Remove this Banner Ad

I'm 44.

Ive seen plenty of good players;

1. Ablett Snr
2. Lockett
3. Carey
4. Ablett Jnr
5. Dad

Cable, Michael, Dunstall, Matthews, Judd, Williams, Rioli, Cousins, Matera,.......
Who is your dad?

He's a 70 year old who was a lot better at footy then me. Who's yours?
Mine was a great dad, but never played footy, so I wouldn't rate him on this, but glad yours was that good.
Mine was a serious question, thought you might have been son of a gun, and glad to read that you are.

KevinTaylor

Senior List
Dec 20, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Mine was a great dad, but never played footy, so I wouldn't rate him on this, but glad yours was that good.
Mine was a serious question, thought you might have been son of a gun, and glad to read that you are.
Mine was an average Dad who was good at footy but only on the list due to my bias.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Matthews
Ablett Snr
Ablett Jnr
Carey
Hudson

Having said that I was born in '86, so from the players I've been able to watch live in my lifetime:

Ablett Jrn
Ablett Snr
Carey
Dunstall
Lockett

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
only going on since around 1975 when i was a casual observer, i started following seriously in 2000 coinciding with the lions rise.
1. wayne carey
2. gary ablett snr
3. leigh matthews
4. tony lockett
5. jason dunstall

honorable mentions: gary ablett jnr, michael voss,

Freya

Senior List
Dec 11, 2015
Parramatta
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ipswich Town
1. Peter Daicos
2. Gary Ablett snr
3. Greg Williams
4. Bernie Quinlan
5. Wayne Carey

My favourite players to watch, not necessarily the best players.

Daicos made ridiculous goals out of half chances and invented new ways of kicking them such as the dribble goal.

Ablett snr was simply the finest footballer the game has produced. We'll never see anyone as good as him again.

Williams was the best inside midfielder in history with an uncanny reading of the game and awareness.

Quinlan was the best kick of the modern age and a super player.

Carey... Has there been a better pack mark?

Freya

Senior List
Dec 11, 2015
Parramatta
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ipswich Town
Contested mark? Definitely among my top five or so.
Pack marks, Corey McKernan (at the height of his career) was brilliant. Never saw Simon Madden but most of highlights are nothing but pack marks. The Danihers were strong in that area too.
Well here's about ten great Carey pack marks and that's just from 1993.

Funny you mention McKernan as I nearly had him in the list. A devastating player, he had Brisbane beaten singlehandedly at the 5 min mark of the first quarter 1996 Prelim.

Madden was a terrific player, one of the greatest ruck/forwards, but not sure I'd be comparing the Danihers to King Carey in any way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Been watching footy keenly since the late 70s. In that time, I'd go for:

1. Ablett Snr
2. Lockett
3. Carey
4. Voss
5. Ablett Jnr

Len S

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ron Barrassi
Barry Cable
Wayne Carey
Tony Lockett
Gary Ablett Jnr

I saw all of the following except Bunton,however his record stands alone, as a great athlete. He invented the ruck- rover style. He was also a champion swimmer and cricketer.He won not only 3 Brownlows, but 3 Sandovers,and would possibly have won more,had the war not intervened. He suffers in history's recollection,due to a premature death, and playing for lower sides.

Bunton

Ian Stewart

Matthews

Whitten

Barassi

Unlike some, Barassi and Whitten,did not disappear under pressure, ,[ Carey V Jackovich ], and were at their peak for many years. They were also extraordinary leaders.Stewart was the best centreman I saw, 3 brownlows, and Matthews can never be overlooked.

Of course, most mentioned,were great !

Masqualero

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Ablett Jnr
Chris Judd
Lance Franklin
Michael Voss
Nathan Fyfe

Started following early 2000's so I won't put players I never saw though I am aware of how good Mathews, Ablett Snr, Carey and Williams were.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well here's about ten great Carey pack marks and that's just from 1993.

Funny you mention McKernan as I nearly had him in the list. A devastating player, he had Brisbane beaten singlehandedly at the 5 min mark of the first quarter 1996 Prelim.

Madden was a terrific player, one of the greatest ruck/forwards, but not sure I'd be comparing the Danihers to King Carey in any way.

Wow...and in great defenders like Jakovich and Langford like they weren't there. Best i gave seen with McLeod, lockett, voss and paul kelly tied for 2nd

Wayne Carey
Ben Cousins
Ablett Snr
Tony Lockett
Gary MacIntosh

I like the inclusion of macintosh......a champion.

the sanfl had some real gems in the 70s and 80s in ebert, blight, aish, mcintosh, robran, carey, cornes and davies

AFC Diehard

Draftee
Dec 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers, Sturt FC
For my team:
Ricciutto
Mcleod
Hart
Jarman
Rehn

Ever:
Gary Ablett Snr
Tony Lockett
Michael Tuck
Wayne Carey
Leigh Matthews

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Watching footy since 1971
1. Leigh Matthews - Hard, tough ,mongrel, brillant
2. Gary Ablett Snr - Hard, tough, mongrel, brillant, flashy
3. Kevin Bartlett - Had a quiet day if less than 30 possessions, forced rule change
4. Peter Hudson - Marvel around goal.
5. Peter Daicos - Proved to the next generation that you can kick around corners.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Contested mark? Definitely among my top five or so.
Pack marks, Corey McKernan (at the height of his career) was brilliant. Never saw Simon Madden but most of highlights are nothing but pack marks. The Danihers were strong in that area too.
You missed the three greatest & most-prolific pack markers of all time

1. Stewart Loewe
2. Gary Dempsey
3. Matthew Richardson

Their contested marking is what made these three so great.

Loewe was deficient in many areas, but he was a phenomenal mark. There has never been a more dominant aerialist in the game's history. Richo was not far behind him. 197cm, good athleticism, massive leap, sticky fingers. Richmond just needed to kick the ball in his general direction and he'd pluck it. Just like Loewe, he would then spray his set shot for goal.

Dempsey was a contested marking beast back in the 70's. He was the best ruckman of the 70's. Football often resembled "kick to kick" in those days with big packs forming at CHF and the goal square. Dempsey stood tall in the backline and would take repeated high marks.

Carey, McKernan, Madden and Daniher were also good in this area, but they had other things which set them apart. Carey had a low centre of gravity for a 6-4 CHF combined with amazing balance and skill. He was more dangerous running back towards goal than leading out and taking strong marks like Plugger Lockett.

McKernan and Madden were both very mobile ruckman in their prime. Madden (like Carey) was a natural sportsman with a ton of skill and nous. Terry Daniher was one of the toughest players ever with enormous endurance - he never stopped running.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back