Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India

Remove this Banner Ad

I maintain he's going to stick around until the left dispense with idiots like Rahul Gandhi, who are clearly in high positions due to nepotism rather than any demonstrated competence.

This extreme Hindu nationalism he seems to champion

April 2019

...When Narendra Modi, India’s prime minister, was elected in 2014, it was with broad support for his sweeping promises to modernize India’s economy, fight corruption and aggressively assert India’s role in the world. Five years later, he is widely seen as having made at least some progress on those issues.

That secular agenda was always entwined with Mr. Modi’s roots within a conservative Hindu political movement that strives to make India a Hindu state. Many of his more moderate supporters hoped he might set the sectarianism aside.

But over the past five years, his bloc, the Bharatiya Janata Party, or B.J.P., has been spreading an us-versus-them philosophy in a country already rived by dangerous divisions. The Hindu right has never been more enfranchised at every level of government.

Now, with national elections underway, and with most polling data indicating that Mr. Modi will return to power, the growing belief here is that a divisive Hindu-first agenda will only accelerate.

The emboldening effect became apparent within months of the 2014 election. Hindu lynch mobs began to pop up across the landscape, killing Muslims and lower-caste people suspected of slaughtering cows, a sacred animal under Hinduism. Most often, the mobs have gotten away with it.

Hate speech began to proliferate. So did the use of internet trolls to shut down critics.

Government bodies began rewriting history books, lopping out sections on Muslim rulers, changing official place names to Hindu from Muslim, and more aggressively contesting holy sites...

is extremely worrying. Singular ethno-religious states are a stain on our collective humanity. How to stop him though?

Up to his usual antics again, even an appeaser like Wong can't ignore it.
I am naturally biased against this guy & most Indians (my Nana was from Kashmir before The Partition & was treated horribly) but he does seem to be a piece of garbage who gets away with a lot.
Albo practically fawns over the dude.

I am naturally biased against this guy & most Indians (my Nana was from Kashmir before The Partition & was treated horribly) but he does seem to be a piece of garbage who gets away with a lot.

He's very popular amongst the diaspora in Australia who are a big voting bloc, especially in the battle-ground outer-suburban areas.

The minorities they're attacking in India are also small minorities within the diaspora in Australia.

He needs to be called out but wrong to call Penny an appeaser, she is only soft on one country as the ALP (not because of her background) values diaspora votes and Xi's $ more than human rights.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The state sanctioned murder of an enemy shows up new India
What about last year when that other fella, the one who organised the Air India bombing decades ago - Singh Malik, was shot by hitmen? Didn't that show up new India? What about Hinduttwa? The Gurat pogrom?

This isn't a new thing. Modi is sus as.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back