Narrow losses...

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
I think we have 8 wins and 20 losses in games decided by under a goal since 2010.
Last year was the exception, with three wins in four (one of those the Brisbane game where we had a big lead and Rayner missed a shot to win and another the Bulldogs win where we blew it and they handed us a last chance with that horrible Wallis error, so two wins that we could thank our opponents for). We also lost games late in year to cost ourselves finals chance by 7 and 9 pts.
Outside of last year's good fortune, 5 and 19.
Simply not good enough if you want to contend.

I think we have 8 wins and 20 losses in games decided by under a goal since 2010.
Last year was the exception, with three wins in four (one of those the Brisbane game where we had a big lead and Rayner missed a shot to win and another the Bulldogs win where we blew it and they handed us a last chance with that horrible Wallis error, so two wins that we could thank our opponents for). We also lost games late in year to cost ourselves finals chance by 7 and 9 pts.

Come on Scotty, 99 players out of 100 don't kick that AMT goal yesterday and we were dead and buried at 3QT. Not comparable to some of the baffling close losses of recent years (2013 especially)

Come on Scotty, 99 players out of 100 don't kick that AMT goal yesterday and we were dead and buried at 3QT. Not comparable to some of the baffling close losses of recent years (2013 especially)
The point is we gave them the chance. We gave Rayner the chance last year. We always give them a chance and that's why we win less than one in three.

Serious question, how far from this do you think we are?

After the first rounds of this year with seriously disappointing losses, even with the return of brutal football, it was. Going to take something miraculous to even make finals this year.

I want to see how we go on our trio of top 4 road games. Shaw to coach well enough to take that question off the table.

Hit preseason hard.

Come out well drilled and methodical with a fixture representative of a side in the mid 6. Not one of a side that over achieved and actually got nowhere.

Scott is gone, the close losses thing will change but composure has been one of our weakest elements. It's going to take time to fix and we're not there yet.

The other thing is most of our close wins have been games where we have been well in front and almost collapsed. I think our best last quarter comeback under Brad was about a 10 point deficit.
Three of our four goal or less wins from 2010-2016 were games we led by at least five goals....and the other saw Richmond miss the chance to kick the winner in the dying seconds.
IN summary, following North takes years off your life!

It is a concerning trend and not just one we can blame 100% on Brad Scott.

The coach who was there for 10 years where it was a certifiable trend.

Yeah our lack of composure might not be solely his creation but it is a problem he sure and $hit didn't solve.

It's also not something that's just going to magically disappear.

Yeah our lack of composure might not be solely his creation but it is a problem he sure and $hit didn't solve.

Barely any of it is going to disappear at the half way mark of a season. They spent an entire pre-season drilling at garbage.

All Rhyce can do is tweak a few things, and those tweaks have had significant impact. I can't wait to see what happens if he gets to DRILL, and then implement.

I get that and I'm certainly no Brad Scott apologist. Just don't want the players to get off Scott free on this (no pun intended). They could/should have done better.

I feel like we've copped a few of those '1 in 100' instances.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel like we've copped a few of those '1 in 100' instances.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's true though!

Check it out closer:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. We have been ordinary in Tight Contests. The Leaders have to Lead. Do they in such scenarios? Like I said we did a whole lot of wrong late in that match. Atley's error is the obvious one but WTF did Goldy give us late? A poor Ruck contest. An inability to take a Big Grab Twice. Where was Cunnington? Where was Jack? Scotty T and JMac on that last line before MacTip's Goal Putrid. As for JMac how about his effort to impact the marking contest against Laverdie late? :stern look

Interesting Scotty. I said yesterday when we were a point up with 90 seconds to go that this is an absolute weakness of ours - watch us stuff this up. The rest is history.

Yesterday Tarrant kicked about 3 long down the line after taking an intercept mark. Didn't even look like he looked for a short option to my eye. That wasn't the only reason for the loss but try and milk the clock surely. A couple of non calls late from the umpires also didn't help

Yesterday Tarrant kicked about 3 long down the line after taking an intercept mark. Didn't even look like he looked for a short option to my eye. That wasn't the only reason for the loss but try and milk the clock surely. A couple of non calls late from the umpires also didn't help

He didn't have one.

He didn't look for one because not one player cbf'ed putting in the hard yards to create the option.

This is where the Sam Gibson workhorse role was valuable - he would have run 100 yards with 1 minute to go to create the required outlet.

Our blokes were out on the deck looking around hoping 'someone else' would do the work.

Absolutely unforgivable and I am sure Shaw will be roperable about it - that sort of shite cannot be tolerated if you want to be a successful team.

Iam hardly professing to be the next nostradamus however with 90 seconds to go i said to the missus watch them go up the other end and tippa kick his 5th. He just looked so lively imo. And our blokes panic when hes at the fall of the ball.

Iam hardly professing to be the next nostradamus however with 90 seconds to go i said to the missus watch them go up the other end and tippa kick his 5th. He just looked so lively imo. And our blokes panic when hes at the fall of the ball.

How many opportunities did we * up before Brown kicked the first goal of the last quarter?

13 single digit wins to 28 single digit losses since 2010. And some of those wins are instructive

Round 8, 2010 v Adelaide. Led by 54 points at 3/4. The Crows kick 7.4 to 0.1 in the last but we win by 9.
Round 11, 2010 v Brisbane. Lead by 44pts 10mins into the third. The Lions kick the next 8 to hit the front. Greenwood kicks a last minute goal to win by 1pt.
SSF, 2014 v Geelong. Lead by 32pts 16mins into the last. In the next 10mins the Cats kick 4.3 to 0.1 and we hang on for a 6pt win
Round 7, 2016 v St.Kilda. Lead by 26pts 9mins into the last. The Saints are level 10mins later. A point and goal in the last minute wins it by 7.
Round 20, 2018 v Brisbane. Lead by 24pts 10mins into the last. Score just 1pt thereafter and only an easy Rayner miss gives us a 3pt win.

The only one of the 13 wins where we were behind and genuinely in trouble late in the game and won was Round 3, 2014 against Port when we went 16 down 8mins into the last. All the others were arm-wrestles, games clinging onto slender leads, or the ones above where we won but pooped the bed a bit. In fact, North haven't won a game from as far behind at 3/4 time as we were last night since being 40 down against the Swans in 2004. Having said that, in the AFL era North have only won from 3 goals down at 3/4 time 5 times.

Round 8, 1991 v Geelong - Trailed by 19, won by 31.
Round 9, 1991 v Adelaide - Trailed by 20, won by 2
Round 6, 1998 v Adelaide - Trailed by 18, won by 4
Round 2, 2002 v Bulldogs - Trailed by 20, won by 13
Round 19, 2004 v Sydney - Trailed by 40, won by 6

13 single digit wins to 28 single digit losses since 2010. And some of those wins are instructive

Round 8, 2010 v Adelaide. Led by 54 points at 3/4. The Crows kick 7.4 to 0.1 in the last but we win by 9.
Round 11, 2010 v Brisbane. Lead by 44pts 10mins into the third. The Lions kick the next 8 to hit the front. Greenwood kicks a last minute goal to win by 1pt.
SSF, 2014 v Geelong. Lead by 32pts 16mins into the last. In the next 10mins the Cats kick 4.3 to 0.1 and we hang on for a 6pt win
Round 7, 2016 v St.Kilda. Lead by 26pts 9mins into the last. The Saints are level 10mins later. A point and goal in the last minute wins it by 7.
Round 20, 2018 v Brisbane. Lead by 24pts 10mins into the last. Score just 1pt thereafter and only an easy Rayner miss gives us a 3pt win.

The only one of the 13 wins where we were behind and genuinely in trouble late in the game and won was Round 3, 2014 against Port when we went 16 down 8mins into the last. All the others were arm-wrestles, games clinging onto slender leads, or the ones above where we won but pooped the bed a bit. In fact, North haven't won a game from as far behind at 3/4 time as we were last night since being 40 down against the Swans in 2004. Having said that, in the AFL era North have only won from 3 goals down at 3/4 time 5 times.

Round 8, 1991 v Geelong - Trailed by 19, won by 31.
Round 9, 1991 v Adelaide - Trailed by 20, won by 2
Round 6, 1998 v Adelaide - Trailed by 18, won by 4
Round 2, 2002 v Bulldogs - Trailed by 20, won by 13
Round 19, 2004 v Sydney - Trailed by 40, won by 6
It all tells a tale...

Two weeks in a row we have had control of the ball and tried to go quick.

No ******* composure whatsoever.

Tonight Wood takes a great grab in defence and handballs instead of going back and trying to find an option or hit the ball wide to a contest.

A lot of the time we go too defensive instead of keeping our structure, which just invites teams to pump it back inside their 50. We flood the D50 win the ball but just bang it back to opposition numbers.

It’s a carry over from the Scott era. In close games everyone floods back and when we do win the ball we have no options when bring it back out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back