Name a better series than Deadwood

Buffy is no garbage show, you ignorant twat. It's one of the most intelligent shows in television history. Only the fools that can't see past its supernatural elements fail to see it.

I've watched the first two seasons of Deadwood and enjoyed them throughly... I'd still rate The Sopranos, The Shield, Battlestar Galactica and Buffy ahead of it though.
:D:D

Hey made me laugh :thumbsu:

Not saying its a bad show, but its hardly intelligent...

How exactly DO you see past its supernatural elements when that is the main story which all others revolve around?

Sep 7, 2004
The Arthouse
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The F.Torres Worshippers
I love it when posters demonstrate the stupidity of their views for me. Good stuff :thumbsu:

Yeah, cos snarkiness equals intelligence...:rolleyes:

Buffy is an intelligent show. It deals with some very serious subject matter. The supernatural elements are metaphors for things in everyday life. Love, sex, relationships, abandonment, redemption, female empowerment, misogny, growing up, the transition from teenager to adulthood. It's all in there. Most people just don't look past the goofy title.

Watch the episode with no speaking, or the episode where Buffy's mum dies and then tell me it's fluff.... or you can just write another stupid comment that you think passes for authoritative, know-all intelligence.

mr_cellotape

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The supernatural elements are metaphors for things in everyday life.

That demonstrates the laziness of the writing. Much like Lost with its flashbacks, black smoke, and polar bears, if you have to rely on a gimmick to tell the story and impart the themes, the writing just isn't intelligent. I'm not saying Buffy is bad; I'm saying it's not remotely on the level of shows that don't need to rely on the gimmicks of demons and hot nubile young actresses engage the audience and impart its messages.

Sep 7, 2004
The Arthouse
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The F.Torres Worshippers
That demonstrates the laziness of the writing. Much like Lost with its flashbacks, black smoke, and polar bears, if you have to rely on a gimmick to tell the story and impart the themes, the writing just isn't intelligent. I'm not saying Buffy is bad; I'm saying it's not remotely on the level of shows that don't need to rely on the gimmicks of demons and hot nubile young actresses engage the audience and impart its messages.

Well in that case if we're going to discount Buffy for using metaphors, then we should discount nearly every piece of art written, filmed, recorded or drawn. Metaphors have been a part of fiction going back to the first Greek tragedies. Art shouldn't have to dumb itself down, just so stupid people can understand what is really going on beneath the surface.

mr_cellotape

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well in that case if we're going to discount Buffy for using metaphors, then we should discount nearly every piece of art written, filmed, recorded or drawn. Metaphors have been a part of fiction going back to the first Greek tragedies. Art shouldn't have to dumb itself down, just so stupid people can understand what is really going on beneath the surface.

Nice lack of reading comprehension. I didn't discount it for using metaphors. I discounted it because it relies on a gimmick in order to set up those metaphors.

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham
Wow I hate people that believe their opinion is fact and that no one is allowed to dispute it.

Yeah true.

What's the point of this thread? You asked a question and when people answer you are shooting them down.

Getting a bit sick of this particular forum (and any other forum discussing a TV show i.e. IMDB.com forums which is like this but 10 X worse) and the attitude people have when comparing shows like this against others. When more intelligent, higher brow shows which aren't massively popular like Deadwood, that some people may not like but are critically acclaimed gives people the mind set of hopping onto the internet and shooting down people because they don't like the show (or in this case because they think another show is better) with comments like "it's too subtle for you, you are too stupid" or "go watch Bingo night" and things like that.

The Zebra

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Jun 29, 2004
Hung Like a Horse
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Buffy was a great show and I agree with Mr. Sensitive - plenty of intelligent writing.

Z_K

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor
Feb 21, 2002
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
My missus likes Buffy more than any human on the planet. She is mental for it.

But even she concedes that Deadwood is a better show. She enjoyed Buffy more, but in a discussion regarding quality, she has admitted that you have to say Deadwood is better.

Z_K

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor
Feb 21, 2002
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
The West Wing has it comfortably covered. The greatest drama series ever.

No.

I love the West Wing. Sensational TV show. But Deadwood has it covered. Better acted (Sheen and Schiff could hold their own in Deadwood, the rest would get reamed), better written (Deadwood is genius writing), far more complex and important sub-characters.

The Sopranos, The West Wing and Oz are all fantastic, but Deadwood is king.

**********s.

likka

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Mar 12, 2004
Rehab
AFL Club
Collingwood
No.

I love the West Wing. Sensational TV show. But Deadwood has it covered. Better acted (Sheen and Schiff could hold their own in Deadwood, the rest would get reamed), better written (Deadwood is genius writing), far more complex and important sub-characters.

**********s.

Sopranos, West Wing and Deadwood are my favourite dramas... but as much as I love Deadwood I'd still rate it slightly behind the other two.

West Wing doesn't get the love it deserves, IMO this is the best written drama of all time. Aaron Sorkin did an amazing job.

Sopranos is still no 1 for me though.

Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rochester FC, Waroona FC, Pacers
No.

**********s.

You are wrong.

Bad luck.

Cookie

Club Legend
May 2, 2004
Right in front of you
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
CreweAlex,SF Giants,Detroit Lions
There is a common theme in most of the replies to this thread.

That's HBO.

They really know how to produce great drama. I'd like to throw "Big Love" into the mix. I can't get into "John From Cincinnati". Milch dropped Deadwood to make this heap of crap.

On Deadwood, it had everything. I loved it. However the last 3 episodes were pretty ordinary which brought the series down a bit.

There were some great one-liners. Swegen saying to one of the whores when she was giving him oral "Slow down. What, have you got a stagecoach to catch"?

Wu going nuts about the San Franciso c***sucker. He said the word about 10 times. Swegen says "Glad I taught that f***ing word, Wu".

I can't recall a series with so many different character types. This was probably its strongest asset. Along with the power plays and the political undertheme, it will be one of the best shows ever made.

Oct 3, 2005
On the Mat
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
http://dominance.com.au
Desperate Housewives is a great show.

Your the tool.

Your arguement is stupid.

Logic isnt stupid, your stupid.

Talk about self-ownage!

Anyway, Deadwood would have to be up there as one of the greatest series ever. Acting, plot lines, sets, characters. All brilliant.

I haven't seen the entire series of Soprano's or all of the West Wing (yet), but they'd be up there. The only other series I could think of that also would be up there with that kind of Quality is Band of Brothers.

Deadwood would have to be up towards the top of the all time best tv series ever produced.

Aug 2, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers, Bulls, Ducks, Angels
West Wing doesn't get the love it deserves,

Nothing even comes close to The Wire as far as under appreciation goes.

Most people haven't even heard about it, let alone seen it. And half of those that do see it don't have the attention span required for such a show.

Nothing even comes close to The Wire as far as under appreciation goes.

Most people haven't even heard about it, let alone seen it. And half of those that do see it don't have the attention span required for such a show.
Same goes for The Shield. People say The Sopranos is the most badly treated show on Australian TV, pfft. At least they get to see their show. Fans of The Shield and The Wire laugh at the idea of seeing them on Aussie TV.

Obi-Haive

All Australian
Nov 29, 2005
Amity Island
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
:D:D

Hey made me laugh :thumbsu:

Not saying its a bad show, but its hardly intelligent...

How exactly DO you see past its supernatural elements when that is the main story which all others revolve around?

Yes, yes!

Just like Hamlet is about some ******** rich kid who see's his old mans ghost and sets about avenging him. AND THAT'S ALL IT'S ABOUT!!!

Just an early version of Deathwish really.

BAH!

mr_cellotape

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can't get into "John From Cincinnati".

Ugh, yeah. Started off really well, and looked like it was gunna be great. But the ending was atrocious. A shame, too, because it had some good performances (Ed O'Neill in particular) and good dialogue, but the plot-wise it totally, err, lost the plot.

Back