maybe even a VFL game, hopefully.

Cockatoo hasn't been seen at AFL level since round three, 2018, a season in which he twice suffered damage to his PCL.

The former No.10 draft pick has also battled a series of soft tissue setbacks across his 34-game career – including three hamstring injuries in 2017 before he was recalled for a preliminary final.

Chris Scott is an unabashed fan of Cockatoo, while his teammates are desperate for his bullocking presence to return.

"He's going to be one of the biggest differences that we have this year," Dangerfield told SEN in January.

"The challenge for him is he's been too powerful for his own good early and he's starting to get that balance of when to push yourself incredibly hard and burst through three tackles versus just holding the tackler up.

"It has taken him a while to adjust to that and understand, but I think he's slowly getting there now."

Jack Steven (calf) is still working back to full fitness, while Joel Selwood (hamstring), Jake Kolodjashnij (hip) and Mitch Duncan (hip) remain on modified duties.

To be honest, I don't believe this set back is all that dire. The PCL injuries x2 were simply bad luck, not a result of his body 'breaking down' but collisions. This article from the AFL last year explains just how bad PCL injuries are, worse than ACLs in some respects. If he is over the PCL, and this is just hamstring soreness, then things could be a lot worse. Fingers crossed.

Article from the AFL site...just great news!! 😫😒

EXCITEMENT around Geelong's Nakia Cockatoo has been put on hold as the livewire forward continues to manage his troublesome hamstrings that will rule him out of round one.

Cockatoo, who enters 2020 on a one-year contract, remains at least a month away from playing matches at any level after yet another frustrating pre-season.

The 23-year-old had impressed on the training track up until January, even prompting superstar Cat Patrick Dangerfield to label him a potential point of "difference" for Geelong this season.

However, he has been backed off his loads in recent weeks after complaining of the same hamstring soreness that restricted him to just 40 minutes of VFL football for the entire 2019 campaign.

"The body's going OK at the moment, it's just trying to get my hammy strength back up to 100 per cent," Cockatoo said on Sunday.

"Hopefully, I’m back fully training soon and playing some footy.

"I'm making sure I'm doing everything right in the gym and making sure I'm up-and-running for training sessions.

"I want to make sure everything is all right before I do go 100 per cent.

I think it's just back to full training for three or four weeks, and then maybe even a VFL game, hopefully.

Cockatoo hasn't been seen at AFL level since round three, 2018, a season in which he twice suffered damage to his PCL.

The former No.10 draft pick has also battled a series of soft tissue setbacks across his 34-game career – including three hamstring injuries in 2017 before he was recalled for a preliminary final.

Chris Scott is an unabashed fan of Cockatoo, while his teammates are desperate for his bullocking presence to return.

"He's going to be one of the biggest differences that we have this year," Dangerfield told SEN in January.

"The challenge for him is he's been too powerful for his own good early and he's starting to get that balance of when to push yourself incredibly hard and burst through three tackles versus just holding the tackler up.

"It has taken him a while to adjust to that and understand, but I think he's slowly getting there now."

Jack Steven (calf) is still working back to full fitness, while Joel Selwood (hamstring), Jake Kolodjashnij (hip) and Mitch Duncan (hip) remain on modified duties.

Idk him saying it’s just sore and they’re working to strengthen it seems better than an actual injury.

The only time we’ll get to see him play is when he plays for Brisbane next year, they’ll get him up and running.

The fitness coach/'s always have him too weighty for preseason. Why does he always look like he could go UFC (I mean he looks fierce, but he's 6ft2) and Hawkins looks the trimmest he can possibly be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back