Universal Love Name your top 3

Remove this Banner Ad

1) Tim Watson. If you were around, you'd know why...but Tim was something else. How many Brownlow Medal favourites were 18 when the season started?
2) Leon Baker. Highly rated by my No.1 choice. Had he started playing at 17-18 (bad luck for Melbourne FC), he would be an all time great. Not quick, but super reflexes, two footed to the point that you couldn't tell which was his natural, and tough as nails. No nonsense. Fans of this generation would LOVE him.
3) Really tough one. I will go with Bill Duckworth. Mad as a hatter, but essential in bringing us a flag in 84.

Edited to add...Hird, Vanders, Roger Merrett, Jobe, Madden...so many could be in this, I'd nearly need to do a top 50.

1. I would have to go with Jimmy Hird. This guy seemed to be playing in a different dimension when he had the ball, so much time to do what he wanted.
2. Big Simon Madden. I was 6 foot at 15 and was assigned the duties of playing the solo ruckman for the next 3 years. (Thats not tall by todays standards, but back in the early 80's it was) Tried to model my game around him, failed miserably, but I tried.
3. This is a hard one and even after a few days of thinking about it, I still don't know the answer. Toss up between so many players. Billy Duckworth, Leon Baker, TD, Timmy, Neagle (Not Jay🤪), Vanders (so many attempted screamers whilst calling out his name at the park) Mercuri, Long, Bewick, Lloyd, Fletch, plus a few more who I would have forgotten due to faded memories.

1. Hirdy. Just found the footy and made others lift and play better when he was in the team. Great leader. Inspirational. So many times after a close game the discussion with Dad was "we would have been stuffed without Jimmy today/this arvo/tonight".

2. Timmy. Debut at 15......15! Was a joy to watch dashing along the wings of Windy Hill. Great player and captain. Even at the end of his career in his early 30s he was still "Timmy" to the Bomber faithful.

3. Mercs. The silky skills. The poise. Never wasted a possession. The vision. The score involvements. The link play. Read the play i think better then anyone. Made and found space when there was none. Hair was never out of place.

1. Hird - best I’ve seen play for the club - and I’m 47

2. Long - cut down too soon by injury but some unbelievable games I was blessed to see

3. Van Der Haar - great mark and loved his laconic attitude

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. Jack Clarke - Great player and an extraordinary leader of men. Often pulled games out of the fire for the Bombers.

2. Simon Madden - Still the best Ruckman I have seen (Except maybe Brodie Grundy at the end of his career)

3. Hugh Mitchell / Leon Baker - Very similar in that they were both very hard to contain (Will never know how good Baker could have been if he'd played longer)

1.S. Madden, he was either stopping a goal down back, setting one up in the middle or kicking one himself. He would then find time to sit on someone's head.
2. Merv Neagle, class with a touch of nastiness.
3. I'm going current with pick 3 and splitting it with Devon and Jakey Stringer, they give us much needed swagger.

My 3 are definitely Fletcher, Hirdy and Jobe... but that’s boring, so I’ll go my next 3:

- Caracella
- JJ
- Longy

1. Hird - Just because
2. Mercuri - See highlights reel. Skills and vision were sublime, in particular 1999.
3. Leon Baker - We didn't get to see enough of this guy. 2nd in B&F for both the the 84 & 85 premierships, which were his first 2 years at EFC

Honorable mentions to Long, Lloyd, TD, Vanders and Madden also

1) James Hird He's the earliest player i remember idolising. Around '92 i really got into footy and essendon. He was one of many faves at that time. Amongst many greats - Madden, Mercuri, Wanganeen, G'OD, Bomber, Fish, Longy, Bewick.
In the top 5 players i've seen over that time.

2) Mark Mercuri Up there as one of the best players i've seen not win a brownlow, and stands out that he didn't win one alongside the other two on my list

3) Gavin Wanganeen Nudges out Lloyd, Madden, Fish, Jobe & Zachy. Same bucket as Hird (minus the top 5 comment). I have never been shattered to lose a player so much and doubt i would be again (maybe if Zachy left).

less obvious top 3
Jason Johnson. Criminally unsung in that 99-01 era.
Jason Winderlich. This kid had skill. and was tough as nails. If i could reverse the injuries any one of our players had to allow them free reign at a career, he'd be top of the list (Pears closely behind)
Zach Merrett. Early days but i love this kid. I wish he was captain. despite whatever reasons he isn't. He embodies what i want this club to be. Guys like him, Dev, Greene@GWS - they remind me so much of the 2000 EFC side.

Forgot Cara and Fletch too. :(
Surely a top 10 is better

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a token nod to modesty I’ll leave myself out...you all know I was the king.

1) Mercs. Tell me what he couldn’t do? At his best, the cleanest footballer I think I’ve ever seen.

2)Hird.Weirdly brilliant....not that polished in some ways, extraordinarily skilled in others. Balance and composure like nobody else, superb overhead when young and all heart.

3) Longy. When he first arrived and weighed about 70kg he was the quickest thing I’ve ever seen on a footy field. Played a different game with his deft touches and crazy vision.

Special mentions to Wanga,Fletch, Harvey, TD and Tippa.

In a token nod to modesty I’ll leave myself out...you all know I was the king.

1) Mercs. Tell me what he couldn’t do? At his best, the cleanest footballer I think I’ve ever seen.

2)Hird.Weirdly brilliant....not that polished in some ways, extraordinarily skilled in others. Balance and composure like nobody else, superb overhead when young and all heart.

3) Longy. When he first arrived and weighed about 70kg he was the quickest thing I’ve ever seen on a footy field. Played a different game with his deft touches and crazy vision.

Special mentions to Wanga,Fletch, Harvey, TD and Tippa.

70kg's is being generous, without a doubt..!
He was SUPER quick.

1) James Hird.
Skilful courageous, had all the time in he world

2) Simon Madden.
Best rap ruckman ever who happened to kick almost 600 goals

3) Dustin Fletcher.
B and f in best season of all time says it all.
Could do it all

Since this is favourite players, not best, I'll pick:

1. Paul Van Der Haar. I grew up in the 80s and have fond memories of Vanders going up for marks and the commentator screaming "Van Der Haaaaaar!"

2. Michael Long. Brilliant performance in '93 grand final.

3. McDonald-Tipungwuti. Excitement machine and a great bloke.

Agree with that. And funnily enough...Wanganeen beat him one year over 100m.
Think Fletch beat both of them later on....or am a making that up?

Thing about Longy was that he went from zero to a Hundred so quickly.....from a footy perspective he was definitely quicker than Wanga.

Thing about Longy was that he went from zero to a Hundred so quickly.....from a footy perspective he was definitely quicker than Wanga.
Some blokes look quick on the football field but are actually not that quick athletically whereas other players which you wouldn't think as being quick are actually gifted athletes. Its really how you use your pace and Long used his perfectly.

In no particular order and because there are so many players I've loved watching;

Scott Lucas: there was a time when it didn't seem to matter where Lucas collected the ball, he could swing around onto his left and nail it. He was rugged as a forward as well. I remember towards the end of his career that elbow ( I think it was) looking more and more feral each week.

Jobe Watson: I feel like I'm saying this only because I was too stoned to remember Mark Johnson, but Jobe's growth during his time was a pleasure to watch. In beastmode he was brilliant (god I hope Hibberd progresses!), but I remember him in a one-on-one with Plowman when he was a Giants youngster, and Jobe playing with a ground ball and making Plowman look silly. IIRC he was also having a laugh as he won the ball.

Heath Hocking/Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti: I watched a lot of rugby league growing up and Hocking has traits that I think were very familiar to me. Fearless at the contest, a team man and a decent burst of pace. I was sad when Buddha retired.
Walla is amazingly clean with the ball. I always feel comfortable when I know he's near the ball, and when he takes possession he's actually thrilling to watch. I don't remember much of Dean Rioli but I'd be interested to know how people think they compare.

1. Hird
2. Terry Daniher
3. Mark Harvey

I have heard the Fletcher story, but I am not sure if it is real or an urban legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back