Name some players like Jason Heatley (one season wonders)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gainzo

Team Captain
Aug 7, 2003
Nashua, New Hampshire
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bruins, Celtics, Hibs
In 1997 it seemed like he never missed a shot a goal. Kicked 73 that season and took the Saints to the Grand Final......................Then he literally disappeared.

Update: It's been pointed out in the thread that he kicked 48 goals the next season. If you are reading this Jason; my apologies.

Last edited:

Ryan Murphy, although he was more a half-season wonder. Played the latter half of 2006 and was a big part of our team that won 9 in a row and ended up in a prelim. Kicked 22.8 in 12 games as a foil for Pav and made a name for himself as a dead-eye. Kicked a total of 19 goals in the following 4 years and then was gone for good. Kicked 50 goals over a 7-year career and almost half of those came in that 2006 stretch. I'm not sure anyone outside of Freo remembers him.

We tried and failed to find a competent tall fwd to put next to Pav over his career and scarily he was possibly the best we had. In 17 years.

EDIT: I know it doesn't jump out as a particularly noteworthy contribution but for context: that year we had our first top 4 finish, our greatest ever winning streak, our first finals win and were a game away from a GF, and none of it may have happened if not for Spud Murphy randomly getting good for a bit.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Pearce - Carlton - 1995. Blues picked him up from the Bad News Bears in 1994. He played 2 games for them in 1994 and then in 1995, their premiership team, he played in 23 games and kicked 52.40, he was 24. Injuries and poor form got him then. He had to more seasons of 30+ but his numbers in every category were miles off his '95 numbers. After that premiership season he played another 52 games and was done at 28 years of age. He got to 79 career games and kicked just a shade under 2 goals per game.

1602221037223.png

Darren Cuthberston - Melbourne - 1991, not even a season, 4 games. Was marking everything and kicking bags. 32 games in 3 seasons and he was done at 23 years of age. I'll always remember him taking a big grab over Dennis Banks (Banksy was very strong in the air) and Banks tapped him on the ass and said good grab.

1602221277503.png

The same year as Cuthbertson, Allen Jakovich. The guy was a freak, loved watching him. He was 23 years old when Melbourne got him. He kicked over 50 goals in the reserves and then another 71 in the seniors for the year. He only played 40 more games over 4 seasons after that '91 explosion.

1602221560931.png
1602221648964.png

Brad Pearce - Carlton - 1995. Blues picked him up from the Bad News Bears in 1994. He played 2 games for them in 1994 and then in 1995, their premiership team, he played in 23 games and kicked 52.40, he was 24. Injuries and poor form got him then. He had to more seasons of 30+ but his numbers in every category were miles off his '95 numbers. After that premiership season he played another 52 games and was done at 28 years of age. He got to 79 career games and kicked just a shade under 2 goals per game.

He may be the winner. Wow.

In 1997 it seemed like he never missed a shot a goal. Kicked 73 that season and took the Saints to the Grand Final......................Then he literally disappeared.

I used to watch him at Subi and he was a cut above WAFL, it was kind of crazy the Eagles never gave him much of a shot. He kicked 111 goals in the WAFL when he was 21. Very unlucky guy who these days would have probably got a decade to give it a crack at AFL level.

I used to watch him at Subi and he was a cut above WAFL, it was kind of crazy the Eagles never gave him much of a shot. He kicked 111 goals in the WAFL when he was 21. Very unlucky guy who these days would have probably got a decade to give it a crack at AFL level.

He was really fit, could take a contested mark, and kicked straight. I have no idea why he faded out with the Saints in 1998.

Ryan Murphy, although he was more a half-season wonder. Played the latter half of 2006 and was a big part of our team that won 9 in a row and ended up in a prelim. Kicked 22.8 in 12 games as a foil for Pav and made a name for himself as a dead-eye. Kicked a total of 19 goals in the following 4 years and then was gone for good. Kicked 50 goals over a 7-year career and almost half of those came in that 2006 stretch. I'm not sure anyone outside of Freo remembers him.

He's mildly famous on the Adelaide board for kicking your only goal against us in one game (in 2009?) and then being dropped the next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back