MRP / Trib. Nat Fyfe - How many weeks?

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Deliberate push of an umpire, the AFL set the precedent of 6 weeks so we’ll see what happens here when it’s not Toby Greene!

Geelong_Bisons_#36

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Inverleigh Hawks
To me it didn't look like he pushed the umpire. It looked like the Carlton player pushed him, and he put his arm out to stop himself getting too close to the ump. He touched him yes, but he didn't push him. Because the Carlton player pushed him into the umpire, he's got a good case to argue that contact was unavoidable.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Hmmm as much as I dont love fyfe I dont think he will get any weeks.

He was kinda being pushed in the umps direction to begin with by the oppo players and he kinda put his hand out rather than actually pushing.
Considering the circumstances he could easily argue he did it to steady himself so as not to bump bodily into the ump.

Not really comparable to Toby Greene in context of touch contact.

Kanye West

All Australian
Nov 20, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
What ever the outcome, it's just another case where the umpire is in a position they shouldn't be in.

Whats the point of them being right in the middle of a skirmish!?!

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
almost identical to ed curnow's umpire touch, 2018... which he escaped penalty initially, only for the afl to appeal.

I mean as long as you ignore the part where Fyfe is actually pushed towards the umpire then they are similar.

Not quite as dumb as claiming it was Greene's but getting there.

Danw0w

Cancelled
Footy Club Survivor 1: Adelaide Voter
Feb 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
You kidding? The discussion of even having a punishment is a joke

JoeHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2008
Templestowe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was hoping to see something more serious to see how they adjudicate AFLs poster boy vs Greene. But absolutely nothing in it. Yes he touched the Ump after being pushed and if anything he was protecting the Ump and just holding balance. Despite how hard the media is trying to make an issue of it, it’ll be thrown out imo.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Player who pushed him will be culpable and should get a fine

That’s what happens when it happens at a stoppage - it’s the pusher, not the pushee who is penalised

Rightly so

I think if it was a deliberate push so that he would bump in to the umpire then the penalty would apply (and Im pretty sure the AFL have penalised players in the past for this), but a minor shove on someone who was off balance making a tiny bit of contact with an umpire is not an issue.

There are a lot of things the AFL needs to focus on fixing, this isnt one of them.

Back