Narkle - will he move on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

34% TOG.

Finished with 8 clearances (highest of anyone on the ground).

giphy.gif

Talking about players leaving, watched Tim Kelly a couple of times this season. He isn't quite the player he used to be. Good, not great. Any more.

Hey all - long time lurker first time poster. Just wanted to leave my thoughts here...

Some perspective:

Narkle has played 27 games. 27.

First 30 disposal performance (games played):

Dustin Martin 26
Joel Corey 30
Jimmy Bartel 36
Patrick Dangerfield 63
Brandon Parfitt 76
Gary Ablett Jr 103
________

Quinton Narkle 22

To suggest that this is the finished product (and that upside is limited) would be extremely foolish.

Players who can win their own ball, break away with speed and are clean do not grow on trees.

Too often on this board, we focus on what needs to improve instead of taking stock to reflect on what we have.

I agree on the consensus that he needs to improve his tank to go to the next level, but he has already shown a unique blend of traits that don't come around every day.

I find the ongoing commentary around his lack of defensive game overstated and a 'convenient' narrative to justify his non-selection over others, particularly Higgins.

There is little to no criticism of the lack of hurt factor many bring to the team.

Yes Narkle could (and should) improve in this department, but it hardly overshadows the strengths he brings to this side. He has also shown a willingness to run back and provide assistance in defence to provide rebound.

In addition, it's curious that some suggest he would be incapable of playing more time forward (when resting). I don't believe he should slot into Dalhaus' or Close's role for 100% game time but he provided a nice lead up option on the flanks against Fremantle and he is dangerous around the goals.

I also think he is more than worth some time on the wing if that's what it takes to keep him in the team every week.

Here's hoping that the MC wake up before it's too late.

Class. X-factor. Explosion.

I didn't rate GHS, I don't rate Constable. I don't rate Clark.

I rate Narkle.

Talking about players leaving, watched Tim Kelly a couple of times this season. He isn't quite the player he used to be. Good, not great. Any more.
No fun being the number one banana. Even Parish has found out how much fun it is that last couple of weeks and looked invincible.

He was keen to impress his new employer. 😜
I'm tipping there are far more distractions for Kelly back in Perth than there were in Geelong.At KP is where he'd have grown to his full potential as a footballer how ever given his circumstances I don't blame he and his family wanting to go home.

I'm tipping there are far more distractions for Kelly back in Perth than there were in Geelong.At KP is where he'd have grown to his full potential as a footballer how ever given his circumstances I don't blame he and his family wanting to go home.
That post was about Narkle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think so? He's pretty powerful I think.

Its all relative. I think he would be more than best 22 with a Danger or StepOk body. I think he has as much to offer as Parfitt bar the defensive pressure side of the game. I get this feeling that we have moved into a mindset of beef. The big bodies allow us to play the way we did early yesterday.

Narkle has something about him... Ability to find the ball and sidestep/pushoff in tight, also not super fast but has a little dash.
Certainly don't want to be losing him for the long term.
But we are in flag mode this year and if he has to miss out or be a sub, then I'll cop it.
Obviously if we were a rebuilding type team, he'd be playing more.
With the age demographic of our list, we need to hold onto him for the future.

Narkle has something about him... Ability to find the ball and sidestep/pushoff in tight, also not super fast but has a little dash.
Certainly don't want to be losing him for the long term.
But we are in flag mode this year and if he has to miss out or be a sub, then I'll cop it.
Obviously if we were a rebuilding type team, he'd be playing more.
With the age demographic of our list, we need to hold onto him for the future.
If he stays and waits he can be part of our future midfield along with Parfitt/Holmes etc

Its all relative. I think he would be more than best 22 with a Danger or StepOk body. I think he has as much to offer as Parfitt bar the defensive pressure side of the game. I get this feeling that we have moved into a mindset of beef. The big bodies allow us to play the way we did early yesterday.

I see him as almost the opposite of Parfitt, whose skills and decision making are at times wanting but no-one could ever doubt his determination and defensive pressure.

Narkle's has a touch of class about him but almost seems to be coasting at times. That may well be the appearance rather than the reality. He really is a smooth mover.

If you could put them together you'd have a superstar. Both would be very handy for our team in the future.

Drop Higgins permanently for him. Only one of them has more than 2 to 14 months left for the rest of their career.

Drop Higgins permanently for him. Only one of them has more than 2 to 14 months left for the rest of their career.
We are all in for a flag this year.... If they think Higgins is ahead of Narkle, I have no issue with us playing Higgins.
Narkle seems to come in and be played as a centre square player with limited time on ground % and Higgins is played more of a half-forward role.
Whatever they think is the best mix to win this year is what I want.
I like Narkle.... but I like flags more.

I get the premise of doing this, however since we are going for the flag this season, and in a really strong position, we MUST play whoever the MC believe would give us the best chance of that.
Even if we were just inside the 8, like a Saints or GWS or something then I'd absolutely support what you say, but we aren't so I can't.

I hope and expect that the MC will pick players who are in form, fit and capable rather than favourites or those who recruited from other clubs with promises of success.

If that's Higgins, Narkle or someone else, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back