Nat Fyfe

Remove this Banner Ad

Morabito will get a run and also I think you will see Buca as well as Ruffles in 2010 to debut. Quite an exciting trio! I look forward to a full pre season into players like Hill and Suban as well as the continued development of Mayne.

Very nice group of youngsters. I am going to go out on a limb and say that Keplar is going to have his best year and REALLY prove tremendous value for us. It would be So sweet for him to prove the critics wrong!:D

I assume you meant Chris Hall (Chips having already debuted)?

I'm not so sure about big Kep myself. Hopefully, if MJ and Sandi can stay fit, and Pav can stay forward, there won't be as much need for Kep to be anything more than a useful utility/depth player.

I am looking froward to seeing if Shep can continue to develop in the WAFL like he did in the second half of last year. If one of Shep, Fyfe or Buco could develop over the next 18 months to two years, it would ease the pressure on our KPP stocks a bit I think.

Does he play a similar role to Ballantyne/Mayne?

Is there room for all 3 in our forward line?

Too sooon to say IMHO. But, even if he does play like Chopper and Frodo, I'd have thought there would be room for all 3 if form warrants - especially with the relatively high rotation game that seems to be developing in forward line structures.

Morabito will get a run and also I think you will see Buca as well as Ruffles in 2010 to debut. Quite an exciting trio! I look forward to a full pre season into players like Hill and Suban as well as the continued development of Mayne.

Very nice group of youngsters. I am going to go out on a limb and say that Keplar is going to have his best year and REALLY prove tremendous value for us. It would be So sweet for him to prove the critics wrong!:D
if kepler is gunna prove good value for us.by jesus he should be training hard on his kicking skills, especially at pace.at times he made me cringe at how unco he can be.

Does he play a similar role to Ballantyne/Mayne?

Is there room for all 3 in our forward line?

Yes he does Sabre but IMO he is better at kicking on the turn that both and I think a better prospect than both. I see Mayne as a third forward - he has the pace off the mark and the strength to do that, whereas Fyfe will be a drifting HFF in the vein of James Hird / Paul Chapman / Brett Burton.

Is there room for all three? maybe not (Thought had occurred), although the forward lines of the Cats and the Pies would suggest maybe there is. I think the likely move might be for Mayne to play as a more general utility, or for Ballantyne to not play at all. I still feel we are missing a piece or three in the forward line, but maybe that is in the main because we haven't been able to play Pavlich down there, and that we are still missing another tall forward that is actually dangerous.

Why? Why not play the new crop if form warrants? Why is it you are willing to give Morabito game time but not the others?

I think for me it is mainly because of the status of our list. We are clearly rebuilding, and only an unrealistic finals contender. We also have quite a few hardened players (especially tall players which is a significant weakness for us) who sit on the periphery of the best 22 along the lines of Solomon, Smokey, Bradley, Murphy, Grover and Thornton.

In terms of smaller players, we have plenty coming through from last year, plus a couple coming back from injury. Great opportunity for them of them to get an extended run in the team this year.

At this stage Mora is the only one looking like he'll be forcing the door open as a regular in the team. Others may debut. Plus I think we need Pavlich forward as much as possible, and Mora helps do that.

At this stage Mora is the only one looking like he'll be forcing the door open as a regular in the team. Others may debut. Plus I think we need Pavlich forward as much as possible, and Mora helps do that.

I think you're right as far as this years recruits go, Mora will certainly become the new 'Look! Fremantle is rebuilding' poster boy. If Pavlich moves back to a permanent forward line role, Morabito essentially takes his spot. McPhee/Mundy will need to do some of the heavy lifting initially, as the big bodied midfielders, but it's the most obvious move.

Fyfe will get his opportunities - as Mayne did in his first season - but he doesn't have a role opening up for him like Morabito seems to.

Rather than Mora, I think McPhee is the one who will allow Pav to be permanently forward.

This year will differ from last year in that none of the new crop will play every game. Mora will debut and play a few but last year was rare for debutants.

Yes he does Sabre but IMO he is better at kicking on the turn that both and I think a better prospect than both. I see Mayne as a third forward - he has the pace off the mark and the strength to do that, whereas Fyfe will be a drifting HFF in the vein of James Hird / Paul Chapman / Brett Burton.

Is there room for all three? maybe not (Thought had occurred), although the forward lines of the Cats and the Pies would suggest maybe there is. I think the likely move might be for Mayne to play as a more general utility, or for Ballantyne to not play at all. I still feel we are missing a piece or three in the forward line, but maybe that is in the main because we haven't been able to play Pavlich down there, and that we are still missing another tall forward that is actually dangerous.

That certainly caused my heart to skip a beat, I'd hate to think we are loading up again on utility jack of all trade master of none types.

Though in today's game mobile forwards who can push into hte midfield seem to be all the rage...So I maintain hope

We are clearly missing the Gorrilla but we have a history of that.

I think I like the Fyfe's apparent ability to do the impossible, Mayne doesn't strike me as that type and I haven't been impressed with Ballantyne as yet.

I haven't been impressed with Ballantyne as yet.

Sabre, you need to get in touch with your inner bogan in order to truly appreciate Balla's.

All things going well, there is no reason we couldn't set up like this late in 2010-

HF Mayne Pavlich Morabito
F Ballantyne MJ Fyfe

Now there is a forward line which could do absolutely anything.

This year will differ from last year in that none of the new crop will play every game. Mora will debut and play a few but last year was rare for debutants.

Wouldn't surprise me if Mora played every game this year, or near enough to it.

I reckon he'd have to look completely out of his depth not to play most of the season. He won't have to star Palmer style but if he can get at least 8-12 possessions most weeks he'll keep his spot IMO.

We have a lot to gain by fast tracking his experience asap.

Sabre, you need to get in touch with your inner bogan in order to truly appreciate Balla's.

All things going well, there is no reason we couldn't set up like this late in 2010-

F Ballantyne MJ Fyfe

MJ? Surely not the Micheal Johnson who has kicked 20 goals in 5yrs ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MJ? Surely not the Micheal Johnson who has kicked 20 goals in 5yrs ?

Nah, the Michael Johnson who kicked 8 goals and took 51 marks in 10 games playing as a defender then ruck/fwd in 2009. All he needs to do is provide an alternative target to Pavlich and create a contest for our smalls.

Ballantyne would play midfield if worst comes to worst. I'm sure they drafted him knowing he had the capability to do that, and I think he can.

MJ played very well in the forward line this year before being injured, IMO. And I'm not his biggest fan, at all.

Ballantyne would play midfield if worst comes to worst. I'm sure they drafted him knowing he had the capability to do that, and I think he can.

He certainly could play in the midfield. It really comes down to, why you would want him to. He's potentially a 40-50 goal a year small forward.

MJ played very well in the forward line this year before being injured, IMO. And I'm not his biggest fan, at all.

I'd pretty much given up on MJ heading into '09. Now though, I'd certainly give him first crack at FF. Firstly, because he did it better than anyone else last season. Secondly, it would allow us to play an extra runner/midfielder instead of Bradley. Finally, if Clarke started getting games the team structure wouldn't need to change.

F Ballantyne MJ Fyfe

Or at least it would have great mullets.

Nah, the Michael Johnson who kicked 8 goals and took 51 marks in 10 games playing as a defender then ruck/fwd in 2009. All he needs to do is provide an alternative target to Pavlich and create a contest for our smalls.

MJ forward makes us look so much more versatile, so long as he sis playing in a series of possies across half forward and the pockets. As a stationary one out marking forward he's not quite the same threat I reckon.

No, you're not. must be his failure to do you a solid.

He certainly could play in the midfield. It really comes down to, why you would want him to. He's potentially a 40-50 goal a year small forward.

I'd pretty much given up on MJ heading into '09. Now though, I'd certainly give him first crack at FF. Firstly, because he did it better than anyone else last season. Secondly, it would allow us to play an extra runner/midfielder instead of Bradley. Finally, if Clarke started getting games the team structure wouldn't need to change.

Do you mean MJ as a stationary forward from the pocket? Or as a rotating long leading forward? 'Cause I think MJ might struggle as a stationary forward (whereas a resting Sandi, or a resting Clarke, would be great). I do agree that MJ Clarke ans Sandi in our side fits well, and makes us so much more versatile and hard to defend. The sooner we can get all three in our first 22 the better...

That certainly caused my heart to skip a beat, I'd hate to think we are loading up again on utility jack of all trade master of none types.

Though in today's game mobile forwards who can push into hte midfield seem to be all the rage...So I maintain hope

We are clearly missing the Gorrilla but we have a history of that.

I think I like the Fyfe's apparent ability to do the impossible, Mayne doesn't strike me as that type and I haven't been impressed with Ballantyne as yet.
How can you not have been impressed with Ballantyne?Ballantyne, will boot 35 plus goals next yr.He will keep developing and will become one of the danger small forwards of the comp.

Same could be said about Lecras, but it seems the Eagles are keen for him to move into the middle.

IMO, a midfielder who can kick 20+ goals a year is more dangerous than a small forward that can kick around 40-50.

they will only use him(frodo)through midfield to cover for injuries or when hes struggling to get into the game.
He has the ability to play through there for short periods but much more valuable as a small forward that can help create space for other forwards and provide options other than Pav plus he can get to the contests to pick up scraps and use his acceleration to get clear.

If ballantyne has learnt how to mark the ball with arms out front instead of just chest marks on the lead he will be that 50+ goals small forward.

Eagles want lecras to play more midfield because hes a better midfielder than alot of the other options they have.
Plus with Worsfold his main priorities are midfield an defense get them sorted out an forward line will just do enough to get the job done.

Im sure if they had better midfield options they would keep lecras in forward line.
But defense an midfield are Worsfolds main priority.

IMO a midfielder who can kick 20+ goals a year (Palmer).
+ Small forward who can kick 40+ goals a year(balllantyne) is better than 2 midfielders who can kick 20+ goals a year each (Palmer + Ballantyne).

F Ballantyne MJ Fyfe

They could be absolutely anything, but for mine that mixture is too big. They are all mobile, and there is pace but Fyfe, Mayne and Morabito are borderline KPP size. I would be wanting to fit Walters or a player around his size into a pocket, and keep Morabito up on a wing.

How can you not have been impressed with Ballantyne?Ballantyne, will boot 35 plus goals next yr.He will keep developing and will become one of the danger small forwards of the comp.

And when he does that it would be a good time to be impressed with himA fair few posters on here were impressed with Collard's debut (indeed, his entire AFL career!).

The biggest issue for the club has been player development. We are going to get a fantastic opportunity to see if that has been turned around over the next couple of seasons.

If ballantyne has learnt how to mark the ball with arms out front instead of just chest marks on the lead he will be that 50+ goals small forward.

What with player taking chest marks? I get totally pissed off, especially when I see forwards do that. Seems for the vids that Fyfe does the same thing.

By the way, I think that not picking Stevens or Bastinac or Carlisle was a mistake. Fyfe lacks the pace and will be another Ryan Murphy. Anybody looks when it is lace out but defensive pressure and second/third efforts is more important.

Fyfe will definitely pay dividends for the freo football club in the future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back