Name top 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris judd
Chris grant
Chris tarrant
Chris mainwaring
Chris johnson

Don't think Chris Tarrant should be top 3. Good, versatile player - decent forward (managed a 40 goal season twice in his career) and made a good switch to full back late in his career. Did accomplish one AA (which I think was pretty fortunate given he kicked 47 goals during the season and 4 players who kicked 60+ missed out).

Chris Johnson was a dual All Australian, 3 time premiership star back pocket who co-captained the lions.
Chris Mainwaring was a dual All Australian, dual premiership winning elite winger who was named opposite Matera in the all time West Coast team. He finished top 3 in the B&F 5 times in those great Weagles teams.
Chris Langford was a star full back, who was AA equivalent 4 times, was FB in 4 flags, named in the Hawks TOTC and won the Whitten Medal (for best player in the state games) twice.
Chris Mew was one of the first picked (at CHB) in the great Hawks team of the 80's, winning 5 flags. He was named ahead of Peter Knights at CHB in the Hawks TOTC.

Alex:

Jesaulenko
Rance
Marcou
Sexton
Neal-Bullen

HM: played >100 games, Ishchenko, Pearce, Fasolo, Witherden, Ruscuklic ( Fitzroy 1960’s-70’s)

An older one I'm guessing you are not aware of is Alexander (Alec) Albiston.

He was Hawthorn's first gun rover in the 1940's. He won the Hawthorn best and fairest twice, was our first player to kick 10 goals in a game (from rover), led the Hawthorn goalkicking 5 times and ended up with 383 goals (as a rover) in 177 games. He captain coached the club for 5 years. He was a fitness freak who never missed a game due to injury but missed some of his peak years due to serving in the Air Force in WW2 and another season due to an argument with his brother (who was on the Hawthorn committee). He is in the Hawthorn Hall of Fame.

I reckon he gets in ahead of Alex Neal-Bullen.

Don't think Chris Tarrant should be top 3. Good, versatile player - decent forward (managed a 40 goal season twice in his career) and made a good switch to full back late in his career. Did accomplish one AA (which I think was pretty fortunate given he kicked 47 goals during the season and 4 players who kicked 60+ missed out).

Chris Johnson was a dual All Australian, 3 time premiership star back pocket who co-captained the lions.
Chris Mainwaring was a dual All Australian, dual premiership winning elite winger who was named opposite Matera in the all time West Coast team. He finished top 3 in the B&F 5 times in those great Weagles teams.
Chris Langford was a star full back, who was AA equivalent 4 times, was FB in 4 flags, named in the Hawks TOTC and won the Whitten Medal (for best player in the state games) twice.
Chris Mew was one of the first picked (at CHB) in the great Hawks team of the 80's, winning 5 flags. He was named ahead of Peter Knights at CHB in the Hawks TOTC.

Not in any particular order just a bunch of blokes called Chris.

100% right about LAngford and Mew. If you had to pick one who would it be?

Had to sneak a Pie in there and it was either Taz or Dawes (sorry Mayney).

I forgot about Chris Lewis as well.

David Neitz
David Dench
David Schwarz
David Mundy
David Wirrpanda

Not in any particular order just a bunch of blokes called Chris.

100% right about LAngford and Mew. If you had to pick one who would it be?

Had to sneak a Pie in there and it was either Taz or Dawes (sorry Mayney).

I forgot about Chris Lewis as well.

Mew was Mr Dependable but I'd pick Langford on talent. Often had the better of the game's best full forwards (Lockett, Ablett, Longmire, etc, etc) and would be in the top handful of best full backs of all time (with Scarlett, Rance, Dench, Silvagni, Reagen, Southby and Moore). I'd have him at 2 behind only Judd (and just ahead of Grant).

Tarrant definitely the best of the Pie options. I remembered Chris Lewis but he wouldn't be in that top 5 so didn't mention him.

Yes I agree with this also Chris Lewis was a jet.

They call me Phil.

Phil Carman
Phil Matera
Phil Krakouer
Phil Davis

Surely there's a few more Phil's who played VFL/AFL?

There have been 91 Phil's play at the highest level.

You have captured the biggest names. A few of the 'cult' heroes include Phil Manassa (famous for THAT run in the '77 GF), Phil Narkle (famous for wearing a stackhat on field) and Phil Walsh (part of the Richmond/Collingwood trade war of the 80's and inaugural winner of the Brisbane Bears BnF).

P.S Do Richmond fans remember Phil Egan? I remember watching a game where he sat on people's heads and kicked 7 goals. Looked him up the following week to see he had kicked 7 again (had to double check this now). Thought he was going to be a superstar but it never really panned out that way.

Last edited:
Jarryd Roughead
Jarrad McVeigh
Jared Crouch
Jarrad Waite
Jarrod Harbrow

All these spellings have left me jarred...

Robert/Rob

1- Robert Harvey
2- Robert Flower
3- Robert Dipermenico
4- Robert Walls
5- Robert Murphy

HM- Robert Riley, Robert Rose

Gary/Garry

1- Gary Ablett snr
2- Gary Ablett jnr
3- Gary Dempsey
4- Gary Hocking
5- Gary Ayers

Hm- Gary Buckrenara Garry Lyon

Tony/Anthony

1- Tony Lockett
2- Tony Liberatore
3- Tony Modra
4- Tony Shaw
5- Anthony Koutifides

HM- Anthony Rocca , Anthony Mcdonald- T, Tony McGuinness
I think Bobby Skilton was a fair player - not in the top 5?

I think Bobby Skilton was a fair player - not in the top 5?

Straight to number 1. Bob Rose (Snr) also must be included in the top 4 (after Harvey and Flower).

Edit: Bob Davis also has to be very close (gun in the 50's and named at half forward in the Geelong TOTC). Bob Keddie also deserves an honourable mention IMO. Won the Hawthorn B&F multiple times, was AA in the Carnival era, won us the '71 Flag, etc.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back