Name your top 5 players of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Lockett - Most goals of all-time
2. Harvey - Most disposals/Brownlow votes
3. Riewoldt - Most marks of all-time
4. Hayes - Most career tackles & Norm Smith medalist
5. Milne - Best small forward of all-time

Anyone listing Dunstall, Hird, Buckley, Voss, Goodes or Judd over these guys obviously haven't seen them play. Dunstall did nothing but mark and goal compared to Plugger, Hird isn't even coaching this year, Buckley never won a premiership, and Goodes was lucky to win two brownlows, and is elevated due to his racial vilification. Not even in the top 3 Swans forwards), Voss couldn't coach and was in a good team for his premierships, and Judd has done nothing since his WC days. Not saying they're not all decent players, just not top 5 material.

Never saw Leigh Matthews play, but can't imagine he would have been all that good. Definitely not top 5 material anyway. Shoulda named the AFL MVP over someone like Lockett, who has way more goals than Matthews.

Carey and the Abletts I can understand. Daryl Baldock, Ted Whitten, Ian Stewart, Kevin Sheedy, Trevor Barker, Billy Brownless, Stewie Loewe (2nd most marks of all-time), Nicky Winmar (Michael Tuck medalist), Nathan Burke (best Saints captain of all-time), John Longmire, Crawf, Lloydy, Scott West, Nigel Lappin, Richo, G-Train (100 goals in a season), Brendan Goddard (best player of past 2 years), Nick Dal Santo, Leigh Montana and Buddy are close, and all top 20 for mine.
I had a huge post written out refuting all of this, but it's just dawned on me that nearly all of those named are Saints players.

Poor troll, 8/10 for effort, 2/10 for execution.

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You already posted your top 5. Bunton seems to have slipped a place in favor of Carey. His recent media work helped bump him up a place has it?

No, it probably just indicates that it's very close with those two and could go either way.

Leigh Matthews is a lock at No.1, of course, but apart from that, it's almost throw a blanket over a few.

Bailey01

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Tennis
Is there any footage of Lethal I can watch? I wasn't fortunate enough to be alive in his playing career.

shaqsuns

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
Is there any footage of Lethal I can watch? I wasn't fortunate enough to be alive in his playing career.
yes but you can only really watch his footage when his career was in decline, unfortunately you only get snippets of his best work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frez87

Debutant
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors, Lakers
Gary Ablett Jnr
Gary Ablett Snr
Dunstall
Lockett
Matthews

Apr 30, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
MUFC, Golden State Warriors
Without ordering them my top four is fairly easy to pick. Gary Ablett Junior, Wayne Carey, Leigh Matthews, Barrie Robran. There are a multitude of quality players that could grab that last spot which is hard to make a call on.

Probably one of Dunstall, Lockett or Ablett Snr. Surprised to see no one putting Greg Williams in theirs. He is not far off IMO.

eaglesfan99

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
warriors
Can't believe amount of people putting judd, Ablett only currnet player that gets close.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers

speedybundy

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
1. Lockett - Most goals of all-time
2. Harvey - Most disposals/Brownlow votes
3. Riewoldt - Most marks of all-time
4. Hayes - Most career tackles & Norm Smith medalist
5. Milne - Best small forward of all-time

Anyone listing Dunstall, Hird, Buckley, Voss, Goodes or Judd over these guys obviously haven't seen them play. Dunstall did nothing but mark and goal compared to Plugger, Hird isn't even coaching this year, Buckley never won a premiership, and Goodes was lucky to win two brownlows, and is elevated due to his racial vilification. Not even in the top 3 Swans forwards), Voss couldn't coach and was in a good team for his premierships, and Judd has done nothing since his WC days. Not saying they're not all decent players, just not top 5 material.

Never saw Leigh Matthews play, but can't imagine he would have been all that good. Definitely not top 5 material anyway. Shoulda named the AFL MVP over someone like Lockett, who has way more goals than Matthews.

Carey and the Abletts I can understand. Daryl Baldock, Ted Whitten, Ian Stewart, Kevin Sheedy, Trevor Barker, Billy Brownless, Stewie Loewe (2nd most marks of all-time), Nicky Winmar (Michael Tuck medalist), Nathan Burke (best Saints captain of all-time), John Longmire, Crawf, Lloydy, Scott West, Nigel Lappin, Richo, G-Train (100 goals in a season), Brendan Goddard (best player of past 2 years), Nick Dal Santo, Leigh Montana and Buddy are close, and all top 20 for mine.
So going purely off stats, not going to bother watching any of them play. How is Hird's coaching relevant to if his a great player also?

This has to be a troll of a post, Riewoldt's the only one from that group who's in the top 5 since 2000

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Who are your top 5 players, from anyside, you've witnessed and seen in your time? I'm not asking about players before you were born. Who are the players that have made you take notice the most.

I was born in 72 so I've been watching footy since prob. 75 onwards -

1. Alex Jesaulenko
2. Gary Ablett senior
3. Robert Flower
4. Leigh Matthews
5. Michael Voss

Blight and Doull just miss out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back