Retired Nathan Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm seriously looking forward to finally seeing a St Kilda side with the size in defence to reign in big opposition key forwards. Since I've been following football we've been undersized except for that brief, beautiful period when we had Luke Penny shutting down the FF, Matt Maguire taking on the CHF while making him pay on the rebound and Max Hudghton making the next best forward completely irrelevant. Here's hoping Brown, Carlisle and Dempster can replicate that in 2017.

I'm seriously looking forward to finally seeing a St Kilda side with the size in defence to reign in big opposition key forwards. Since I've been following football we've been undersized except for that brief, beautiful period when we had Luke Penny shutting down the FF, Matt Maguire taking on the CHF while making him pay on the rebound and Max Hudghton making the next best forward completely irrelevant. Here's hoping Brown, Carlisle and Dempster can replicate that in 2017.
On paper we stack up against the best/bigger forward lines very nicely.

Adelaide:
Walker- Brown
Jenkins- Carlisle
Lynch- Dempster

GWS:
Cameron- Dempster (with assistance or switch with Jakey?)
Lobb- Carlisle
Patton- Brown

North:
Wood- Dempster
Waite- Brown
Brown- Carlisle

WCE:
Kennedy- Brown
Darling- Dempster
McGovern/resting ruck- Carlisle

GC:
Lynch- Brown
Wright- Carlisle
Day- Dempster

St Kilda:
McCartin- Brown
Bruce- Carlisle
Membery- Dempster

There's just a few examples, some match ups you could easily switch around but just trying to show how much better we look structurally. Especially when you consider we had Fisher, Gilbert and Dempster playing as KPD's regularly in games this season. Massive improvement.

One from the '80's.

Alex Marcou.

309rpdi.jpg

Surely that bloke would have qualified.

I'm impressed. Even if he never plays a game I feel like he'd still bring a lot to our club, particularly Hugh etc.

I was happy with the signing before, absolutely stoked now.

A few good things to pick up on from the interview:
- Leadership group last few years at Pies
- Expressing a desire to improve
- Good vibe and knowledge that current Saints are on a journey
- He's 27/28, still relatively young

This could be an awesome signing for us. What a cracker by the recruitment team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few good things to pick up on from the interview:
- Leadership group last few years at Pies
- Expressing a desire to improve
- Good vibe and knowledge that current Saints are on a journey
- He's 27/28, still relatively young

This could be an awesome signing for us. What a cracker by the recruitment team.
I was pretty surprised that the man that Collingwood are replacing him with is actually two years older. I mean I know Lynden Dunn has the name of a 90 year old man but I thought he was an upcoming Defender - turns out he's closer to retirement than the man he's replacing. That's great work Derek!

I was pretty surprised that the man that Collingwood are replacing him with is actually two years older. I mean I know Lynden Dunn has the name of a 90 year old man but I thought he was an upcoming Defender - turns out he's closer to retirement than the man he's replacing. That's great work Derek!
More Titus gold :D

041426F8-8EE6-4BCC-8BD8-912B2E10B667.jpg

I think this a really seredipitous pickup.

Saints were looking for a key back without diluting much on picks and Brown was out of favour with Bucks.

In the end, 2016 pies implosion was primarily due to shitty zone defense by Bucks which relied on a midfield being dominant. Obviously, defenders were going to be exposed.

Brown will perform really well with a gameplan that actually works!

I think this a really seredipitous pickup.

Saints were looking for a key back without diluting much on picks and Brown was out of favour with Bucks.

In the end, 2016 pies implosion was primarily due to shitty zone defense by Bucks which relied on a midfield being dominant. Obviously, defenders were going to be exposed.

Brown will perform really well with a gameplan that actually works!

A feeling of ambivalence from me re Brown's departure, and to be honest his past few years. At times he was fantastic, shutting down good players and offering some drive. At others he looked very slow, and his kicking was awful. So on the one hand I am sad that another premiership player, one who can go with big forwards, is leaving. On the other I don't have to look away when he has the ball in one back pocket and is about to chip a twenty metre high, twenty metre long pass back to the corridor.

Hope he works out okay for you.

A feeling of ambivalence from me re Brown's departure, and to be honest his past few years. At times he was fantastic, shutting down good players and offering some drive. At others he looked very slow, and his kicking was awful. So on the one hand I am sad that another premiership player, one who can go with big forwards, is leaving. On the other I don't have to look away when he has the ball in one back pocket and is about to chip a twenty metre high, twenty metre long pass back to the corridor.

Hope he works out okay for you.
Hopefully his departure means you have no one to stand next to Paddy Mac :p

Eight months ago they were parked deep inside 50 at the MCG, wrestling for position. Now, Josh Bruce and Nathan Brown go to work on each other every day in match simulation and it’s a test the St Kilda key forward relishes.

After years matched up on Sam Fisher and Sean Dempster at Linen House Centre, the arrival of the former Collingwood premiership full-back has provided Bruce with a fresh assignment.

“Browny’s going really well, I’m playing on him week-in, week-out. It’s really good for me because obviously he’s a really quality defender,” Bruce told reporters at a press conference on Wednesday.

“Guys like Nathan Brown and Koby Stevens have been setting the standard at training, so it’s been really good,” Bruce said.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-12-21/bruce-relishes-new-training-partner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back