Prediction Name your three players to watch this season - break out candidates

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Every year a few players come from seemingly nowhere to break into the best 22 and announce themselves to the greater league as bonafide players. Or explode from a foot soldier to a star. Some we see coming from the inside but its a complete shock to the greater football community. Some come as a complete shock even to us..

Last year we probably had Ridley and Draper explode onto the football world as players of note

How about this year? who do you think will break out or announce themselves on the main stage?

I reckon Ham is well placed to establish himself as best 22 and a player to watch. Seems to have built an adults body, still has speed to burn and knows where to be to get the pill. Think hes a good kid going places.

Langford - strange one as hes already a solid citizen but i reckon hes got another level to go, possibly into AA squad discussions. Is about to fulfill all the promise that we have been waiting for. Big body, smooth mover, time in traffic, great disposal, great hands above his head. A real package. Watch out league.

Harry Jones seemed to go from spindly kid to man overnight, seems to have the body to make his mark this year, perfectly timed with our dearth of forwards i expect him to establish himself as a hard running forward who gets up and down the ground and has a knack for taking a grab and kicking a goal or two a game and have people round the comp say harry who?

who are you players to watch?

Agree on Langford. All the training reports are glowing. Hopefully it translates to on field.

Cahill looks like he's doing everything right to become an AFL player. I like that he's prepared to retrain as a small back to help the team. Training with McGrath is also a smart choice.

Also going to back in Francis. Sounds like he's doing a lot of work on his fitness. It also sounds like the coaches are trying to get him to be more attacking, sort of like the role Hurley was playing the last few years.

Last edited:

Ariel Steinberg

Kyle Langford - Could be a deadset star come end of the year. Honestly should be in the leadership group IMO.

Ned Cahill - Whatever 'it' is that star players have, that thing you can see but can't define, he has it.

Harry Jones - Me likey.

Kyle Langford - Could be a deadset star come end of the year. Honestly should be in the leadership group IMO.

Ned Cahill - Whatever 'it' is that star players have, that thing you can see but can't define, he has it.

Harry Jones - Me likey.

Yep I see the thing with Cahill, I think it's swagger or spunk. Old mate Perkins has a fair slice of if too

Caldwell: Will overtake Shiel by years end and be a starting onballer. Physical, good skills, looks to be a pretty exciting package.
Francis: If allowed to play his natural, zone off roll, Aaron can be in AA calculations by years end.
Redman: Will be the player opposition supporters love to hate. Composure, skills and explosiveness will be back in 2021.

Caldwell: Will overtake Shiel by years end and be a starting onballer. Physical, good skills, looks to be a pretty exciting package.
Francis: If allowed to play his natural, zone off roll, Aaron can be in AA calculations by years end.
Redman: Will be the player opposition supporters love to hate. Composure, skills and explosiveness will be back in 2021.

from what ive seen it looks like redman might be over whatever was troubling him last year - bodes well.

Frang i dunno, the zone off role is taken by a gun in Ridley, he needs to adapt or perish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from what ive seen it looks like redman might be over whatever was troubling him last year - bodes well.

Frang i dunno, the zone off role is taken by a gun in Ridley, he needs to adapt or perish
Went off with a calf issue yesterday though :huh:

Draper - you could say he broke out last year but I think he'll go from an oversized over-enthusiastic colt to a full on stallion.

Caldwell - a young player not being able to break into the GWS midfield doesn't mean the player isn't any good. I have only read reports on his preseason and seen limited vision but form both it seems he moves well in traffic and doesn't get flustered, something we need.

Jones - I always have a thing for young developing forwards. They're the talisman for every team, get a young quality KPF and everything seems better. This is more me wanting him to break out than strongly believing he will, but the preseason reports have been very good. The sooner he comes good, the sooner we say Joe Who?

My entirely realistic breakout projections;

#3. Aaron Francis - Will get to play in a more suitable role, and we'll regularly see him tearing up games from the back half kicking bullets through the opposition forward press.

#2. Kyle Langford - Will have the last laugh against all those doubters who thought his wanting to play like Fyfe comment was fantasy. Will be our #3 Brownlow vote getter behind Shiel & Merrett.

#1. Peter Wright - Will finally be recognised as the star FF he could be with a Top-5 finish in the Coleman, ahead of Daniher.

Langford's break out season was 2019 IMO. For me:

1. Aaron Francis - I think last year was important for his development, playing a more defensive role so now he can be that intercept type whilst still beating his opponent. I know people complained about it because it wasn't producing the results we wanted then, but he will now.

2. Harrison Jones - With our injuries I think he'll be starting as a key forward, and I think his skillset compliments Wright and Stringer perfectly (if/when Stringer gets back).

3. Mason Redman - I know he "broke out" a couple of years ago but he hasn't been consistent so I'm looking at him at becoming a good half back flanker with his skills and speed this season

If I can only pick three -

Langford - Already had a bit of a breakout year last season. Sounds like he has had a huge preseason and could very well end up becoming our best player.

Jones - I have seriously high hopes for this kid. I see no reason why he shouldn’t be playing round 1 and he should be able to have an immediate impact.

Cahill - Seems an extremely hard worker. I reckon he can become a regular best 22 player at least.

HM - Caldwell sounds like he is set to explode. If you consider Langford as already having ”broken out” than this is my third pick.

Also think Redman gets back to 2019 form.

Hmmm, the dark side clouds everything right now, very hard to see the future it is. Split prediction into two groups I must.

1st or 2nd year players for the club
1. Caldwell - shows grunt where others his size have failed. True mid bull he is, the ox may not be huge but he is strong!
2. Cox - future star he is, 2021 will excite but much to learn he has. Help Essington win a premiership one day, he will.
3. Cahill - neat with the Sherrin you are, x factor you have, trust your feelings you should. BUT when you face the dark side, careful you must be. For the dark side looks back.

Established Essington players (Best 22) taking it to the next level
1. McGrath - embrace the force Andy, become the elite player you are destined to be.
2. Langford - Brownlow votes or failure I see, there is no in between. Kyle, train yourself to let go, of everything you fear to lose. Fyfe like you must be.
3. BSD - yes yes, technically a 2nd year player but established / best 22 already. Big Sam, control control, you must learn control! AFL Top 3 ruckman destiny awaits you.

Honorable mentions
Ham - winning own contested ball, run and carry hard you will.
Wright - kick goals you will, but if not then bring ball to ground you must! Trust Walla, Smith & Snelling - use the force to weave magic in front of goal, they can
Jones - transform the boy into a man, they must.
Heppell - yes, yes, steady the backline hmmm (pondering), best season in years you will have.

Advice for the players:
1. Remember past greats of the club who bind us and the Essington force together, as one.
2. Try not! Do or do not, there is no try.
3. If no mistake you have made, losing you are. A different game you should play!

Hmmm, the dark side clouds everything right now, very hard to see the future it is. Split prediction into two groups I must.

1st or 2nd year players for the club
1. Caldwell - shows grunt where others his size have failed. True mid bull he is, the ox may not be huge but he is strong!
2. Cox - future star he is, 2021 will excite but much to learn he has. Help Essington win a premiership one day, he will.
3. Cahill - neat with the Sherrin you are, x factor you have, trust your feelings you should. BUT when you face the dark side, careful you must be. For the dark side looks back.

Established Essington players (Best 22) taking it to the next level
1. McGrath - embrace the force Andy, become the elite player you are destined to be.
2. Langford - Brownlow votes or failure I see, there is no in between. Kyle, train yourself to let go, of everything you fear to lose. Fyfe like you must be.
3. BSD - yes yes, technically a 2nd year player but established / best 22 already. Big Sam, control control, you must learn control! AFL Top 3 ruckman destiny awaits you.

Honorable mentions
Ham - winning own contested ball, run and carry hard you will.
Wright - kick goals you will, but if not then bring ball to ground you must! Trust Walla, Smith & Snelling - use the force to weave magic in front of goal, they can
Jones - transform the boy into a man, they must.
Heppell - yes, yes, steady the backline hmmm (pondering), best season in years you will have.

Advice for the players:
1. Remember past greats of the club who bind us and the Essington force together, as one.
2. Try not! Do or do not, there is no try.
3. If no mistake you have made, losing you are. A different game you should play!

...you ask the impossible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back