News Nathan Bassett Departs

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to admit to being of the opinion that Bassett was from the Neil Cwaig school of zero personality, but he spoke very well in that interview, which was entertaining, as well as informative. :thumbsu:

I particularly liked his numerous references to the big bodies in the midfield, which he regularly followed up with a big :).

What I like most about Bassett is that he seems to be very hard to please. Had a great win? Great, now move on and do it again next week. Nobody is going to be getting ahead of themselves if he has anything to do with it.

When Bassett was a commentator on AA he was right across Port's list and the problems with our game style. He's a very shrewd operator and astute football analyst. I was very happy when he was appointed. He tells it like it is, be that to the media or individual players.

Moving to Essendon and the whole saga put him back a bit as far as Head Coaching roles.

If we have a really good season, I'd expect him to be mentioned as a potential Head Coach again.

Quality player, coach and bloke.

Moving to Essendon and the whole saga put him back a bit as far as Head Coaching roles.

If we have a really good season, I'd expect him to be mentioned as a potential Head Coach again.

Quality player, coach and bloke.

Don't go overboard...
In fairness, he may have "matured"...

I hope KT has him on some clandestine succession plan. Fortunately, Bassett is a smart guy who won't jump onto a senior coaching job that doesn't fit or before he believes he's ready. Hopefully he's happy to hang around for a few more years and learn as much as he can as an assistant, and by that time we may be looking for a new senior coach.

#notdeathridingken
#justdontwanttolosebassett

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope KT has him on some clandestine succession plan. Fortunately, Bassett is a smart guy who won't jump onto a senior coaching job that doesn't fit or before he believes he's ready. Hopefully he's happy to hang around for a few more years and learn as much as he can as an assistant, and by that time we may be looking for a new senior coach.

#notdeathridingken
#justdontwanttosebassett

Never go Tose Bassett

The defence this bloke has moulded in his 2.5 years at Port is developing brilliantly.

Young back lines, like ours, are not meant to be as solid and reliable as ours has become - the conventional wisdom has always been that defenders all need to play together for a number of years before they are ready to play at the level that our backs are achieving.

Four of our back 6 (Clurey, Bonner, Howard and Byrne-Jones have each played under 60 games).

He has made some tough calls, like forcing Jacko out of defence, but he has a clear vision of the players and style he wants to teach defenders and is ruthless in achieving it.

I know he has his critics on this board - I am certainly not one of them.

The Crows think they deserve Bassett and Goodwin now...
Bassett ain't going anywhere unless it's as a senior coach until those sort of offers eventuate he'll be pretty happy at a real club environment.. He seems more detached from the Crows emotionally than any past player of a club I can think of but maybe that's just his nature who knows.

Bassett ain't going anywhere unless it's as a senior coach until those sort of offers eventuate he'll be pretty happy at a real club environment.. He seems more detached from the Crows emotionally than any past player of a club I can think of but maybe that's just his nature who knows.

He's an odd cat apparently, Jonas talks about him glowingly. I still think he can succeed Ken, and wouldn't be surprised if KT got him there with that in mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back