Prediction Name 3 ex-players or officials you'd appoint to the MRP review team

Remove this Banner Ad

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Obviously the people mustn't be working for an AFL club at this time (through they could resign from their current position to accept the appointment)

I think Tom Lonergan would do the job admirably as would Robert Murphy and Nick Riewoldt.

Any suggestions?

Maybe we've already got an MRP panel of three or more:

McIvaney
Taylor
Matthews
Ling
Richardson

etc

I wonder if there are more MRP referrals in games covered by Seven v games exclusive to Fox Footy. Over the course of a season it'd be interesting to see the numbers. If I had to guess I'd say that Seven results in more referrals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are missing the point with the criticism of Christian.
The new system was always intended to take control away from an independent body/person and hand it to the AFL, via Hocking, so that it could adjust decisions according to what it sees as that week's AFL priorities.
It's the AFL which now makes the decision, not the so-called "MRO".
Christian is nothing but a Triage Nurse, and the PR flak to front the cameras and justify the unjustifiable.

People are missing the point with the criticism of Christian.
The new system was always intended to take control away from an independent body/person and hand it to the AFL, via Hocking, so that it could adjust decisions according to what it sees as that week's AFL priorities.
It's the AFL which now makes the decision, not the so-called "MRO".
Christian is nothing but a Triage Nurse, and the PR flak to front the cameras and justify the unjustifiable.

You could have fooled me Fred
Michael Christian to replace AFL match review panel under new judiciary system
Send via Email

The fate of AFL players will lie in the hands of one person in 2018, one of many changes that new footy boss Steve Hocking has introduced to the AFL's judiciary system, stamping his authority on one of the most polarising issues in the game.

Collingwood premiership player Michael Christian will be the only member of the revamped MRP.

Michael Christian and Steve Hocking at the AFL's announcement on Thursday.

Photo: Justin McManus
In his role as the single decision-maker, Christian will liaise directly with Hocking, who will sign off on each incident.

Christian, the judiciary's new sheriff, admits he considered the pressure that comes with working as a lone ranger before accepting the position.

You could have fooled me Fred
Michael Christian to replace AFL match review panel under new judiciary system
Send via Email

The fate of AFL players will lie in the hands of one person in 2018, one of many changes that new footy boss Steve Hocking has introduced to the AFL's judiciary system, stamping his authority on one of the most polarising issues in the game.

Collingwood premiership player Michael Christian will be the only member of the revamped MRP.

Michael Christian and Steve Hocking at the AFL's announcement on Thursday.

Photo: Justin McManus
In his role as the single decision-maker, Christian will liaise directly with Hocking, who will sign off on each incident.

Christian, the judiciary's new sheriff, admits he considered the pressure that comes with working as a lone ranger before accepting the position.
You missed the bit in the original announcements where it said that ALL of Christian's decisions BOTH AS TO GUILT AND TO PENALTY have to be ticked off by Hocking.

You missed the bit in the original announcements where it said that ALL of Christian's decisions BOTH AS TO GUILT AND TO PENALTY have to be ticked off by Hocking.

The problem there is that intentional contact with an ump had no set penalty that Christian could recommend hence straight to the tribunal. Of course he then went into prosecution mode on radio to begin the lynching of Hawkins before Hawk had a chance to defend himself against the charge.

Jimmy Bartel (although he resigned, which makes him a good person for MRP because he knew about all the crap, this time let him stop it)
Nick Riewoldt
Russell Robertson

Although, sauron's three are a fantastic choice
Barry Hall
Steven Baker
Greg Williams

:D

I reckon Luke Hodge would be a good start.
Obviously has leadership qualitys and the respect of his peers .
Then say Corey Enright .
Then possibly an ex coach like Mark Neeld , Mark Williams etc

Jimmy Bartel (although he resigned, which makes him a good person for MRP because he knew about all the crap, this time let him stop it)
Nick Riewoldt
Russell Robertson
Oh I do like this. I'd forgotten about Russell Robertson but I reckon he would be great. Luke Hodge and Bob Murphy would be good options as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back