News Nathan Bassett Departs

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't he singled out and thanked by a few Essendon players at your B&F? But I agree, I'd rather him coach the backlines/midfield rather than forwards.
Maybe, but from what I've seen his forward structures and strategies aren't conducive to scoring heavily.

Hopefully he gets the midfield gig. Nicks is doing well enough with the defenders to justify holding his spot, and Bassett's defensive nous should make a big difference to our midfield which was shithouse defensively all year.

This is one of the most important decisions made going into 2016 if we are hoping to make a proper bid for the flag once again, along with the acquisition of Dixon and retention of Schulz.

2013 we had Richo challenging Ken, 2014 we had Walsh - two men we know are both outspoken and not afraid to challenge their main man. It's no coincidence that a lack of tactical nous in the coach's box this year also happened to see a steep decline in performance. Kenny is a great coach, but every great coach needs a right hand man to bounce off of, who will challenge them and won't be afraid to question their decisions.

Bassett is absolutely this man, he is no yes man - he will not be afraid to speak up to Kenny and let him know if he thinks he's doing something wrong. I predict some real chemistry between these two hard-headed men and Bassett will play a big part in reinvigorating Kenny, who has often looked bored and reserved in the box this year, a real disappointment considering last year we could be seven goals up and Kern would still be punching holes in walls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back