Injury Nat Fyfe: Not Suffering "serious" back injury. "Ruptured disc" during general training drill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Danny AFL coaches ,doctors ,sports scientists and surgeons have been going overseas to look at other codes and sports for ever trying to improve their knowledge of training and sports injuries and how to treat them .Ice baths from the NFL , travel and recovery from the premier league , ACL surgeons in Germany High altitude training from Kenya .
American Basketball , Base ball , Swimming and Athletics .The Australian Institute of sport and any bio mechanic they could talk to that was leading in his or her field .
Sports medicine wasn't invented by the AFL but they have used every cutting edge legal medication that improves performance of players .
Laurie Lawrence was the leading swimming coach in the world and his swimmers won a hell of a lot of gold medals in the Olympics and they broke World records so why wouldn't the AFL look at his training schedules for their athletes or at least talk to him .

Name one swimmer Laurie Lawrence has rehabilitated from an ACL reconstruction to Olympic medallist.

It would be rare for Olympic swimmers to damage knee ligaments. You're making sh!t up.

Danny AFL coaches ,doctors ,sports scientists and surgeons have been going overseas to look at other codes and sports for ever trying to improve their knowledge of training and sports injuries and how to treat them .Ice baths from the NFL , travel and recovery from the premier league , ACL surgeons in Germany High altitude training from Kenya .
American Basketball , Base ball , Swimming and Athletics .The Australian Institute of sport and any bio mechanic they could talk to that was leading in his or her field .
Sports medicine wasn't invented by the AFL but they have used every cutting edge legal medication that improves performance of players .
Laurie Lawrence was the leading swimming coach in the world and his swimmers won a hell of a lot of gold medals in the Olympics and they broke World records so why wouldn't the AFL look at his training schedules for their athletes or at least talk to him .

I think you are missing the crucial point: irregardless of the quality of your exercise, mixing exercise/rehab regimes is a terrible idea for full-time athletes. If you coach yourself, I am sure you would hate someone else interfering with your programs! Two different programs can have terrible interactions and could destroy the thinking and hard work that has gone into the plans.

I am sure that players are too polite to tell this to well-meaning supporters, but they will be under strict instructions from the club to only follow the training and nutritional programs developed by the club's professionals ...

I think you are missing the crucial point: irregardless of the quality of your exercise, mixing exercise/rehab regimes is a terrible idea for full-time athletes. If you coach yourself, I am sure you would hate someone else interfering with your programs! Two different programs can have terrible interactions and could destroy the thinking and hard work that has gone into the plans.

I am sure that players are too polite to tell this to well-meaning supporters, but they will be under strict instructions from the club to only follow the training and nutritional programs developed by the club's professionals ...

YES and that's how Crowley got into trouble by not listening to his Club doctor and went somewhere else and had to pay the price.

irregardless

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhh.

exploding_head_.jpg

Stop trying to justify your obvious wrong approach in regards the LL exercise and your direct suggestion to Dockers players to do it instead of having a discussion with Jason Weber who is the boss of the recovery staff.

Our Strength and conditioning staff i am sure would be at the cutting edge of Sports Science as it relates to rehab and performance and if not they are using world's best practice techniques in recovery.

Last edited:
so does he go forward then? If his fitness is down + the added option of bennell in the middle and weller and co's development.
Surely we'll see him playing more forward. Strengthens our attack so much - potentially looking more like (also personally hoping Yarran gets a gig over mayne, unless mayne can find some form)
HF - Walters Fyfe Mayne
FF - Ballas Pav Griffin

One of my former footy coaches was usually good for a few irregardlesses during his inspirational addresses.
Anyway, irregardless of Fyfe's potential as a forward, do we really want to see him subjected to the mauling that key forwards endure?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my former footy coaches was usually good for a few irregardlesses during his inspirational addresses.
Anyway, irregardless of Fyfe's potential as a forward, do we really want to see him subjected to the mauling that key forwards endure?
Yes

Particularly given it's a back injury if he can't go in the midfield because of it he certainly won't be able to play forward.

Remember round 1, 2014 against Collingwood? Fyfe started forward and in the first quarter the game was up for grabs. Commentators and I'm sure most Freo supporters were calling out for Fyfe to get in the middle and have some influence. I feel it will be the same this year, the idea of Fyfe playing forward is great but when the majority of the game is played in the midfield, Fyfe playing forward will be super annoying.

Remember round 1, 2014 against Collingwood? Fyfe started forward and in the first quarter the game was up for grabs. Commentators and I'm sure most Freo supporters were calling out for Fyfe to get in the middle and have some influence. I feel it will be the same this year, the idea of Fyfe playing forward is great but when the majority of the game is played in the midfield, Fyfe playing forward will be super annoying.
That game is over 18months ago. If Mundy, Harley, Neale, Hill and Barlow are playing well midfield we would be crazy to not play Fyfe more forward. It would be super annoying if we didn't try and rectify our greatest need, which is a more productive front six. Even Fyfe has said he will play forward more. The recruitment of Bennell and the development of Neale means we have far greater versatility to push Fyfe forward more then we did in Round 1 2014.

If only Fyfe was a superior set shot at goal. Instead it seems to be his greatest (if not, only) weakness.

If only Fyfe was a superior set shot at goal. Instead it seems to be his greatest (if not, only) weakness.
I've been watching the Foxtel Superstar Month Fyfe games and this is really just an urban myth resulting from his 2013 GF performance.

I've been watching the Foxtel Superstar Month Fyfe games and this is really just an urban myth resulting from his 2013 GF performance.

He isn't the greatest unless he is pirouetting and breaking 10 tackles before check-siding from the boundary.

Dead in front from 30m out are the ones I worry about.

I just started rewatching the season last night. Rnd 1 vs Port. He missed from 20m out on the slightest angle. He also took two great marks (one wasn't paid).

I do think if we played him forward he would be good for 40-50 goals, but as a midfielder in 2015 he was on track for 22-25 goals.

That game is over 18months ago. If Mundy, Harley, Neale, Hill and Barlow are playing well midfield we would be crazy to not play Fyfe more forward. It would be super annoying if we didn't try and rectify our greatest need, which is a more productive front six. Even Fyfe has said he will play forward more. The recruitment of Bennell and the development of Neale means we have far greater versatility to push Fyfe forward more then we did in Round 1 2014.

I hear what you're saying but you're down playing Fyfe's significance in the middle. How valuable do you think Fyfe's midfield work was for the first half of last year's season?... Would we have even better side playing Fyfe forward? ... Arguably our greatest strength against the better sides is Fyfe’s contested work in the middle. He is the Brownlow medallist, the last two year’s MVP in that position. Thinking we can take him away from the middle and fix a hole and improve is wishful thinking.

Maybe playing him 40% forward and 60% in the middle with 100% game time is the answer. But that being said I like the idea of Fyfe floating forward more than being double teamed starting forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back