Opinion Names on Back of Jumpers

Should Names be Shown on the Back of Jumpers?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll certainly need some better means of distinguishing players when everyone is running around with a Caleb Daniel-style helmet.

There are so many reasons to love our great game and today I've learned that another one is AND WE DON'T EVEN HAVE THE PLAYERS' NAMES ON THE BACK OF THEIR JERSEYS!!!!
ROAR!
Indeed, did Australians invent numbers? Is there anything we can't do?

Seems like a no-brainer. Has absolutely no negative consequences so not sure why some are so vehemently opposed. Even a fan who can recognise every player in their squad, including rookies, won’t know every player from an opposing club. Not everyone wants to watch a game with their nose buried in their phone to identify players. And even if it’s not legible 100 per cent of the time, there will be plenty of times it will be, such as during stoppages.

I mean, sure, it might not add a great deal either but I struggle to think of a rational reason to be opposed.
1. It looks really messy
2. It's completely unnecessary.

You don't need to buy the footy record these days, you can simply look the players numbers up on your phone. If you have any sort of passion to follow a team you'll know who the players are and who the most important opposition players are. If you don't, then why do you care who their names are anyway?

The only argument is - what about the kids? Guess what, kids aren't stupid, they're great at learning the numbers.

There's a fascination with trying to dumb down sports across the board. It's the wrong idea. Sports are meant to be a bit confusing, complicated even arcane. That's how you learn the nuances that make certain games and players special.

Yes. This is another example of the fans from the traditional AFL states not getting it. In NSW and QLD everything that makes understanding the game a little easier should be considered, and that includes helping people who are considering becoming fans by making it easier for them to identify players.

Not to mention putting the names on the backs of guersney's does increase sales of those guernsey's in the clubs shops.

They don't even do it in NRL anyway...

1. It looks really messy

You don't need to buy the footy record these days, you can simply look the players numbers up on your phone. If you have any sort of passion to follow a team you'll know who the players are and who the most important opposition players are. If you don't, then why do you care who their names are anyway?

The only argument is - what about the kids? Guess what, kids aren't stupid, they're great at learning the numbers.

There's a fascination with trying to dumb down sports across the board. It's the wrong idea. Sports are meant to be a bit confusing, complicated even arcane. That's how you learn the nuances that make certain games and players special.

Sorry, who wants to look at their stupid phone when the game is on?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, who wants to look at their stupid phone when the game is on?
Half the people under 30 spend a lot of the games on their phones anyway. But the point is you don't need a footy record, it's very easy to look up numbers, maybe at one of the many breaks in play. If you're live at the ground you won't be able to read the names on most players unless you've got a seat close to the front and on the interchange side. And if you're live at the ground surely you know most of your own sides players to begin with, and if you don't I really don't care. We don't need to make rules for the people who don't care. It might be different up at the theatre goers where they only know Buddy but when I'm at the ground most fans are super informed and passionate because that's what footy is about.

I don’t mind either way but on traditionalism it reminds me of how before they got rid of runners everyone got worked up about how using number boards for substitutions would be unworkable because coaches don’t know player numbers and only refer to players using weird nicknames or whatever lmfao

1. It looks really messy

Messy? What, worried it might clash with the Hungry Jacks and Mission logos? And unnecessary? Quite a few people saying it is. I genuinely can’t think of a logical reason to oppose it other than ‘that’s the way it’s always been’.

Also, still trying to get my head around the idea we should deliberately make sports complicated and difficult to understand to make it special. I mean, it might seem that way because of the AFL rules committee but I don’t think it’s standard practice.

Not necessary, players are either in clusters, cutting and dodging in all 360 directions or moving with speed to even be able to notice the name on the jumper. As soon as the person has possession of the ball it's gone
Not true. Particularly on TV, there are countless close-ups where you will see numerous players’ names.

How about we sew in led lights into each jumper and that can scroll the players name and stats and advertising across the back of it during the game, it will be awesome! :sick:
You know what that could be awesome for? Betting. Imagine you had real-time odds as a player was lining up a shot at goal. I can't see any way this is not an excellent development.

Back