Names on the back of guernseys - is it time?

Would you like to see names on guernseys?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dooky

All Australian
Oct 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Spurs, Phoenix Suns
Thoughts?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-16/names-on-guernseys-return-nicknames-welcomed-for-aflx

THE AFL will revisit names on the back of guernseys for the realestate.com.au AFLX tournament at Marvel Stadium next Friday night.
Players from Team Deadly, Team Bolts, Team Flyers and Team Rampage will have the option of having their surname or a nickname embroidered on the back of their guernseys on the night.

Geelong superstar and Team Bolts captain Patrick Dangerfield has chosen to have 'Danger' printed on the back of his guernsey, with other players still deciding on their preferred name designation.
Dangerfield told AFL.com.au nicknames on guernseys related nicely to the target audience of children aged five to 12 for AFLX.

"Whenever kids see you in the street they don't very often yell out your full surname and it's usually your nickname, like 'Danger'," he said.
"The concept of AFLX is having a bit of fun and this speaks to that."

Previously, the League instituted a one-round trial in round five, 2014, of having names on the back of guernseys. Despite positive reaction from fans, the AFL decided not to proceed further because of the lack of space on an AFL guernsey presenting "practical limitations".
The size of the lettering that could be used, the size of numbers, club acronyms and sponsor logos also proved problematic when it came to having names on the back of guernseys.

However, Dangerfield said it was a no-brainer that the AFL should again look at whether names on the back of guernseys could work in the premiership season as well.
"We should have kept it when we first did that trial. I love it and I think especially if we want to continue to grow the game," Dangerfield said.

"For people just starting to watch the game it gives them a bit of a compass on who is who and who is playing where.
"Aesthetically it looks good. They do it in other codes and you don't have to copy everything that everyone else does but I think you've got to acknowledge when other codes do things well and I think that would be a nice touch for our game."

Names on the back of guernseys for AFLX follows the League giving players approval not to wear team apparel to the venue, and instead express their own personalities and flair with an open dress code for the night.
Much to Dangerfield's chagrin, Team Bolts have already suffered a few injuries within their squad with Robbie Gray (knee soreness) replaced by Tom Rockliff and Robbie Tarrant (shoulder) also ruled out, with teammate Jamie Macmillan expected to get the call-up.
Dangerfield said Team Bolts would have a 'Captain's run' (a light kick-to-kick session) on Thursday to get to know each other.
"We'll have a little run together the day before the game and get together and have a bit of dinner together as a team as well," Dangerfield said.
"We've got to make sure that it's a really enjoyable experience for those participating in it."

1550293692957.png

It doesn't really matter. You can't see them at the game unless they are right in front of you because the font was too small, and you don't need them for TV because the commentators already call them.

I think it is completely stupid that it hasn't been brought in as it helps with name recognition for more casual fans and increases merchandise sales. It is idiotic that names on the back of guernsey's has not been brought in, and the only argument against it is tradition. Well polio was a tradition as well at one point.

I'm all for it.
'Tradition' is stupid reason to not do it (as with many other areas in afl), might as well force spectators to arrive at games by horse and buggy while we're at it and only telecast games in black and white.
Better yet, get rid of television and all footy media. If you want to follow a team go watch them play live or hear the result the next morning from the bloke that yells out daily news in your local town square

Nope. They're pointless, you can't read them unless there's a close up shot on TV - which is rare. The only time it would come in handy is memorabilia, but for players that are good enough for that their number is synonymous with them anyway.
I'd rather keep the backs of jumpers nice and clean.

Better yet, get rid of television and all footy media. If you want to follow a team go watch them play live or hear the result the next morning from the bloke that yells out daily news in your local town square
Given the myriad of commentators we currently have, your sarcasm is still a better alternative.

"Hear ye, hear ye! On ye Saturn's day, the Eagles of the West hath vanquished the Magpies of Collings Wood, Lord Simpson and his brave men prevailing by scarcely five points in Ye Grande Finale!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only time you can read it is when you get a medium shot of a player on TV, but at that point the commentary and graphics tend to provide the service of telling you who the players are. There was a short lived trial of names on jumpers a couple of years back, but as they were only on the back they didn't provide that much of a service. Unless you put them on both sides it's kind of a half measure, and I don't think the footy public is ready for that at this stage.

Nope. They're pointless, you can't read them unless there's a close up shot on TV - which is rare. The only time it would come in handy is memorabilia, but for players that are good enough for that their number is synonymous with them anyway.
I'd rather keep the backs of jumpers nice and clean.

I'd say it's time to upgrade the size of your screen.

In all srsness I usually only know my own team's numbers off by heart and so would love to see oppo teams have surnames on their back.

Admittedly I would also love a Yeo and Natanui guernsey to wear around.

That's why we have commentators

Could you be a good chap and let them know that?

In between the stories of how tuff Derm was back in the day, and Eddie figuring out what to say and how to say it in such a way as to advance his own interests, I'm not sure much actual commentating is going on. (i like derm btw)

Serious note - written names would also be good for the hearing impaired.

Could you be a good chap and let them know that?

In between the stories of how tuff Derm was back in the day, and Eddie figuring out what to say and how to say it in such a way as to advance his own interests, I'm not sure much actual commentating is going on. (i like derm btw)

Serious note - written names would also be good for the hearing impaired.
The hearing impaired have aids and subtitles that will work for 100% of the game. Not just when a player on the broadcast wing turns directly away from the camera.

Our game moves too fast for names to add anything except even more clutter. Cricket, soccer, even basketball (due to having so few players) there is often time and angles to read a name. With our game, even with television, names are rarely readable when a player is actually involved in play. It adds nothing, and uses up even more of a jumper that's already overloaded with sponsor logos.

I think it is completely stupid that it hasn't been brought in as it helps with name recognition for more casual fans and increases merchandise sales. It is idiotic that names on the back of guernsey's has not been brought in, and the only argument against it is tradition. Well polio was a tradition as well at one point.
I don't think that's the only argument against it. I remember hearing about an MLB baseball player shortening the name on the back of his jersey so it would fit properly. Makes me think now what are the options for AFL players like Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti if this was to be looked at. If the answer is to use a smaller font that no one can see properly anyway, then I don't think it's worth it. Same goes for making him use a shortened surname on the guernsey.

Back