Name some players like Jason Heatley (one season wonders)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
He played in the first game of live footy that I ever went to, on a wet, muddy day at Windy Hill. I was only about 4 or 5 but wondered how his glasses didn't fog up.

Just looking at the stats for the match, Blethyn kicked 7.8 and Dougie Wade kicked 5.2 for the Cats. I always thought Blethyn was taller for some reason, Simon Madden size but says he was only 6ft. Kicked 107 for the year and McKenna kicked 130.

Yes, that is why he was so memorable - he wore those black rim glasses. Still I think the only player I ever saw wear glasses on the field.

Adrian McAdam
Brad Pearce
Woewodin

Woewodin's 2003 season at Collingwood was really good. Then his form fell away, again.

Probably the most notable thing he did post 2003 was to be one of 5 Brownlow medallists on field at the same time in 2 matches in 2004. So not much.

Jason Watts kicked 44 goals for Footscray in 1996. For his other 5 years combined he kicked a total of 7 goals.
Votes for J.Watts will not be counted

Commando

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man Utd, AC Milan, Wolfsburg,
Woewodin's 2003 season at Collingwood was really good. Then his form fell away, again.

Probably the most notable thing he did post 2003 was to be one of 5 Brownlow medallists on field at the same time in 2 matches in 2004. So not much.

forgot he even went to Pies
Remember him carving it up in 2000

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Leon Davis was an All Australian in what turned out to be his last year of footy!

I would have loved to seen what was his kicking efficiency that year was, because he was as precise as anyone coming out of the backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
rhys palmer

i still remember freo fans en masse spouting he was going to be better than Judd and Cousins

lullzz

Troy Wilson. Not real bright but could lift heavy things.

could run in straight lines

haven’t seen someone split a pack like him since

Think he took out both kosi and Riewoldt in their first game to two

Twas modestly talented and used what skills he had

Never had a “stellar” year though like Heatley

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Brad Pearce - Carlton - 1995. Blues picked him up from the Bad News Bears in 1994. He played 2 games for them in 1994 and then in 1995, their premiership team, he played in 23 games and kicked 52.40, he was 24. Injuries and poor form got him then. He had to more seasons of 30+ but his numbers in every category were miles off his '95 numbers. After that premiership season he played another 52 games and was done at 28 years of age. He got to 79 career games and kicked just a shade under 2 goals per game.

View attachment 981178

Darren Cuthberston - Melbourne - 1991, not even a season, 4 games. Was marking everything and kicking bags. 32 games in 3 seasons and he was done at 23 years of age. I'll always remember him taking a big grab over Dennis Banks (Banksy was very strong in the air) and Banks tapped him on the ass and said good grab.

View attachment 981184

The same year as Cuthbertson, Allen Jakovich. The guy was a freak, loved watching him. He was 23 years old when Melbourne got him. He kicked over 50 goals in the reserves and then another 71 in the seniors for the year. He only played 40 more games over 4 seasons after that '91 explosion.

View attachment 981190
View attachment 981194

Alan Jacovich. The greatest dynamic dangerously gifted forward that never was...unfortunately.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
Alan Jacovich. The greatest dynamic dangerously gifted forward that never was...unfortunately.
Schwartz went as far to say he was as talented as G.Ablett Snr just recently, the league seriously missed out with him not sticking around.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Chris Knights kicked 43 goals in 2009. Only got double digits in one other season.
Chris Knights was another solid player from the Neil Craig era wasnt he?

Another 2 blokes I could think of was Bernie Vince and Trent Hentchel.

Trent Hentschel Kicked 94 goals from 71 games. Kicked 43 goals and 23 behinds in 2006. He got injured late in the season vs Port. Crows struggled with an average forward line in 2006, despite getting top 2. His next best was 26 goals.

Bernie Vinces best year was 2009 I think. The year he won the Best and fairest for the crows.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

Hird destroyed his entire career in the 2000 GF and relegated him into history as forever just a “ good ordinary player”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back