Naming names

Remove this Banner Ad

MauroFogheri

Fill the crucible
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why wouldn't a TV news name a person charged with a serious crime? Anecdotally, this is happening more I reckon, like tonight, with the Mordialloc double murder, charges laid but not named on Nine. Can't have been suppressed as affiliate The Age named him (Rod Lee)

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why wouldn't a TV news name a person charged with a serious crime? Anecdotally, this is happening more I reckon, like tonight, with the Mordialloc double murder, charges laid but not named on Nine. Can't have been suppressed as affiliate The Age named him (Rod Lee)

Have the charges been formalised in court yet?

MauroFogheri

Fill the crucible
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have the charges been formalised in court yet?
Well the reporter explained that a 73.y.o. had been charged with two counts of murder, I just looked and it appears this happened during an overnight, online hearing.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well the reporter explained that a 73.y.o. had been charged with two counts of murder, I just looked and it appears this happened during an overnight, online hearing.

Unsure if this would be the reason but sometimes they hold off if family members still need to be notified that someone has died.

fortunatecrow

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
A guess: once you have been charged then there is a trial that might be potentially prejudiced. So is it that they will name a person in custody up until they have been charged?

BonzaRam

All Australian
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Perth
I wonder if the other unconnected double murder in Mordialloc that day may have influenced that to avoid confusion and prevent social media stuff ups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad