News Nathan Bassett Departs

Remove this Banner Ad

Decent cricketer too apparently.

Scott Bassett....a memorable first game minding the pine against Collingwood, 0 game time. I only remember this because I was watching the game from Alice Springs and we won by a point. That's pretty much all I can remember of him even though he was on the list for 6 years. Has he had ANYthing to do with the club since then?

Scott Bassett....a memorable first game minding the pine against Collingwood, 0 game time. I only remember this because I was watching the game from Alice Springs and we won by a point. That's pretty much all I can remember of him even though he was on the list for 6 years. Has he had ANYthing to do with the club since then?
can he ruck?

He is my buddy for 2016. I'm not sure, after that horrible display of defensive team structure, that I can defend him.

Worst whole ground defensive structure I've seen since Mr.primus.

Please rip into him. I'll stand to the side this week

He is my buddy for 2016. I'm not sure, after that horrible display of defensive team structure, that I can defend him.

Worst whole ground defensive structure I've seen since Mr.primus.

Please rip into him. I'll stand to the side this week
Hinkley would have a big say in what he wants to do to fit it into the overall game plan. At Norwood he control 100% of the game plan so his defence tactics fitted in with everything else.

Apparently he told invited guests at a "meet the coaches" night before round 1, how we would be instituting a high press with our defenders on the side of the ground where the ball is located. The midfielders are supposed to sweep from the other side of the ground to provide the backup in defence. Something is not being adhered to correctly.

Probably true in a sense. But there has been a massive shift in our defensive setup since Bassett arrived so I'm sure it would be partly due to his influence.

Apparently he told invited guests at a "meet the coaches" night before round 1, how we would be instituting a high press with our defenders on the side of the ground where the ball is located. The midfielders are supposed to sweep from the other side of the ground to provide the backup in defence. Something is not being adhered to correctly.
I wonder how long it took Norwood to learn his systems.

I wonder how long it took Norwood to learn his systems.
they lost the first 4 games but went on to win the flag. people really need to forget what he did at norwood, its totally irrelevant, what he did at norwood was take the mega flood defensive structures of the mid 2000s era west coast, sydney, crows under craig where he played and employed that same negative plan to the sanfl. saw alot of norwood in that era and it was horrible negative slopball. i do remember a norwood v eagles game where there was no score for a quarter, not 1 single point was kicked....it worked well copying that ultra negative flood of the afl sides of the mid 2000s era in the sanfl when he coached, but has zero relevance to an afl side in 2016.

they lost the first 4 games but went on to win the flag. people really need to forget what he did at norwood, its totally irrelevant, what he did at norwood was take the mega flood defensive structures of the mid 2000s era west coast, sydney, crows under craig where he played and employed that same negative plan to the sanfl. saw alot of norwood in that era and it was horrible negative slopball. i do remember a norwood v eagles game where there was no score for a quarter, not 1 single point was kicked....it worked well copying that ultra negative flood of the afl sides of the mid 2000s era in the sanfl when he coached, but has zero relevance to an afl side in 2016.
Yeah, apologies, I meant in how good a teacher his he.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hes been here for what 2 minutes? As much as I think the coaching panel has serious issues, I don't think he deserves s**t just yet.

The team as a whole are defending space, they're not defending. That's not his fault

Hes been here for what 2 minutes? As much as I think the coaching panel has serious issues, I don't think he deserves s**t just yet.

The team as a whole are defending space, they're not defending. That's not his fault

Oh ok then.

The defensive tactics aren't the defensive coaches fault. Gotcha!

Oh ok then.

Other than kick-ins (which is really attack anyway), which defensive tactics have been particularly awful?

Oh ok then.

Isn't he the coach of the defensive unit, the back 6? In the same way nicks is responsible for the forwards, and voss is the midfield manager

I'm not sure how that makes him responsible for the entire teams desire to defend huge swathes of grass

I didn't say he's doing a great job, just that he shouldn't be the one facing pointed fingers... Yet

The defence has its issues, but the problem is more the midfield, which is the responsibility of Voss and Hocking. Fix the midfield and I suspect the defence will look slightly better.
The defence as a unit actually held their shape pretty well when pressing last night. I can't remember an obvious Joe the goose, either.

The defence as a unit actually held their shape pretty well when pressing last night. I can't remember an obvious Joe the goose, either.
They did well under a lot of pressure. The only issues that need some fixing are:

1. The way we clear the ball from defence from kick ins and contested situations. We bomb to contests rather than looking for short options. We need to clear smarter.
2. Personnel. Jonas is still one slow player too many in our defence. I would rather have a quicker player with good disposal in that spot, such as Krakouer. This would help with point 1.

Edit: point 1 above could be somewhat helped by midfielders running into space and creating short options. Their failure to do this is not on Bassett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back