Roast Name a player that we have actually developed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Under scott I believe we have developed Waite. Resurrected if you will from an injury prone suspended dill into a serious KPF.

Higgins was an injury prone forgotten has been.

Jacob's an injury riddled nobody.

Made the comment to BoomerRoo the other night that we have rarely developed young kids PAST their natural talent recently. Feel that our development coaches need a big turn over.

Insane. If we gonna move one on its Cunners.
Jack is inspirational and passionate and has good leadership skills but he has never played at the same consistently high standard at which Cunners played in the 2-3 seasons before this year. Jack has been good this year, but across their careers Cunners has played much better footy.

the same Ellis that Gibson takes care of every game we play the tigers?
The same Ellis that is, I think, emblematic of the Tigers' recruiting. Good ordinary player that isn't the star they think. Vlaustin too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard an interesting discussion recently maybe on radio over here in SA about how a lot of the younger fellas that play SANFL seniors are rated really highly, but they have progressed in their development a large degree already, and by the time they reach the afl they they either can stagnate or slightly increase their ability.

Seeing as we've taken a liking to SA boys, is there possibly a problem with talent identification in that we get these guys in who look the goods early days but that is their ceiling?

I can name two:

Josh Gibson and David Hale.

You had to do it didn't you! I thought no one would mention the obvious but nah you see see wnet and did it and now i have to clean up up this pile of vomit from the computer desk that involuntarliy ejected from my person as i had to be reminded of those great decisions :( damn i'm going to need a hanky soon, bastard.....

Over the Scott tenure you could make arguments that we have developed Brown, Tarrant, Goldstein, McDonald, Cunnington and Ziebell. But that is really about where it ends. The latter three should really end up being consistent A-Graders considering where they were taken in the draft but I just can't see it happening.

Every single other player on our list has either gone backwards or has stagnated badly excluding the older heads obviously. Over the past 5-6 years we have failed to develop an incredible number of players who have shown they have solid AFL attributes but for some reason they lack consistency to step their game up to another level. In my opinion these are the players who we have failed to develop:

- Atley
- McMillan
- McKenzie
- Mullett
- Wright
- Black
- Daw
- Hansen
- Harper
- Bastinac
- Greenwood
- Adams
- Speight
- Richardson
- Delaney Brothers
- Urquhart

Some of these guys have had their injury concerns while others didn't had limitations, but in all seriousness when do the questions get asked of our development?

I get so frustrated when I see average players becoming solid footballers at other clubs meanwhile we have guys that don't make the most of their talent, or are we recruiting the wrong types of players?

Well sorry to cut your list short, but I have to put an X on some of the players you've mentioned.
Richardson - Traded to Melbourne at the end of his first season of AFL, therefore no time to develop
Greenwood - Actually was headed for a good looking career and had clearly developed as he'd been playing at North for a few years before he had a stellar 2014 season. He was poached by Collingwood the following year.
Urquhart - When did he even last play?
MacMillan - Any North supporter will pick up a great season so far as he proves to be becoming a solid part of our backline

That's all I have to say. I would love to go in detail about the rest, but I'll save it unless someone would like some extra insight?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back