Name some players like Jason Heatley (one season wonders)

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Disagree with that. VicBias runs strong here on this.

Paul Medhurst kicks 50 goals for freo in 2003 and plays finals for freo. He doesnt get a look at the AA selection.

Kicks 50 goals for collingwood in 2008 and plays finals: get AA selection

Vicbias blah blah blah blah .
Small man syndrome.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
ha! Proof that umpires have NFI
Can't believe I'm doing this...

Woewodin actually had a ******* good year.

3 votes x 4
R2 v North (OK, this is an odd one): 19 touches (8th highest of any player), 5 marks, 4 I50s
R6 v Geelong: 28 touches (highest of any player), 6 marks, 5 tackles, 1 goal, 5 clearances
R8 v Port: 33 touches (highest of any player), 8 marks, 2 goals, 6 clearances
R21 v Geelong: 35 touches (highest of any player), 4 goals, 7 I50s, 11 Clearances

2 votes x 5
R3 v Sydney: 31 touches (highest of any player), 2 marks, 2 goals, 8 I50s, 9 clearances
R4 v Saints: 29 touches (2nd highest behind R Harvey, but Dees win by 90 points), 7 marks, 3 clearances, 4 I50s, 1 goal 3 behinds
R5 v Freo: 33 touches (highest of any player), 7 marks, 7 I50s
R17 v North: 23 touches (4th highest), 5 marks, 3 goals, 6 I50s, 6 clearances
R22 v Eagles (might have got lucky here, too, but Dees win by 70 points): 17 touches (15th highest), 3 marks, 5 tackles (2nd highest), 6 I50s, 6 clearances

1 vote x 2
R12 v Bulldogs: 22 touches (6th highest), 5 tackles, 4 I50s, 4 clearances
R18 v Sydney: 25 touches (3rd highest), 5 marks, 3 goals, 7 I50s, 5 clearances

You can certainly pick a few odd ones out but you can do that for anyone. Not saying he deserved it more than anyone else that year (you'd have to watch every single game of the season to decide that). But we rag on his Brownlow out of habit rather than just acknowledging he had one for the ages, and fair play to him.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Woewodin actually had a ******* good year.

people love to rag on the brownlow but its actually super rare the best player for the year doesn't win.

Woewodin was a flash in the pan (and most likely chemically enhanced) but he had an amazing year. And so did the Dees that year which is super important.

You look at the AA this year and at least 3 blokes are there on reputation and they think the brownlow is bad? lol

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
people love to rag on the brownlow but its actually super rare the best player for the year doesn't win.

Woewodin was a flash in the pan (and most likely chemically enhanced) but he had an amazing year. And so did the Dees that year which is super important.

You look at the AA this year and at least 3 blokes are there on reputation and they think the brownlow is bad? lol

I still think it’s more so super rare that the best midfielder doesn’t win. I see your point but it simply doesn’t add up. While he probably wouldn’t have been better than Ablett, you could easily make a case that in a lot of our golden years Matthew Scarlett was in the top 3-5 players in the competition.

In fact another of our players in Enright won two best and fairests in flag years. Between them they’d have hardly scratched up a vote

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Just because he shared the Weapon's "Hero Wall" with James Hird and the Geelong Football Club doesn't mean you can say that. Hird was the first athlete to successfully recover from his foot injury, and Geelong....well they went from average size to bigger, faster, stronger for longer than anyone else in one season too.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Just because he shared the Weapon's "Hero Wall" with James Hird and the Geelong Football Club doesn't mean you can say that. Hird was the first athlete to successfully recover from his foot injury, and Geelong....well they went from average size to bigger, faster, stronger for longer than anyone else in one season too.

No we didn’t. We didn’t bash anyone and we didn’t run anyone off their feet. We moved the ball fast and defended better than just about any team before us.

We’d made a prelim 4 seasons earlier and should have made another in 2005 before nick Davis came along.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

lol.

the AFL weren't even testing people for EPO until 2005. Seriously. 2005. The chances of anyone in the top players in the league not on EPO from mid 90s to 00s is basically zero.

Hot Diggity

All Australian
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Super rare??? Explain how Dunstall didn't win in 1988. 1989 and 19992. Explain how Carey never won it. Explain how Gary Ablett never won it. Explain how Rance never won it. Explain how Greg Williams didn't win it in 1993 ahead of Wanganeen. Explain how Buddy din't win it in 2008 ahead of Cooney.

It's voted for by umpires. They can't even adjudicate the game on a weekly basis.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
lol.

the AFL weren't even testing people for EPO until 2005. Seriously. 2005. The chances of anyone in the top players in the league not on EPO from mid 90s to 00s is basically zero.

Hawthorn's worst ever premiership drought coincided with the same period 91-2008. Must have been because everyone else was cheating.

Once the drugs wore off, Hawthorn went back to their domination of the league. And to think, all this time I thought it was just Clarko and Hodge/Mitchell/Buddy/Cyril/Gibson/etc.

Hawthorn's worst ever premiership drought coincided with the same period 91-2008. Must have been because everyone else was cheating.

Once the drugs wore off, Hawthorn went back to their domination of the league. And to think, all this time I thought it was just Clarko and Hodge/Mitchell/Buddy/Cyril/Gibson/etc.

Hawk's probably misread the memo and were stuck taking recreational drugs.

Hird destroyed his entire career in the 2000 GF and relegated him into history as forever just a “ good ordinary player”.
Is there no end to the list of players that have had their careers destroyed by James Hird?

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

running an industrial level drugs program is actually very expensive. Hawks have always been pretty skint so it does kind of make sense they fell off the pace to some extent.

its no secret brisbane were pushing the boundaries during their three peat.

Mudman85

All Australian
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Matt Connell played 3 games at West Coast in 2 seasons before winning b&f at the Crows in his first season there.

1995 he had 481 disposals. His next best over 6 seasons at the Crows was 319

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Don't know if he has been mentioned but surely Geoff Blethyn owns this thread?

In and out of team and first 4 years kicks 1/12/33/21. Then kicks 107. Then goes back to 30 the following year then never plays again.

So he goes 1/12/33/21/107/30.

After he kicked 107 he went and played for Claremont. He was only 22 as well. He kicked 71 for Claremont in his first year but never really got near those numbers again.

We did get Graham Moss from Claremont in 1973 though. In four years he won three B&Fs and a Brownlow, then returned to Perth.

legsdiamond

Draftee
Jan 3, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
For old timers:Gordon Collis won the Brownlow in 1964 with 27 votes.Geoff Blethyn kicked 107 goals in 1972,his other 61 games produced 109 goals.Sam Kekovich kicked 56 goals in 16 games and won his club B/F in 1969,did his knee and was erratic after that.

Last edited:
In 1997 it seemed like he never missed a shot a goal. Kicked 73 that season and took the Saints to the Grand Final......................Then he literally disappeared.

Update: It's been pointed out in the thread that he kicked 48 goals the next season. If you are reading this Jason; my apologies.
Got his arse handed to him by Paul Mifka in the 1995 WAFL Grand Final.

He was supposed to kick 10 goals in that game but did SFA.

Good times.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Brad Pearce - Carlton - 1995. Blues picked him up from the Bad News Bears in 1994. He played 2 games for them in 1994 and then in 1995, their premiership team, he played in 23 games and kicked 52.40, he was 24. Injuries and poor form got him then. He had to more seasons of 30+ but his numbers in every category were miles off his '95 numbers. After that premiership season he played another 52 games and was done at 28 years of age. He got to 79 career games and kicked just a shade under 2 goals per game.

View attachment 981178

Darren Cuthberston - Melbourne - 1991, not even a season, 4 games. Was marking everything and kicking bags. 32 games in 3 seasons and he was done at 23 years of age. I'll always remember him taking a big grab over Dennis Banks (Banksy was very strong in the air) and Banks tapped him on the ass and said good grab.

View attachment 981184

The same year as Cuthbertson, Allen Jakovich. The guy was a freak, loved watching him. He was 23 years old when Melbourne got him. He kicked over 50 goals in the reserves and then another 71 in the seniors for the year. He only played 40 more games over 4 seasons after that '91 explosion.

View attachment 981190
View attachment 981194

Not sure you could classify Jakovich as a one year wonder.
Certainly one of the most gifted footballers ever.

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Jordan de Goey

Super rare??? Explain how Dunstall didn't win in 1988. 1989 and 19992. Explain how Carey never won it. Explain how Gary Ablett never won it. Explain how Rance never won it. Explain how Greg Williams didn't win it in 1993 ahead of Wanganeen. Explain how Buddy din't win it in 2008 ahead of Cooney.

It's voted for by umpires. They can't even adjudicate the game on a weekly basis.
Buddy's 2008 season reputation has increased a lot with history lol. At the time Gary Ablett Jr was considered the best player in the league by a long way.

Looking back with the decrease in goalkicking in the modern era it looks a big outlier, but at the time he wasn't viewed as being near Ablett's level.

Jul 27, 2006
2 towns over
AFL Club
Geelong
Prowess not for an entire season but the first 50% of one. I wrote this about Josh Caddy in another thread -

His 2018 season has to be one of the most utterly bizarre ever.

At the midpoint of the H&A he was an AA certainty and legitimate potential Colemanist with a probable B&F podium finish but a few weeks later he was playing as poorly as you can without getting dropped.

He pulled an Adrian McAdam but instead of the entire year it was just the first half of the season. I’d love to see his B&F votes for the first half of that year versus the second half. I can totally see a young player doing this but I can’t recall a more unbalanced output from an established player; outside of those dudes who are obviously playing injured.

Back