NASCAR 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not a SVG fan, but I've always thought he was one of the finest talents I've seen in all the time I've been watching tintops which goes back to Bathurst 1977, and to win at his first attempt at NASCAR is quite amazing. Congrats SVG.
You can have all the talent but you need craft too, he’s got both.
Where as I reckon Scotty Mc has a bit more talent but not as much craft.

NASCAR 750 HP, 1497 Kgs @ 0.50 HP/Kg feeding into a 4 speed gearbox.
Gen3 Supercar 600 HP, 1335 Kgs @ 0.45 HP/Kg feeding into a 6 speed gearbox.

In a head to head race on a road course or street circuit, the lighter car would perform better but on a speedway, HP rules.

The only other comparison that needs to be made is tyres. Supercars use narrow tyres to limit the grip making the cars one of the most difficult to drive and master. NASCAR are probably tyred more suitably for the power and weight it requires. This could level the playing field head to head.
The drivers today made it seem like they were on 150 wide tyres.

NASCAR 750 HP, 1497 Kgs @ 0.50 HP/Kg feeding into a 4 speed gearbox.
Gen3 Supercar 600 HP, 1335 Kgs @ 0.45 HP/Kg feeding into a 6 speed gearbox.

In a head to head race on a road course or street circuit, the lighter car would perform better but on a speedway, HP rules.

The only other comparison that needs to be made is tyres. Supercars use narrow tyres to limit the grip making the cars one of the most difficult to drive and master. NASCAR are probably tyred more suitably for the power and weight it requires. This could level the playing field head to head.
I think some of that is a bit old, pretty sure current package is high six hundreds hp and they now use a 5 speed box.

The ultimate would be the old 850-900hp Nascar engine dropped into a Supercar.

Nothing wrong with their talent pool. SVG is just elite.

& the Giz is in rare air:
It marked the first time in 60 years a driver was won on their NASCAR debut, the last being Johnny Rutherford.

Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Johnny Rutherford and Janet Guthrie, the first woman to qualify for the Indianapolis 500, combined to drive a Ron Hodgson Motors Holden Torana at Bathurst in 1977.

Raced speedcars in Aus in 1977.

Australian motorsport is the winner here - up there with Will Power winning the Indy 500 in recent times.

Lots of chatter for SVG over this result. Blew their minds so it seems.
See: Shane van Gisbergen wins historic, wet and wild Chicago street race in his NASCAR debut
&
OR
&

No doubt the sport internationally know who Shane is.
Justin Button witnessed it first-hand as Shane Van Gisbergen went on to win in his NASCAR debut. Button was not surprised to see the three-time Supercars champion get the victory. "I think Shane did a really good job. First time in a Cup car, but he does have the expertise of a street circuit in a heavy car. I think he was always going to be quick."

Hopefully Justin gets asked about his Nascar drive on the F1 telecast & mentions Shane's drive.

They seem obsessed with SVG using the clutch, heal and tow braking on the down shifts.
Cause nobody heels and toes in NASCAR anymore. In fact, a few Supercars drivers didn't until Gen 3. I'm not 100% convinced it was an advantage to Shane more than his overall street experience, it's just what he's been doing for 15 years.

Apparently in NASCAR there's no shift cut so they have to briefly lift off the throttle when upshifting instead of just flooring it, so there's that going the other way for them.

They seem obsessed with SVG using the clutch, heal and tow braking on the down shifts.
I'm assuming Ambrose would have been doing that while he was there, no camera on it though.

Not very often the mainstream press give motorsport this sort of coverage:

Max & the Giz:
Formula One world champion Max Verstappen has raved about the NASCAR performance of “crazy right-foot braker” Shane van Gisbergen, revealing he was “screaming” at his TV watching the Supercars star’s debut Cup Series victory.
Van Gisbergen stunned the motorsport world when he upstaged NASCAR’s best to win on the streets of Chicago in his cameo for Trackhouse Racing on Monday.

A Red Bull stablemate and sim racing teammate of van Gisbergen, Verstappen revealed he stayed awake after last week’s Austrian Grand Prix to watch his friend race in the US.

Verstappen was in awe of how quickly van Gisbergen had adapted behind the wheel of a car he had only tested for the first time the week before.

Shane van Gisbergen and Jamie Whincup of Red Bull Holden Racing Team pictured with F1 champion Max Verstappen at the Melbourne F1 Grand Prix in 2017 Picture: Mark Horsburgh

And, like most in NASCAR, the Dutch star was also absorbed by the Triple Eight ace’s right-foot braking style.

“I’ve never felt so nervous in my life watching someone else race and trying to win it,” Verstappen told reporters at Silverstone ahead of the British Grand Prix.

READ MORE: ‘One more year’: SVG confirms NASCAR dream after stunning win | Supercars Top Gun ready to take flight | Kiwi Invasion: New Zealand drivers set to dominate Aussie motorsport
“I was literally screaming in front of my monitor for him to win that.

“That’s really, really impressive to jump in the car you don’t know. They are very hard cars to drive and he just goes in there and absolutely dominates the race.

“I know he’s a great driver, I know what he’s capable of and I know how good he is at different kinds of disciplines.

“He’s great, of course in the V8s, that’s what he knows. But he’s great in the rally car as well. And clearly he’s great in a NASCAR as well.

“That’s Shane. He is a crazy right-foot braker still.”

Van Gisbergen’s heel-toe braking style was a major talking point among commentators and fellow drivers in the US.

Verstappen described the Triple Supercars champion’s braking as “insane”.

“I see it all the time on the simulator as well,” Verstappen said.

“He’s also part of Team Redline (sim racing) and sometimes we race together.

“It’s quite insane that he’s that fast with that technique. But he’s also very good on fuel, for example, the way he drives.

“It’s interesting. I mean, I can’t do it, but he grew up like that.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SVG will race in the Truck series race tomorrow at 9:00 (11:00 AEST). It will be on Fox/Kayo even though they only usually show Cup Series races on it.

Kostecki and SVG are on in the Cup race at 02:30 AWST Monday morning

SVG will race in the Truck series race tomorrow at 9:00 (11:00 AEST). It will be on Fox/Kayo even though they only usually show Cup Series races on it.

Kostecki and SVG are on in the Cup race at 02:30 AWST Monday morning

The pre race talkfest is on now, interviewing SVG. The hosts talking up his chances at Indy on the road course ..... the usual humble SVG.

19th, one lap down, mid field.

Quick few words from SVG, humble & respectful all round, Shane, the truckers all, & the commentary team at IRP.
Indianapolis Motor Speedway & the Trackhouse Nascar team this weekend U.S time, early hours of Monday time on the east coast of Australia.
Go go SVG !!

SVG qualified 8th, Kostecki 11th but he crashed and had to switch to a backup car, sending him to the back of the grid.

Car flips 12 times, somehow he got out on his own but he looked heavily concussed.

Some very intense races to finish the season this weekend across every series. Cool to see RB win the Cup Series, one of his pit crew is on one of the podcast's i listen to so was hoping he would get up but didn't really care who won.

Looking forward to next season with SVG joining, not a fan of him but will be something else to follow.

Still way early in his career there but a good start. Was 19th with 57 laps to go, went to 12th after a big crash in front of him. Was 11th with 5 to go before the leader blew a tyre, restarted 8th to finish 6th.

Double duty in a fortnight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back