News Nathan Bassett Departs

Remove this Banner Ad

If Shaun Hart, Michael Voss & Garry Hocking along with ken Hinkley cannot create a winning midfield what hope is there for inferior outfits like the crowbots?

If Shaun Hart, Michael Voss & Garry Hocking along with ken Hinkley cannot create a winning midfield what hope is there for inferior outfits like the crowbots?
There is something seriously wrong if we can't. Our players have excellent footy department support, I think they have the talent also, so as long as injuries don't decimate, surely we are well and truly back in finals this year. I can't stand the Crows. Actually I despise them with every thread of my being, as most of them do us, but even I have to admit they have done well with their drafting and trading when you look at the Triggy sanctions they endured.

I'm huge on gameplan suiting a list rather than just trying to execute a gameplan because it's worked somewhere else in the past. A gameplan must be designed specifically with the strengths and weaknesses of the players and list as a whole in mind. I'm frankly worried we are (supposedly) trying to mimic the hawks in their disposal and surgical movement. I don't think this suits our list. We have too many with average at best disposal by foot.

Happy to be wrong.
Kenny agrees with you
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...eir-own-draftees/story-fnia6ojc-1227622854464
POWER coach Ken Hinkley will stay on his own path and resist one of football’s oldest temptations: to try to copy what the premiers did the previous season.
He suggested Hawthorn was unique in its setup and almost impossible to copy. “We (the other clubs) haven’t been able to copy them very well, because they’ve won three in a row,” Hinkley said. “(But) I always say you coach to your list, and you coach to your squad.

“Clarko has got an elite squad that uses and kicks the ball really well. I’m sure he uses that, along with an amazing amount of experience. “They take the field at about 28 years of age, on average, and pushing up to about 170 or 180 games average played. “That’s one of their key ingredients but they’ve been together for a long time. That’s something that other clubs have to work at, to get to there.

“But I don’t believe you go and copy what one side is doing well, because you might not have the personnel to do the same stuff.”
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...eir-own-draftees/story-fnia6ojc-1227622854464

Craigy the most dull man ever.

If you mean charisma-wise, then I think the new bloke at West Lakes may give Craig a run for his money. Walshy didn't have a media profile before he emerged as Crows coach, but don't expect any similar metamorphosis from Don Whatsisname.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Insightful article on Nathan Bassett in today's tiser, mainly because it is mostly based on quotes from Nathan. If you can get past the paywall it is worth a read. I find going straight from Google to the article in a private window works well. ;)

1ecf07055dfb1dd6119d83214c137133

Nathan Bassett finds a home with Port Adelaide

Nathan talks about being at Port

“I did do a pre-season with Port, and my brother was here for six years, so I know quite a few people through that era,” he said.
“It’s just the way it ends up.
“I’m enjoying the people here, they’re certainly very passionate who are feeling good direction in the way the footy club is heading.”

Why he came to Port

He insists it was the job and the chance to work under Ken Hinkley which drew him to Alberton far more than any lure of returning to Adelaide.
“And I thought working with Ken and the rest of the coaching team was a great opportunity. It was too good an opportunity to miss.
“I’d spoken to Ken a couple of times in the past, I knew people who worked with him at Geelong, some of the players here had said great things about him.

His coaching at Norwood

Then as a coach in his four years at Norwood he implemented a zone-based defensive game-style which strangled the opposition and then put them to the sword.
Other SANFL teams had flooded before but Bassett orchestrated highly-organised zones all over the ground which made it hard for the opposition to attack and even harder for them to escape their defence.

His one in all in philosophy (OneClub)

A raft of players were drafted under his watch and he trained all three grades from league to under-18s to understand his game plan so if one player went down, another stepped in.
“I learnt how to impart a gamestyle that people could see — whether people like it or not, bad luck — they could see it and it worked well. I had to learn how to train it and make it instinctive for the playing group,” he said.

How he is still learning

Bassett, 38, is on a continual pathway of learning as a coach.
Having spent the past two years at Essendon, which was engulfed by the supplements saga, he has returned to SA as an assistant coach at Port Adelaide.
“We’re in a good place at Port where the conversations are open and frank and honest, (and) I’m getting great feedback on how to improve as a coach,” he said.

He sums up his time at Essendon

“Five years of coaching experience into two,” he says of his time at Windy Hill.

Insightful article on Nathan Bassett in today's tiser, mainly because it is mostly based on quotes from Nathan. If you can get past the paywall it is worth a read. I find going straight from Google to the article in a private window works well. ;)

1ecf07055dfb1dd6119d83214c137133

Nathan Bassett finds a home with Port Adelaide

Nathan talks about being at Port

Why he came to Port

His coaching at Norwood

His one in all in philosophy (OneClub)

How he is still learning

He sums up his time at Essendon
If what Ken says is true, and the players were getting confused with to many mixed or complicated messages I'm hoping they will utilise Bassett's ability to get his clear message through to the players and simplify it.

KT's comments on Adelaide Now about the coaching panel last year are interesting. Instructions to players too complicated. Too much focus on stoppages and the Vossy and Carr factor perhaps. It's good the coaches have taken some of the heat. I don't really like him telling the whole comp publicly what our game plan is for next season though ;(

Not going to lie, i genuinely thought Bassett was a massive flog at the Crows and Norwood. Now i'm starting to really like him, it can't be just the change in colours? Can it?

Would love to hear his honest thoughts about what went down at Essendon.

Would love to hear his honest thoughts about what went down at Essendon.

Yeah, it's a bit of a disgrace that Bassett has been here for a few days and our social media team haven't released a comprehensive coverage of what Bassett said went down at Essendon. Lift your game Ports.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a bit of a disgrace that Bassett has been here for a few days and our social media team haven't released a comprehensive coverage of what Bassett said went down at Essendon. Lift your game Ports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back