Review Narrow loss v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said earlier, I don't mind the chopping of the arms not being paid as long as they're being consistent along with most decisions I guess. But the closest thing we've gotten to consistency this year is the umpires have been consistently inconsistent.

As I said earlier, I don't mind the chopping of the arms not being paid as long as they're being consistent along with most decisions I guess. But the closest thing we've gotten to consistency this year is the umpires have been consistently inconsistent.

Agreed. Call it the same way each time and I don't have an issue.

But not calling it at one end of the ground, and then handing a free at the other end due to minor contact is exceedingly annoying.

Make absolutely no mistake - the difference between these two sides on Friday was the umpires.

It sucks to be on the losing end of umpiring decisions, because even valid complaints seem like sour grapes - but it's simply a statement of fact; the team that won this game only did so because the game was officiated incorrectly.

I can't recall the specific times in the games (could go watch it again if I could be stuffed) but here is a list, just off the top of my head of incorrect decisions:

1) Goddard not paid a mark that was clearly taken inside forward 50. Replays are clear cut.
2) Goddard had BOTH arms of his opponent over his shoulder, and was forcefully dragged out of the contest. Should have been a free for high contact, none given.
3) Carlisle has his arms chopped out from him in a marking contest. Very clear, no free given.
4) Joel Selwood takes possession of the ball and immediately dives to the ground forcing high contact (surprise surprise) should have been play on, paid as a free.
5) Steve Johnson on the wing, attempts to run around three defenders. Third defender catches him and tackles. Ball spills free. Clear as a bell holding the ball, called play on.
6) Blicavs consistently crosses the line and holds out Ryder during ball up. Called ONCE for blocking.

And that's just what I can remember without referencing the game.

When the umpires make errors that impact the result of a game, they should be removed from the game - but no, it isn't scandalous enough to warrant air time......

Also, I thought the angle for Danniher's last shot at goal was way too severe.

Also, I thought the angle for Danniher's last shot at goal was way too severe.
I return after a weeks ban, to a: Apologise for my unfair rant re; Essendon getting the 'rub' of the umpires, and b: as a neutral supporter, to say Essendon was totally screwed by the umpires against Geelong. I love the Cats, but they were so favoured all night, in a close game, you guys have every right to be spewing after that crap.......Re; Danihers last shot....the umpires haven't got a clue how to set a proper angle these days, just as they have no clue how to adjudicate most rules......appalling. Good luck for the remainder of the season....and with the ASADA crap!

Make absolutely no mistake - the difference between these two sides on Friday was the umpires.

It sucks to be on the losing end of umpiring decisions, because even valid complaints seem like sour grapes - but it's simply a statement of fact; the team that won this game only did so because the game was officiated incorrectly.

I can't recall the specific times in the games (could go watch it again if I could be stuffed) but here is a list, just off the top of my head of incorrect decisions:

1) Goddard not paid a mark that was clearly taken inside forward 50. Replays are clear cut.
2) Goddard had BOTH arms of his opponent over his shoulder, and was forcefully dragged out of the contest. Should have been a free for high contact, none given.
3) Carlisle has his arms chopped out from him in a marking contest. Very clear, no free given.
4) Joel Selwood takes possession of the ball and immediately dives to the ground forcing high contact (surprise surprise) should have been play on, paid as a free.
5) Steve Johnson on the wing, attempts to run around three defenders. Third defender catches him and tackles. Ball spills free. Clear as a bell holding the ball, called play on.
6) Blicavs consistently crosses the line and holds out Ryder during ball up. Called ONCE for blocking.

And that's just what I can remember without referencing the game.

When the umpires make errors that impact the result of a game, they should be removed from the game - but no, it isn't scandalous enough to warrant air time......

Giving Steve Motlop a free run in the last quarter did not help.

Giving Steve Motlop a free run in the last quarter did not help.

Certainly did not.

However that does not excuse deplorable, game altering umpiring.

Certainly did not.

However that does not excuse deplorable, game altering umpiring.
I agree with most of your calls there, but i'm pretty sure Geelong could come up with a similar list the other way.
I saw a predominance of free's Essendons way that i couldn't actually even see on the replay. But the biggest thing was the way we didn't get pinged for pulling the ball in when we went to ground. From memory there must have been about 6 occasions like that where we could have been pinged and we got away with them all.
We also got given a shot on goal in the first half that was completely inexplicable (which we missed).
The last quarter swung their way on umpiring decisions, but i wouldn't call the game particularly unbalanced on the whole. Nothing like the Sydney game...

I agree with most of your calls there, but i'm pretty sure Geelong could come up with a similar list the other way.
I saw a predominance of free's Essendons way that i couldn't actually even see on the replay. But the biggest thing was the way we didn't get pinged for pulling the ball in when we went to ground. From memory there must have been about 6 occasions like that where we could have been pinged and we got away with them all.
We also got given a shot on goal in the first half that was completely inexplicable (which we missed).
The last quarter swung their way on umpiring decisions, but i wouldn't call the game particularly unbalanced on the whole. Nothing like the Sydney game...

Completely disagree.

Whilst I agree with the idea that any fan could effectively make a list of decisions they believe didn't go their way - I seriously doubt many (if any) could make one so extensive and obvious as that witnessed on Friday.

The umpiring was disgusting. And as I said earlier, the unfortunate part is we lost the game - making criticism of the umpiring seem sour grapes.

Those Goddard decision as an example, were absolutely disgusting. The Stevie J one was ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.

Moreover, the decisions (and non-decisions) were absolutely game changing.

The end result, we lost that game solely because the game was not officiated fairly. I'm not accusing them of deliberately cheating - I am accusing them of being unacceptably inept.

i would like to see footage of the bartel handball at the top of the square to motlop(?) again. live it looked blatantly incorrect
ive given up on getting angry at the umpires across all games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i would like to see footage of the bartel handball at the top of the square to motlop(?) again. live it looked blatantly incorrect
ive given up on getting angry at the umpires across all games
It was a handball.

Completely disagree.

Whilst I agree with the idea that any fan could effectively make a list of decisions they believe didn't go their way - I seriously doubt many (if any) could make one so extensive and obvious as that witnessed on Friday.

The umpiring was disgusting. And as I said earlier, the unfortunate part is we lost the game - making criticism of the umpiring seem sour grapes.

Those Goddard decision as an example, were absolutely disgusting. The Stevie J one was ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.

Moreover, the decisions (and non-decisions) were absolutely game changing.

The end result, we lost that game solely because the game was not officiated fairly. I'm not accusing them of deliberately cheating - I am accusing them of being unacceptably inept.
Being an Essendon supporter i'm unavoidably biased. So i think it is a pretty reasonably indication that the umpiring wasn't that bad. You are concentrating on the last quarter which went their way by a fair margin. I'd say the rest of the game went our way to a lesser degree. The end result is probably a mild advantage to Geelong, particularly because of the crucial timing, but it's by no means disgusting.

He usually deals with those types pretty well tbh

Baguley was destroyed by Motlop in 2013. The Hocking match-up worked well but for some strange reason Hocking was moved off Motlop in the fouth quarter.

Forwards having arms held - JD/Carlisle must learn to swing their arms back to show they are being held ala Petrie - This at least gets the umpires thinking.

Baguley was destroyed by Motlop in 2013. The Hocking match-up worked well but for some strange reason Hocking was moved off Motlop in the fouth quarter.

Forwards having arms held - JD/Carlisle must learn to swing their arms back to show they are being held ala Petrie - This at least gets the umpires thinking.

I think that was because Motlop came off the ground and didn't look like coming back on. Actually worked in their favour!

Bomber said hat with Molop hurting himself, he thought it would be a better idea to mov Hocking to Duncan. At that stage, Duncan was on fire, so it looked like a smart decision. Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

Bomber said hat with Molop hurting himself, he thought it would be a better idea to mov Hocking to Duncan. At that stage, Duncan was on fire, so it looked like a smart decision. Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

Think at that stage that Duncan was getting away from Stanton.

actually moved him to selwood according to bomber last night. They were concerned he would lift the team. Hibberd was minding him when he was forward and at one contest hibberd went a spoil didnt influence the contest and motlop got the crumb.

I would argue though that melksham standing 5m off motlop and not covering for hibbo was the mistake however, not hibbo attempting to spoil.

actually moved him to selwood according to bomber last night. They were concerned he would lift the team. Hibberd was minding him when he was forward and at one contest hibberd went a spoil didnt influence the contest and motlop got the crumb.

I would argue though that melksham standing 5m off motlop and not covering for hibbo was the mistake however, not hibbo attempting to spoil.
That was Hardingham

That was Hardingham

Na it was Hibberd, they showed it last night on 360 with Bomber and he said Hibberd really needed to influence the contest if he chooses to leave his man. Interesting he said they had identified Motlop as someone to try and lock down on in the last quarter and wanted to try and get Hocking too him but they chose to go to Selwood instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back