Retired Nathan Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Brown has been a stalwart in defence since crossing from the ‘Pies in 2016, his big-bodied presence a handy addition to the Saints’ defensive line-up.

The 29-year-old brings over 150 games’ experience to an otherwise relatively young backline, and his leadership and shutdown style would help negate the Giants’ threatening forward line.

Go Saints

Big-bodied key defender Nathan Brown has been immediately recalled to the senior side after a minor hamstring strain sidelined him for three weeks.

The 29-year-old’s aggression in the air coupled with his significant experience is a welcome addition to the Saints’ defensive line-up as it aims to negate the Giants’ threatening forward setup.

Go Saints

Key defender Nathan Brown has re-signed with St Kilda until the end of 2019.

The 29-year-old has been one of the Saints’ most consistent performers over the past two seasons since joining the club from Collingwood as a free agent.

Teaming with Jake Carlisle in the key defensive posts, Brown has been one of the mainstays of St Kilda’s back six, playing every game in 2017.

A strong start to the 2018 season followed where he played every game up until Round 9, before a minor knee injury put an end to his run of consecutive games.

READ: Phillips signs on

General Manager of Football Simon Lethlean said Brown added much-needed experience to the Saints line-up.

“You know what you are going to get with Nathan Brown every single week,” Lethlean said.

“He regularly plays on the opposition’s best forward and has set a high standard of consistency since joining the Saints at the end of 2016.

“While not in our leadership group, he is a highly respected member of the playing group and is performing a key role in helping develop our young defenders.”

Go Saints

St Kilda defender Nathan Brown will miss the remainder of the year after he was suspended for three games for his bump that concussed Essendon speedster Adam Saad.

The suspension means he will also miss the start of the Saints' 2019 season.

Brown had pleaded not guilty to intentionally engaging in rough conduct with Saad in an effort to reduce the grading to careless and thus earn only a two-match suspension.

However, the Tribunal deliberated for just nine minutes before upholding Match Review Officer Michael Christian's grading, before handing Brown a three-match ban that will end his campaign.

"I wholeheartedly accept the findings of the Tribunal tonight and thank them for their time," Brown said afterwards.

"Again, I apologise to Adam and his family. Hopefully he can take the field for Essendon this week."

In pleading not guilty, Brown said his Saints teammates were making "little to no ground" on Saad and that he believed he had to "somehow slow Adam" so he didn't regain the ball.

"My sole intent was to stop Adam from following up the ball," he said at the witness stand.

That evidence was supported by the officiating umpire, Jacob Mollison, who said it was his belief that Saad could "absolutely" still influence the play before being bumped by Brown.

But the AFL's legal counsel Jeff Gleeson QC told the Tribunal that the ball was "considerably" more than 5m away at the time of impact, also arguing that Brown had a clear view of Saad and could have avoided contact altogether had he tried to do so.

The Tribunal wasted little time in finding Brown guilty of intentionally engaging in rough conduct, taking a further two minutes to hand down a three-match suspension.

Go Saints

St Kilda defender Nathan Brown will miss the remainder of the year after he was suspended for three games for his bump that concussed Essendon speedster Adam Saad.

The suspension means he will also miss the start of the Saints' 2019 season.

Brown had pleaded not guilty to intentionally engaging in rough conduct with Saad in an effort to reduce the grading to careless and thus earn only a two-match suspension.

However, the Tribunal deliberated for just nine minutes before upholding Match Review Officer Michael Christian's grading, before handing Brown a three-match ban that will end his campaign.

"I wholeheartedly accept the findings of the Tribunal tonight and thank them for their time," Brown said afterwards.

"Again, I apologise to Adam and his family. Hopefully he can take the field for Essendon this week."

In pleading not guilty, Brown said his Saints teammates were making "little to no ground" on Saad and that he believed he had to "somehow slow Adam" so he didn't regain the ball.

"My sole intent was to stop Adam from following up the ball," he said at the witness stand.

That evidence was supported by the officiating umpire, Jacob Mollison, who said it was his belief that Saad could "absolutely" still influence the play before being bumped by Brown.

But the AFL's legal counsel Jeff Gleeson QC told the Tribunal that the ball was "considerably" more than 5m away at the time of impact, also arguing that Brown had a clear view of Saad and could have avoided contact altogether had he tried to do so.

The Tribunal wasted little time in finding Brown guilty of intentionally engaging in rough conduct, taking a further two minutes to hand down a three-match suspension.

Go Saints
pity the Afl has two rules for the haves and the have nots. So Brownly allows Saad to run past him and get a return handpass/short kic
the umps said Saad could still effect play,, i also remember reading last twitter feed where Gleeson , said Saad , had not seen Browny,
because Saad has poor awareness , browny TRIAL BY MEDIA decisions made b4 hearing

What a bloody circus (and that's the nice word). Two weeks is "manifestly inadequate" when pushing for three? Someone give that idiot a dictionary. "It wasn't a deliberate snipe" but it was intentional conduct? That's before you even compare the other acts that got less weeks this year. So much for clearing up the tribunal system this year.

AFL looking for a story to get Gaff off the back page so they railroad Brown. If it was a protected bloody species like Franklin or Selwood it wouldn't even have gone to tribunal.

What a bloody circus (and that's the nice word). Two weeks is "manifestly inadequate" when pushing for three? Someone give that idiot a dictionary. "It wasn't a deliberate snipe" but it was intentional conduct? That's before you even compare the other acts that got less weeks this year. So much for clearing up the tribunal system this year.

AFL looking for a story to get Gaff off the back page so they railroad Brown. If it was a protected bloody species like Franklin or Selwood it wouldn't even have gone to tribunal.
thanks
t the umps said he was still in play
saad did not prepare for contact
Gleeson says there are a few factors that suggests the bump was intentional:
- He says Brown had a clear view of Saad.
- He says Brown admitted that he "could have" avoided the contact entirely.
- He says Brown knew both he and his opponent were running at full pace.
- He says that if you look at the vision, it's clear Saad didn't know Brown was coming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointed triggering bro , was expecting to find some bench press stats for Naffan here. I will keep an eye out for some in coming days

FabulousAntiqueHackee-max-1mb.gif

‘Age is just a number’, as the old adage goes.

And for veteran Nathan Brown, the expression couldn’t be any more relevant heading into his 12th season of senior football.

The 30-year-old has become one of the Saints’ most impressive figures on the training track, turning back the clock with his ability to push himself that little bit further.

“This pre-season more than any other – and I don’t know whether it’s because I’ve just recently turned 30 and you think your career’s coming to an end – it’s like I’ve got nothing to lose,” Brown told saints.com.au.

“I’ve got less years than I have more left in my career, so I’ve just tried to throw the shackles off and loosen up and try to do something different.”

But putting a cap on his capabilities due to his age has never been on the radar for Brown.

In fact, he’s done the complete opposite.

What started as extra running sessions in the pre-season has now become an obsessive habit, which has rejuvenated the hardened defender’s career.

As well as the running, Brown’s newfound routine of boxing sessions to channel aggression and drop skinfolds has the big man in career-best nick.

“The way things go is when you hit 30, everyone thinks you slow down and you’re just hanging on. But my body feels great, so why can’t I do something new?” Brown said.

That’s why I took that approach. Why do I have to coast when I can feel great and come back fit and try and press further and break through the ceiling that’s been placed on me?”

While his physical transformation is obvious, the mental shift has been just as formative for his new perspective.

“If I had stayed at the ‘Pies, I maybe could have finished up one or two years ago, but coming across to St Kilda and feeling young again and having that extra drive with such a young group helps,” Brown said.

“Their enthusiasm and passion for the game is just infectious, and even at my age you can grab onto that. You love that and it does make you feel younger and more invigorated.”

Physically and mentally, the veteran Saint is in the best shape of his career, but he knows full well it’s in its twilight stages.

And for Nathan Brown, there can be no regrets.

“I’ve really had the attitude of just enjoying everything, whether it be hard or not,” Brown said about his time in the red, white and black.

“I’m just enjoying things for what they are, because one day I’ll wake up and it won’t be there anymore, and I’ll want to go back and do it.”

Don’t Panic !!

Nathan Brown
21 disposals, six marks, six tackles
“It’s always hard to measure leadership and I guess what Browny’s able to bring in terms of that was solid. He soldiered on well for us and his ability to come forward and influence was very good for us. He’s a professional footballer, he knows the drill, he’s played nearly 200 games and he’s a premiership player, so he understands the system [after being omitted] and he understands what he needs to do to get back into the AFL squad. He’s a team man, he’s a selfless person and he’s made of the right stuff.”

Nathan Brown
15 disposals, three marks, three tackles
“I thought he showed outstanding leadership for us, Browny. It’s what you’d expect from him, but I thought it was a solid game. He got our defence sorted, he got us organised behind the ball and his contest work was really good for us. His experience is invaluable.”

Nathan Brown
18 disposals, 13 kicks, five marks
“Browny’s an experienced campaigner and it shows. We really, really rate his positioning and rate what he does behind the ball for us. His ability to get us into a spot that can enable us to bounce back and attack was really good.”

Nathan Brown is firming as a likely candidate to bolster the defensive stocks, with the 30-year-old left out of last week’s match to combat Fremantle’s smaller forward line.

With Harry McKay, Levi Casboult and Mitch McGovern all dangerous forward options, Brown’s experience could help curtail their firepower.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back