Nat Fyfe: ruined by injuries?

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Pretty much this.

I still can't see him joining the Saints though. Strikes me as a "me" type player, he'll want more exposure than that.

I'd prefer we got Dustin Martin anyway if we're going to splash out big bucks for a free agent going by their form this season.

Aug 6, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
The thing is though, if you get someone like Fyfe and he costs you not only a huge chunk of your salary cap, but also potentially two really good draft picks, you're basically giving up 3 really good opportunities to get a "gun" (one with each draft pick, plus at least one more with the money, since you can now get someone through FA for just money), for one guy.

That's fine if you reckon that one guy is the last piece of the puzzle for a premiership, but if he isn't, it might not be the best idea to throw so many of your trade and draft assets at him, like say Carlton did when they got Judd.

Sure the kids you get with the first rounders in the draft (or from a lesser trade) probably won't be as good as a Fyfe, but the thing is, if you get two who are at least long term best 22 types from the picks, then you still have that huge amount of salary cap space available to go after a different "big fish" next year, when you're more ready for them to be the "final piece of the puzzle".
Totally agree. These super expensive players are never really worth it, even though I don't blame clubs for demanding so much. If you have to give up two first rounders, even if it's one of the best player in the league, chances are it won't be worth it.

He hasn't been on fire all year, he's building though, slowly improving. His game on the weekend wasn't the best but wasn't the worst either. His numbers this year actually aren't that far off his 2015 numbers. Maybe just less 'flashy'. Has been instrumental in all of our close wins this year.

He's not going anywhere. Will sign soon.

I thought his Carlton game was some sloppy use of the ball by foot away from him exploding.

I think hes just about ready to go. The bye in two weeks will be good for him, having not played for so long a chance to freshen up for a week may be exactly what hes needing to really crank it up.

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Injuries can definitely ruin a player. Think Nathan Brown pre and post leg break. I'd be very cautious about offering him big money via RFA until he shows he can still put together an elite season.
Unfortunately that won't happen. If a team wants him it's gonna be a big risk because of what they'll have to give up for him. We aren't Richmond, we can pretty much match any offer for him and force a trade. He'll never sign a bigger contract than this years.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Can't help but think he looks mentally checked out, but who knows, all superstar players go through an ordinary patch of football.

Looks the opposite to me. The mind is willing but the body can't quite do what it used to at the moment and it's causing him frustration.

Kenny_01

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think he needs to get back to what he does best; a beast in the contest and high flying marking. Fyfe is trying too hard to "lead from the front" and is spending an awful amount of energy trying to put pressure and dive for impossible tackles. He is giving away too many free kicks by trying too hard and is one of the reasons for the high clanger count. He also looks to have lost some explosiveness.

In 2015, prior to the Mitchell incident, he had about 100 coaches votes after 12 games. This season, he has about 14 after 10 games. Shows how dominant he was back then.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Unfortunately that won't happen. If a team wants him it's gonna be a big risk because of what they'll have to give up for him. We aren't Richmond, we can pretty much match any offer for him and force a trade. He'll never sign a bigger contract than this years.
Yeh you might match no doubt, he'll probably get a big offer from the Saints. I just think it may be risky given his injuries, but to be honest all massive money deals are.

Reckon he knows his not going to be at Freo next year. Saving the body

Was on fire at the start of the season. Somethings happened
So, Fyffe, Martin and Josh Kelly on the move. Will be a massive Trade period

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Should always wait a year after return from a serious injury. Most players aren't back to their best two years after a leg break/ACL.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Seems to me that two things may have happened.

Almost 18 months off has seen a dropping in the power in his legs. His leap isn't as dynamic, so he is getting less marks
He also seems less balanced while on the run, so when he comes to kicking the ball he's not hitting it the way he should.
Hopefully that starts sorting itself out

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Reminds me of Judd a little. Got injured at West Ciast, never quite the same after that. Was a still a great player mind you, just didn't have that extra notch that set him apart from everyone else.

It will be curious if he is like this all season whether it will effect his trade value. Although in this case doesn't matter too much because freo would be happy to keep him obviously

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Reckon he knows his not going to be at Freo next year. Saving the body

Was on fire at the start of the season. Somethings happened

Was on fire during our 0-2 start when we got flogged? Do you even watch our games or just pissing out rubbish? Honestly Fyfe has been nowhere near his best Round 1-10. When you've been out of the game for a year with multiple injuries there isn't really any rush to to go guns blazing especially when he's aware of the clubs position and is obviously molding himself slowly back into form. All that considered and he's still better than at least 90% of the competition right now.

Back