Recommitted Nat Fyfe [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Heh the AFL won't even give us the off-field package Melbourne received which would be a lot less controversial, so I can't see why they'll risk stuffing around with draft picks.
what are you talking about?

Remember when they gave you guys an extra $1m a year in salary cap space so that you could win 3 flags in a row?

what are you talking about?

Remember when they gave you guys an extra $1m a year in salary cap space so that you could win 3 flags in a row?

Remember when everyone was scared about the Y2K bug? Yep? About as relevant to current events. :thumbsu:

Hawks have a few in the gun who they've targeted a long way out, as do many teams.

Fyfe was most definitely one of them, and perhaps he still is, but there's lots of whispers that Hawthorn might look elsewhere and get more for less(2x FA's on less than what Fyfe is allegedly after).
Don't know how much was off-the-cuff, but Haggers talking on 882 this morning - Hawks not a chance for Fyfe. Don't have salary cap space, esp compared to Carlton, Ess and St Kilda. He also said Freo would have the funds to match any offer (RFA).

Fyfe at presser yesterday: “It’s an exciting time for the footy club and we have an exciting group to lead the club for the next four or five years." I'm assuming the Captain is part of the "exciting group" he is referring to. Strongest sign yet he's staying.

Still.. until he signs there will be speculation I suppose.

Don't know how much was off-the-cuff, but Haggers talking on 882 this morning - Hawks not a chance for Fyfe. Don't have salary cap space, esp compared to Carlton, Ess and St Kilda. He also said Freo would have the funds to match any offer (RFA).

Fyfe at presser yesterday: “It’s an exciting time for the footy club and we have an exciting group to lead the club for the next four or five years." I'm assuming the Captain is part of the "exciting group" he is referring to. Strongest sign yet he's staying.

Footballer gives predictable canned statement at press conference, I'm convinced

Who is haggers?

I hope it's not Kim Hagthorn?

Easy to read it the other way: the group is strong, he is just part of that group. If he goes, the strong group keeps on leading well.

In he nominates the Hawks he will be a Hawk. If the Swans can add Buddy a year after winning the flag then Fyfe can land at the club of his choice.

I think he stays but I would not rule out any club landing if he leaves.

I wouldn't be overly worried if I was a freo fan.

My read is that he clumsily put his foot in his mouth lsst year saying he'll look at all options or whatever his words were.

That was his hamfisted attempt to make sure they don't lowball him just because he's been injured.

He's been strongly indicating staying since... and he's learned a valuable lesson about leaving the PR and negotiating tactics stuff to his manager in the future.

In he nominates the Hawks he will be a Hawk. If the Swans can add Buddy a year after winning the flag then Fyfe can land at the club of his choice.

I think he stays but I would not rule out any club landing if he leaves.

If you're prepared to offer a 27 year old a 9 year deal, of course you'll get your man.

With 9 years to spread the payments over, it would be easy to backload the bulk of the money, therefore not impacting your presumably full salary cap much a year after a flag.

Noones disputing that he could get to hawthorn if they offered him 10 years or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn and the Saints no chance.

Carlton and Collingwood are the only two Melbourne clubs in the mix now.

That is my info anyway :grimacing:

Couldn't agree with you more.

So much so infact... that i think "having a warchest" henceforth shall be known as "having a Boyd".

As to properly designate just how overrated it is.

100% of teams with a Boyd in them also have a flag in recent memory.

Maybe st kilda should get one.

Not to continue your derailment because you don't agree with my assessment of st kilda's position

I wouldn't be overly worried if I was a freo fan.

My read is that he clumsily put his foot in his mouth lsst year saying he'll look at all options or whatever his words were.

That was his hamfisted attempt to make sure they don't lowball him just because he's been injured.

He's been strongly indicating staying since... and he's learned a valuable lesson about leaving the PR and negotiating tactics stuff to his manager in the future.
In the end he said nothing anyway.

Saying I'll be a Docker (or at any other club) for life is what can bite you in the back...

What happened between Fyfe and Mayne

They don't get along. Not entirely sure why, but I think it had something to do with the standards that Fyfe expects of his teammates. Some of the older players didn't like being dictated to by a younger player. I'm guessing that's where the rumours of players not liking Fyfe came from. I know for a fact that the younger players look up to Fyfe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back