Review Nat Fyfe.

Remove this Banner Ad

10 mins of Fyfe being Fyfe could win or turn a final for us. Worst case is a good defender is going to him and he will halve a lot more marking contests than the alternatives.

I think fans don't understand the injuries he went through, it's like we think of these guys as robots and because he has the jumper back on it means he is 100% and back to his best. He had a significant shoulder injury, a significant set back then another injury to his back, this isn't a pulled muscle or corkie, these are big career threatening injuries, he clawed his way back into the team, had a couple of good games, a couple of quiet ones, looked rusty, gave a few glimpses and then did the hammy and I thought he impacted the game Saturday but looked out of touch.

Western Bulldogs' backline is not much chop - as is evidenced by the obviously struggling Rory Lobb snagging four against them a couple of weeks ago.

But you need the cattle to expose them. I am not sure the reluckman Lobb, the rusty Fyfe and the reliably unreliable Tabs are it.

It's a shame Sturt appears to be a bust. With at least one tall to distract their tall defenders, and our four smalls to provide the pressure, Sturt could have strolled to 3 or 4 goals just because nobody knows who he is.

Rust aside, Fyfe is a champion. Champions sometimes bring their own private sun.

Let's back him in.

"Reluckman Rory Lobb" 🤣 what and apt description.

Fyfe is the most important player in these next four games in my opinion. He needs to be in the top 5 best players in all of those games for us to have a shot.
The thing with Fyfe is that far too often over his career he has been the best player & we have lost the game. The key to our success recently is not relying on any one player but each individual comes in & plays their role. We’ve moved away from effort & now rely on structure & strategy.

This year I think Fyfe has been in the best players once against St Kilda & we still won 15.5 games. Fyfe needs to come in & play his role & win his position but doesn’t need necessarily to be carrying the team like he once did. It didn’t work for Carlton & Cripps.

The thing with Fyfe is that far too often over his career he has been the best player & we have lost the game. The key to our success recently is not relying on any one player but each individual comes in & plays their role. We’ve moved away from effort & now rely on structure & strategy.

This year I think Fyfe has been in the best players once against St Kilda & we still won 15.5 games. Fyfe needs to come in & play his role & win his position but doesn’t need necessarily to be carrying the team like he once did. It didn’t work for Carlton & Cripps.
It didn't work for Carlton, it won't work for us.
It's all about the team and you can see him trying, it's just hard for a pigheaded bull of a man to change his ways, especially after 2 brownlows but you can see he is trying..😅

I'm glad the opposition probably don't rate him at the moment, and hope he surprises all of us. Glad to see so many positive posts about the man we love :purpleheart::purpleheart::purpleheart:
I don't reckon you can afford to ignore him as if it turns out he is on, he could drag us over the line against anyone. The Saints game alone is enough to keep oppos on their toes. Probably half the reason he is an automatic in, its time they can't spend on other parts of our team.

Reckon the oppo coaches have a fair bit more respect for him than some of our supporters do.

Cannot see any value in any best 22 playing at Peel this weekend. Would expect Banfield (if fit) and Tucker and Meek to go back.

Otherwise, Fyfe will be put though some heavy match sim on the weekend.

It is a career defining month for him.

I don't really view it that way. He's had such a cooked year and the way the team operates has changed so much that anything we get out of him is a bonus.

I predict that won't stop the commentary, both in match and around it, talking about Fyfe 40% of the time when really he's the 21st/22nd player on the field in terms of what we actually expect and role, with anything above that as a bonus.

Career defining for Fyfe is rounds 1-4 next year. If it starts clicking as a >50% forward he's bought himself probably another 2-3 years of playing time.

I don't really view it that way. He's had such a cooked year and the way the team operates has changed so much that anything we get out of him is a bonus.

I predict that won't stop the commentary, both in match and around it, talking about Fyfe 40% of the time when really he's the 21st/22nd player on the field in terms of what we actually expect and role, with anything above that as a bonus.

Career defining for Fyfe is rounds 1-4 next year. If it starts clicking as a >50% forward he's bought himself probably another 2-3 years of playing time.
He only needs to learn to kick straight. 🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He only needs to learn to kick straight. 🤔

Yeah which is in his head.

A Clockwork Orange Eyes GIF

It is a career defining month for him.
No it’s not. This season is a write off for Fyfe. If you look back see his deterioration back in mid December with a drip hanging off his arm the fact that he got himself up and going to be near ready start of the season was impressive. Overworked himself causing a back issue.

Might not be the player he was but he will be very different proposition with a full pre-season under his belt.

He is going play a fair bit forward because he doesn’t have the volume of pre-season behind him to play FT mid. Just watching him on Sat in the third quarter I agree with JLo that he was valuable in those centre clearances got his hands to a couple and put his body in the right position to clear a path.

With Mundy going and Fyfe having a pre-season I’d expect him to go back into the midfield with stints up forward next year.

The next month is not career defininjng but next season likely is in terms of Fyfe determining if he has the want to continue on given his lofty standards.

No it’s not. This season is a write off for Fyfe. If you look back see his deterioration back in mid December with a drip hanging off his arm the fact that he got himself up and going to be near ready start of the season was impressive. Overworked himself causing a back issue.

Might not be the player he was but he will be very different proposition with a full pre-season under his belt.

He is going play a fair bit forward because he doesn’t have the volume of pre-season behind him to play FT mid. Just watching him on Sat in the third quarter I agree with JLo that he was valuable in those centre clearances got his hands to a couple and put his body in the right position to clear a path.

With Mundy going and Fyfe having a pre-season I’d expect him to go back into the midfield with stints up forward next year.

The next month is not career defininjng but next season likely is in terms of Fyfe determining if he has the want to continue on given his lofty standards.
Thanks for the great post.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think thats an unpopular opinion in terms of team performance but would it kill you to have a little sympathy?

We are not here for feels. This is the business end of anything we are trying to achieve. Fyfe isnt part of it sadly.

Its seems crazy to me people saying Fyfe out is a good thing, some people trying to be too clever. Yeah he is out of form but he is still Fyfe, if Freo have any shot playing a grand final from 5th we needed something special. I think we are far more likely to get that from a two time brownlow medalist than Bailey Banfield or Darcy Tucker.

Freo are close to losing Logue and Acres over chump change not because of Jackson but because Fyfe is getting paid over a million next year while he has only played a handful of games this year and not played that well in any of them.

If Fyfe got paid what he is worth next year then we'd fit them all in plus Jackson.

* me some posters have short memories in here.
Nat Fyfe not being close to his best the last 3 years isn't having a short memory.

Fyfe being out is a non-issue.

Won't affect the result of this game one way or another as we obviously played our best footy this year without him in the team.

Personally I don’t care if posters think Fyfe should be or should not be in the team. It’s probably better that the hammys gone now so the coaches have time to plan without him.

The thing that pisses me off is how that’s corresponded on here & how he is virtually dismissed. The reason his body is f*cked is because he constantly played whilst injured to carry this team through some pretty crap years & often his performances were the only thing we could enjoy.

There needs to be some respect when talking about him.
Nat Fyfe is our third best ever player, I have respect for what he's done.

Maybe I move on players quicker then most but he just ain't that guy anymore folks, so I highly doubt he'd be the difference this Saturday night.

It's a damn shame Fyfee is out.
He could have created mayhem in the fwd line and been a real POD.

He was still rusty as in the Port Adelaide game and had 21D and a goal.
Then against the Saints 21D and 3 goals, 2 of the goals was great fwd positioning and marks, and the other was him just bulldozing the opposition, it must be like facing a Tsunami.

Swans kept him quiet. No doubt they put some work into him.

Then against Richmond before he got injured I think he had 2 contested marks in the 50, one a strong lead out of the goal square( its seemed ages since one of our tall fwds has done that basic move) and then the other mark was a great running pattern under pressure.
They may have been our only 2 contested marks in the fwd fifty for the game.

Nat was building nicely and has all the tools to be a dangerous fwd, the kicking for goal has improved heaps as well, much more consistent action.

When he got tunneled in the Giants game it looked bad, couldn't even stand up.

Whether he gets back this year or next, we are much improved with him firing in the fwd line. He just seems a way smarter fwd than our other talls.
Hopefully he can get the back and hamies sorted and get another few years of games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back