Naming names

Remove this Banner Ad

MauroFogheri

Fill the crucible
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why wouldn't a TV news name a person charged with a serious crime? Anecdotally, this is happening more I reckon, like tonight, with the Mordialloc double murder, charges laid but not named on Nine. Can't have been suppressed as affiliate The Age named him (Rod Lee)

Why wouldn't a TV news name a person charged with a serious crime? Anecdotally, this is happening more I reckon, like tonight, with the Mordialloc double murder, charges laid but not named on Nine. Can't have been suppressed as affiliate The Age named him (Rod Lee)

Have the charges been formalised in court yet?

Well the reporter explained that a 73.y.o. had been charged with two counts of murder, I just looked and it appears this happened during an overnight, online hearing.

Unsure if this would be the reason but sometimes they hold off if family members still need to be notified that someone has died.

A guess: once you have been charged then there is a trial that might be potentially prejudiced. So is it that they will name a person in custody up until they have been charged?

In a prominent case currently, yesterday online article saying they couldn't identify or show image of arrested person or victim, but last night information clearly provided/shown on nightly tv news service.

Defamation. You stuff up and claim someone is charged with murder and get it wrong... expensive mistake. It may hinder police investigations. Journos need to build good relationships with the cops if they want the 'scoop'. Stuffing them up is a sure fire way to do the opposite. There may also be privacy concerns from a legal perspective.

Why don't you email Rod Lee and ask? He'll probably respond if you write a respectful message.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back